Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fools who can't/won't read

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all those who have put up with, and answered, my newbie questions.

He's right, I don't own a GCR, nor am I a SCCA member, nor do I even have a car to race. But I'm hoping to make the move from 'speedvision' to club racer, and in no small part, the friendly and helpful folks on this board have motivated me to do so.

I think I might see your point, ITPERSON, if persons were posting questions asking for GCR rules recited line by line, or were actually trying to get by without buying the book. But clearly, most are trying to get a better understanding of what is involved, how others interpret the rules, and what works best. Still sounds like a good idea to me

I have no doubt then when I join, and build or buy my first car, one of the prerequesite purchases will be the GCR. And I have no doubt that after the purchase, I will continue to post questions in the hopes of bettering the sport for myself and anyone else who might gain insight from the postings.

Dan
    No number
    No car
    No experience
    Grateful poster/reader on it.com

Dan,

Let me encourage you to get started now rather than later. Eat saltines and ketchup for lunch for a couple of weeks (old college trick when we were broke, packages of saltines and ketchup are free), and put the savings to your SCCA membership - around $65 most places. Get the app at scca.org. While you're at it, find out what region you're in, and use the link onthe national site to get to their website.

Next, find out where they race, and when the next race is. Show up at the track around 7:30 AM on Saturday, and tell the first person you see that you want to learn to be a corner marshal. Wham! Before you know it, you'll be in the middle of the greatest group of people you've met. You'll learn more in that first weekend than you ever thought possible. It will all come together and start making sense.

If you have any money left, wander to the region's merchandise booth, and see if they have a GCR for sale. Buy it now. If you don't want to spend the money, ask one of the racers for their last-year's book. Learn to read it now, 'cause you won't believe how goofy it can get in a few places. Like most of the guys on this site, mine's falling apart and worn from 8 months of constant use.

Good luck, and start building experience now. The car can come later.

Don

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    And it would be much easier if the rules in the GCR were clear and direct. Problem is, they're not.
    Not only that, but there are a lot of $20 words that a culchie (hehe...any paddymen out there?) like me doesn't understand. I wish they'd use words with no more than 3 syllables.

------------------
    Glenn
    MARRS ITB #07
    dead...for now