This is quite an active forum... perhaps I can lean upon the combined experience of the group.

I've gotten rid of my open track Mustang, and want to race in SCCA in the San Francisco Region. I purchased a solid 1980 Scirocco with the intent of prepping it for ITC in time for the driver's school next spring. I've ordered the GCRs, but they don't ship for a couple weeks. I'm on a tight budget, but I can dedicate the time to build the car myself. For me, I think 1/2 the fun will be in building it.

Anyway, I have quite a few questions...

[list][*]Is there anyone in the Sacramento area running a Rabbit/Scirocco who I can talk with? I think getting hooked in to a network of local racers is the best way to learn. My intent would be to contribute, not just to leech. Anyway, if there is anyone in the Sacramento/Placerville area, I would love to hear from you... [email protected][*]The car has an aftermarket sunroof... I assume I have to remove it & fill in with sheetmetal, correct? Time to pull out the MIG...[*]What is a good starting point for suspension? I know Ground Control is local, but it would be nice to get a view on what is out there, and what works well. I'm not opposed to used parts if the price is right...[*]What seats are people running? What works? I'm 6'4", 200lbs, so seat selection might be a bit problematic.[*]My #1 goal is to get out on the track & start learning with spending a minimum of money. I believe the best way to do this is to spend on safety gear, basic car maintenance & prep (motor & trans seem solid), and the suspension. From there, I believe the best investment is in the "nut behind the wheel". However, for the money I do have, where are most of the gains to be had? Front-end suspension tuning? Lightening? Chassis stiffening? etc.[*]The car needs a clutch. What's the good, low-buck/junkyard setup?
[list]

Probably should stop there...

Thanks in advance for those who reply. I'm really looking forward to digging in and building a safe, clean, reliable, and (hopefully) competitive, car.

shan