Thread: Confused

Default Confused

Please help me break down the Models of Golf and their associated classes please...

Start with the 85 Golf GTI.

Here is the "easiest" way to read it: 1985-1992 Golf/Jetta 8v are ALL ITB. 16v1.8L are ITA, and 16v2.0L are ITS. Now, this is one of the few cars were SO many parts are interchangeable. For example, 1985-1992 Golf GTI/GL/GT 8vs, can use 13 or 14 inch wheels, rear disc or drum, check the GCR for the rest. I know I am opening up a can of worms with my post, but GENERALLY speaking, the motor is the major distinction between these classes. I know the trans are all NOT swapable, yada yada yada, but I do not feel like rewriting the GCR here

Alan

...and the MkIII 2.0 is listed in ITA ('93 only I think).

Kirk

Kirk,

Sorry about that....I did not consider the MkIII (A3) body styles, but I am sure you are right. However, those are slow as dog doopy in ITA , compared to the 16v1.8L A2.

Thanks for the clarification,
    Alan

I just feel bad for the poor thing, neglected as it is. I think that I asked a long time ago but don't recall getting an answer - has anyone actually tried to run one yet or are we all just assuming that it is a dog? Maybe it's like a Honda Accord and "races better than the sum of its parts"!

Kirk

I have spoken with Shine and a few others about this car in ITA, and it would not fare so well, HOWEVER, in ITB, it could be a potential threat (this is where testing and track times would prove it's potential). The ITA classification is just like the Accord going there, not going to be much of a top competitor.

Alan