Thread: New Respect for you VW Racers

Default New Respect for you VW Racers

I had to change the fuel filter in my daughter's '91 Golf this past weekend. I was astounded by the brilliance of the design team who thought it was a good idea to mount the damn thing under the floor near the fuel tank!! It is the first time that I had to jack up a car to renew a fuel filter! Next time I find myself door handle to door handle with a GTI I'll appreciate it a bit more, for what you guys have to contend with to be out there.
    Dave
    O=00=O

Gee Dave, I figured the next time you found yourself door handle to door handle w/ a GTI, you'd give them a 'love tap'! J/K

You know I always enjoy racing w/ you, we have a lot of fun!!!!

As far as VW design goes, you should try chaning the alternator on a Rabbit w/ A/C!!

BTW, the fuel filter on my car is in the engine bay, right next to the fuel dist. (OEM location).

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

yes that fuel box under the car is a pain in the ass. when my wife and i built our car ours was rusted into place. no wonder with 236,000 miles on the clock. but other than that not a difficult car.
    enjoy

dave parker
    wdcr itb#13

Doesn't anyone else think its funny that Honda put their motors and tranny's in backwards???

Steve

------------------
    88 ITB Scirocco
    www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing

Thats ok steve, because half the time they
    have to look out the rearview mirror to see where they are going,with the funny spring rates they use to go "fast".

hmmm, maybe I'll have to get a set of those funny springs that make you go fast. Do they make them for VW's?

Steve

------------------
    88 ITB Scirocco
    www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing

You should try replacing a waterpump on a vr6.....pain in the arse is'nt the phrase for it!

Been there, done that! Had to do it on my '93 Corrado. And, not only is it a royal PITA to do, they charge you an arm and a leg for the thing!!! I mean, whoever heard of a billet aluminum water pump??? If I remember right, it was somewhere in the $200 range

I swear, based on the cost of the parts, I had to check to make sure the thing didn't have Porsche badges on it!!!!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Maybe they change things from the ill fated corrado days. I believe it was about $90 for a factory rebuilt water pump, and I did all the work myself. Anyway it was a learning experience to say the least, and I'm glad I took the time to sit down and figure it out myself.....the rear brakes are another pain in the arse story!

They must have changed things from the Corrado days, becaus short of having to 'screw' the pistons back in (same for all rear discs), the rear brakes were no problem at all.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

I just changed all 4 brakes on my Ford Expedition in the time it took me to change one rear brake on my VW Passat. What a pain in the ass getting the allen head bolts off for the caliper, and then retracting the piston. Of course I still like my VW better.
    Ralf