Thread: Rear disc for 90 golf

Default Rear disc for 90 golf

What car did the disc come will ? So I can get me a pair for my 90Golf gl. Thanks

I beleive it was 1985 GTI only that came with the rear discs.

------------------
    Sam Rolfe
    TBR Motorsports
    #85 VW Rabbit

I'm pretty sure all the GTI's came w/ rear disc, and maybe the GT. Also, the Jetta GLI.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

The GT didn't. Or at least not the 87-88 ones.
    Ralf
    87 Golf GT

Setting aside the fact that drums are a pain in the backside to work on, you might ask if it is really an advantage to do the conversion. Some would argue that the friction inherent in the disk system could be considered a cost, in terms of speed, and that the drums provide all of the braking that the rear wheels can handle, anyway.

I think that the master cylinder, parking brake cables, and other bits are different, I think, so the swap might require more time, hardware and $$ than might first seem to be the case...

Just a thought.

Kirk

Originally posted by itcracer34:
    What car did the disc come will ? So I can get me a pair for my 90Golf gl. Thanks

The CIS-E 8V and all 16V GTIs came with rear disks. The digifant 8V GTIs have drums. Some guys I know prefer the drums because they can have the pads relined with material garaunteed to slip, to assist brake biasing - seems strange to me, but that's what they say.

Chris

Only some of the Digi 8v cars had drums.
    But it doesn't matter to ITB as you can run whatever you want.

However, Kirk's comments are correct. The rear disks on a Golf 2 are actually too good once you take all the weight out of the car.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport Volkswagen Racing Equipment

I run rear drums on my car (87 Golf), when I was adding suspension to the car, I asked Shine Racing about the swap because the previous owner of my car had the stub axles and everything (less the proportioning valve located on the axles of the disc cars) to do the swap. Shine told me not to waste my time because the drum parts are cheaper and are fine the way they are. If it ain't broke don't fix it, I think they said. Spend time and money optimizing the weight balance of the car for better handling and braking. Just my .02 cents. JOE

I just got done knocking a 85 Golf Gti in the head and you are welcome to the complete braking system(4 wheel disk).
    It is in Omaha.E mail me if you need this.