Thread: Body Panels

Default Body Panels

I want to replace the nose on my rabbit, I have a complete donor car and was wondering if there is a way to take the fenders and front end body panels off as one unit. I did this years ago on another car. Any info is helpful, thanks.

You'll want to take the fenders and hood off before you cut the front clip off the donor car. Makes it easier.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Just pulled the fenders off my spare/new car. What a pain in the ... not a tough job but would have been a simple one with out all the under coating and caulking, I spent my time alternately cursing and blessing the guy at the factory with the ambitious undercoating job. Thanks for keeping it rust free, and damn you for gunking it up, I had to literally unbury the inner fender bolts. So, any suggestions on cleaning the under coating off the uni-boby??? Thanks

Yeah, that undercoating is a royal PITA. I've used a torch and burned it in the past, just so I could get to the bolts. At $50/each, aftermarket fenders are not looking like such a bad deal.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

If you can find them. I crunched a fender last year on my 83 GTI and I couldn't find an aftermarket fender. I called and was told that they had been discontinued.

I bought a junk yard fender for $35, worked hard to remove it and it still got a little bent when I pulled it off and the gunk kept it glued to the car.

Joe

Joe,

Someone posted on VWVortex.com that they had a source for aftermarket A1 body panels. Fenders were $50 or so. Also, I believe JCWhitney has them as well.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Can't vouch for them personally but take a look at http://www.autobodypartsonline.com/ - about $40 before shipping for Rabbit fenders, if I was looking a the correct page.

Kirk

$39.95 I will give them a try. Thanks

You can also call Rapid Parts and ask for the real cheap Indian made fenders.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment