Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam Question

Yes, "026 G" is one of the 3 or 4 U.S. OEM cams allowed for a hydraulic lifter ITB Golf. I don't remember how it compares with the other choices, but it was original in MANY U.S. cars (and definitely the 1985 10:1 GTI). My recollection is that this one is only the second best choice, in that it has more lift but less duration than one of the others.

All 1988-92 1.8L 8V Golfs sold in the U.S. were 10:1, as well as 1985-1987 GTIs.

The real "049 N" cam was an OEM assymetric SOLID lifter 1.8L cam, designed by VW to make the big-valve head compliant with certain emissions standards. It's better than some other stock cams, but it's only similarity to the 049 G is that the exhaust lift is similar enough to fool the unwary. I probably don't know and certainly can't prove its original model application. BE VERY CAREFUL, THIS CAM WILL HURT PERFORMANCE AND BE LITERALLY NON-COMPLIANT IN ITC due to an exhuast lift slightly greater than allowed for the "G" cam. I've also seen examples of this cam that were MISLABELED "049 G", but made in Mexico or Brazil rather than Germany.

The "049 G" cam, as has been correctly described, was a homologated and/or superceding part number for the small-valve cylinder heads (1.5/1.6/1.7, NOT 1.8L). I don't know the history of the paperwork, but I do know something that most don't. This cam WAS actually imported on U.S. cars. It came as original on at least some 1973-1976 AUDIs sold in the U.S. With the VW/Audi remanufactured cylinder heads being in very high demand into the early '80s (apparently due to valve guide problems), and the core acceptance policy of taking any such VW/Audi 1.5/1.6/1.7L head WITH cam for rebuilding for warranty repairs, the VWOA recycled cams legitimately ended up in a number of stock cars, both unintentionally AND intentionally.

P.S. -- I think of the "049 N" cam as VWs attempt to implement EGR without an airpump! The intake lift is MUCH less than the exhuast, and the overlap leaves a lot on the table (more accurately, it leaves a lot of exhuast in the mixture).

AFAIK, all real "049 G" cams were made in Germany. Anything from south of the border is probably an N cam, no matter what it's stamped. If in doubt, just compare intake and exhaust lifts. The G has equal lifts.

My understanding is that an exact copy of the "049 G" is allowed in ITC, even if it's not an OEM cam. This sounds fair since it can be difficult to get a real one (and VERY expensive from the VW dealer, who can't even guarantee in advance whether or not it will be German).

eric,

it is my understanding that the only two cams allowed in ITB solid lifter motor (jh) is either the 049 J cam or the 049 H cam. The J being the better of the two. where does this 049 N come into play? It is my understanding that since they do not make the j or the h anymore it might be possible to get the g listed as a replacement, like for the ITC cars. But that aside, where does this 049 N come from, is it better than the J, never heard of it before.

Derek

The cam in question is not a legal ITB camshaft. The part # for that cam is 049109101GH. The cam is a Brazilian made part for the cross flow VW motor. 027.7 is stamped on the cam and it is a hydraulic cam.

Does any one know what the lift on the 049 J Cam should be? (1.8l solid lifter engine) The one i've got is much less than the .406 on the 1.6l.

Mark

Originally posted by Mark LaBarre:
    Does any one know what the lift on the 049 J Cam should be? (1.8l solid lifter engine) The one i've got is much less than the .406 on the 1.6l.

Mark
    I believe it's .394

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI