Thread: carb question

Default carb question

Hi, got a q for all you knowledgeable people. I have an ITC Scirocco with the weber 32/36 DGV carb. The standard problem with these is that with the carb mounted so the bowl is on the driver's left it is extremely sensitive to float height changes, i.e. if the float level is too high it bogs in left turns (fuel sloshing out of the bowl into the venturi) but is OK in right hand turns, and conversely if the float level is too low it bogs in right turns (jets get uncovered and mixture leans way out). Reading the GCRs carefully has led me to believe that I can change the mounting of the carb so that the bowl is in front: I believe this is legal since the GCR doesn't specify the construction of the carb adapter and is says that the carb linkage is free. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks in advance...

D.1.a.1 states that
    1.Certain cars have optional carburetors listed.On these
    cars,adaptor(s)may be used to mount the optional
    carburetor(s),provided the adaptor serves no
    performance function,i.e.,plenum chamber,etc.

It appears that you can change the carb orientation if the adaptor you propose to build isn't too wild and doesn't appear to affect performance.

BTW, what float levels are you experimenting with. My ITB Capri has similar problems.

36 ITB Capri
    41 VW NASA GTI Cup