Thread: A1 vs A2 Tranny

Default A1 vs A2 Tranny

I have been looking to pick up a spare tranny for my 84 ITB Scirocco (maybe weld the diff's)and I know a guy parting out a 86 Jetta GLI (Wolfsburg)that has a 5 speed that looks a lot like mine. Do A2 transmissions fit/work in A1 cars? I currently am using a FF 5 speed. thanks

Based on a street conversion, I know the A1 trannys bolt up OK to the later A2/A3 engines. So the Jetta 5-speed should match your Scirocco. However, if I remember from my IT days, the tranny must match the gear ratios for the transmission listed for your car. The diff ratio is open per the ITCS. Get the Jetta tranny code stamped on the bellhousing and check the gear ratios to your current transmission. Regards, Ryan.

The most prevailing interpretation of the update/backdate thing allows you to use the entire transmission (as a unit, no swapping guts around) ONLY from other cars listed on the same line as your car.

If the 'box has the same designation/PN (and ratios) as one out of another ITB Scirocco--again, on that line--then you have a case. If not, though it seems like a simple answer, it is not going to be legal.

Kirk

Any 020 tranny will fit in an A1 car. The same does not hold for the A2 cars. For example, the Rabbit GTI's came w/ a 2H and a 4K (and allegedly an FK) transmission. Both are close ratios and have essentially the same final drive. However, the only one that will fit in an A2 car is the 4K. There are a couple of extra mounting bosses on the 4K case that aren't on the 2H case that are needed to mount it in an A2.

I'm not really all that up on Sciroccos, so I can't say what came w/ what. I do believe that all 8v Scriccos from '83 to '88 came w/ JH motors, although there is some information that indicates that the last of the 8v cars came w/ the HT motor. The JH is the solid lifter 8.5:1 motor from the Rabbit GTI's. I believe the HT is the hydraulic lifter 10:1 motor from the A2 GTI/GLI cars.

I have no idea what tranny codes came in the Sciroccos, but if there was a 2H or 4K offered in any year, you can use it.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

A 1986 Jetta GLI 8V came with a "9A" code tranny. This tranny is legal for use in a 1.8L ITB Scirocco since it was also the same tranny used in at least the 1986 Scirocco 8V. The final drive for the "9A" was 3.67, as opposed to the 3.94 of the 1984 "4K"; otherwise the two were the same. The "2H" is also legal since it came in the 1983 Scirocco Wolfsburg. This one is usually cheaper than the later ones b/c it won't usually fit a later Golf/Jetta. It is also slightly weaker but may have slightly less internal friction, and has a 0.91 5th instaed of the 0.89 fifth of the "4K". Unfortunately, many boneyard trannys have had the bellhousing (which has the code) replaced due to the infamous differential rivet self-machining problem. My list of allowed codes for the 1.8L 8V Scirocco includes FK (early '83), 2H (later '83), 4K ('84), 9A ('85-'87), and AUG ('88-up). The latter two can still be sourced from Cabriolets (and Sciroccos), as well as Golfs and Jettas (which fit with bolt-on externals -- note that the Golf/Jetta splined selector lever is slightly different and should also be swapped for the Scirocco part to avoid shifting problems).

Eric,

Great info!! I had always thought the 9A box was from the 16v cars, but you never know. It's not like VW was ever consistant in how they used parts, especially at the end of model years, and between models.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">note that the Golf/Jetta splined selector lever is slightly different and should also be swapped for the Scirocco part to avoid shifting problems).</font>

Not trying to be a PITA, but doesn't this violate the 'complete assembly' clause?

And to echo what Eric said re: 2H and 4K trannys, if you get one for your race car, have it checked out for SMS (Self-Machining Syndrome) and have the diff. rivets replaced w/ bolts.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Add to that list the "ACD" code, which is otherwise identical to the "9A" tranny.

The lever is external to the "assembly" since it came as original when a SCIROCCO was delivered from the factory with one of these transmissions (as opposed to a Golf). So, if anything, I would argue that it MUST be switched to the Scirocco lever when sourcing the tranny from a Golf/Jetta.

Eric,

Probably my mis-interpretation of which 'selector lever' was being referred to. Obviously the one in question is the one come from the shifter to the linkage. I was thinking of the one that's in the tranny that actuates the shifter forks.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Sorry for the confusion. The lever that I was referring to is the one attached to the backside of the trans with a single 13mm nut. The short plastic link attaches to the bottom of this lever, and the relay rod with cotter pin attaches to the top of the lever.

Has anyone actually experienced a self machined rivet failure referenced by Eric in a VW tranny? thanks

Campbell, I haven't experienced one, but I've seen trannys that have had this happen to them. It's not pretty.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

We had, I think, at least two with our rally Mk II's over the years. Uuuugly.

Kirk