Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Data Acquisition

I got my DL1 a couple weeks ago and am VERY jazzed about it. There's nothing like seeing WHERE one can go faster, rather than just having the grid sheet shouting that you SHOULD.

I look at it like this: Is there any other change that I could make to the car for that money, that is also capable of making my car four seconds a lap faster at VIR?

Nope.

K

I'm really looking forward to trying this at the track. BillW was very kind to share his VIR data. (Our lap times are similar.) I've learned a BUNCH about the software working with real data at a track I know. Now, how to use the data to improve lap times - I'll want to see my max lateral Gs, braking, etc through the important corners. Any advice from you guys with DA experience?

Thanks.

Scott

I have recently been answering some questions about interpreting Speed/RPM/LateralG graphs on this thread:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread...63685#post63685

Also, we have a data acquisition forum, and many of the older posts have a lot of good info in them. Check out:

http://p081.ezboard.com/fs2racingfrm4

David Furgeson,

What system exactly did you use to hook up the 12 IR tire temp sensors? That is the exact application I am looking into DA for.

Thanks,

Costas

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    Quick question: Do any, some, or all of these products overlay data onto the driving video?
    Gregg
    There is a system called 'DAVID' (AIM I think) which is really cool with graphical output, but goodly $ to buy. There is another that just uses text overlay

I thought of this idea 10yrs ago, and built my own with text overlay, dual axis gee, etc.. I was going to offer one commercially (for ~$1k including recorder), but with 2 small kids and now that bigger businesses are kicking in, I dropped the idea.

This is my favorite kind of logging.. not just numeric analysis, but you watch all the other factors that led to the data you got.

Costas -- sorry I never noticed the update to this topic got a new posting.

My IR temp sensors are connected to a Motec M816 expansion box. This communicates over the CANbus to the main ADL logger. The IR temp sensors are 0-5 volt sensors that are powered by 5 volt. We can adapt them to practically any system that can support a 5V input. The sensors are relatively low cost (the retail price is about $150 each), but we can work on a discount for 12 of them

David,
    Thanks for the info. We may indeed be doing some adapting. Ellen has my numbers and I am waiting for a DL1. I'm not sure if I can swing that outlay just yet, but I will as soon as I can. Thanks for all your (and Ellen's) help.

Costas

Has anyone heard any information about the GPS system from RackPak.

http://www.g2extreme.com/

I looks like it has a lot of the same features as the DL1 and it includes a dash. I also thing you can expand the unit via the CAN-Bus port and use RackPaks V-Net sensors.

Here is a response to a e-mail to sent for more information.

Ron,

The expected ship date is around the last of April, first of May. At this time,
    we do have a three auxiliary inputs. However, we have not determined exactly
    how those will be packaged. We will have the EFI can interface, with those
    aftermarket EFI units that we currently read.

If you would like, feel free to give me a call and we can discuss this
    in
    much more
    detail than what I can pass on, through this email.

Thanks for emailing,

Regards,

Tim Anderson
    Racepak Data Systems
    949-709-5555

[This message has been edited by RonInSD (edited April 14, 2005).]

Quick and dirty question - it appears the DL-1 is one of the best as far as being self-contained, portable, and not requiring external sensors. True or false?

I'm still doing research and I hope to have a systems before CMP May 31st.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

Originally posted by rlearp:
    Quick and dirty question - it appears the DL-1 is one of the best as far as being self-contained, portable, and not requiring external sensors. True or false?

I'm still doing research and I hope to have a systems before CMP May 31st.

True. I use the DL1, and for the $$$ and ease of use it's an amazingly powerful data acquisition and driving training tool.

Ron, if you have any specific questions about the DL1's capabilities from a user's perspective, e-mail me and I'll give you my phone number. I don't sell DL1's, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

scirocco14gp AT bellsouth DOT net

------------------
    Mark Coffin
    #14 GP BSI Racing/Action Digital/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme VW Scirocco
    http://pages.prodigy.net/Scirocco14gp

Come find me at VIR next week and I'll show you whatever you want to see with the DL-1.

K

Kirk, will do, I want to see some data from a track I know, that would help. I downloaded the software and test track, looks pretty decent, but looked like it'd take some time to set up the display to show the things one is interested in seeing. The price of any of these DA units is not cheap, but I can see where the benefits could easily outweigh the costs over a few events.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

The DL1 software (and others as well) will print out all sorts of pretty graphs, charts and plots. It's amazing the combinations of variables you can plot. You can literally get too MUCH information!

It's knowing what you're looking at and looking FOR that matters. And that is what takes time to learn, or an experienced data scrubber to help you with. If this person is also an engineer and a driver, understands chassis dynamics and the driver's mindset, you can improve the learning process and communication process tenfold.

The hardware and software is just the beginning of the puzzle! Giving someone a stethoscope, a scalpel, sutures and an ICD-9 book does not a doctor make!

MC

------------------
    Mark Coffin
    #14 GP BSI Racing/Action Digital/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme VW Scirocco

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited April 27, 2005).]

Ron:

I had hoped to be at VIR this weekend myself, but work got in the way so I can't make it.

But as Kirk can show you, usable information is only a few clicks away once you've got the data loaded.

The initial blank window is a bit intimidating I'll agree, so I guess that means we ought to post a quick start guide on the website along with the link to the demo software!

Any other questions please feel free to call, we're just up the road from you in Richmond.

Al Seim
    Action Digital Race Data Systems
    www.actdigital.com
    804 358-7289

There is one I just saw advertised in Grassroots that has a in-car real-time lap timer as well as the GPS datalogging system. $1000 complete. Anyone know anything about this one? I've got to check the magazine again to get the name.

Ron

Does anyone have any experience with the xtremex3 product?
    www.xtremex3.com

they seem to have GPS, and integrated video for close to 3k with one camera. Seems kind of pricey but then again, that includes the video overlay.

Traqmate - anyone know about this one?

Ron

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
    Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

Originally posted by rlearp:
    Traqmate - anyone know about this one?
    Ron
    I've been looking at the DL1, G2X and TraqMate. The TraqMate display is nice but the software is lacking to the other 2. Finally I think I'm going to go with the DL1 because I place I higher priority on the extra inputs over the in car display as a starting point, later I may add the DASH1. Non GPS systems are not an option for me because the system needs to easily move between cars, also under $1000 was another criteria and you can't get into an AIM system with GPS for that.

edit: also TraqMate has no functional inputs yet. It's in the hardware but the software does not support it and they dont' expect to have it for at least a year.

If you want GPS, <1000 and a display get the G2X, but if you value the inputs (G2X only has 2) over the display get the DL1. The DL1 software is slightly easier to use too. You can always add a display to the DL1, you&#39;ll always be stuck with 2 inputs on the G2X. Both use CF cards(up to 2GB!!).

------------------
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

Just an update. I've learned some additional information about the G2X unit and I have a G2X unit in hand for testing next week.

Additional info from Racepak:
    "Our G2X utilizes our Vnet canbus technology, so in reality you can add many
    sensors to the system..utilizing a single cable
    to route the data back to the G2X. Our Vnet technology allows the user to simply install our sensors, connect the sensor to the Vnet module, connect all the modules together in a daisy chain arrangement, then route a single cable from the modules back to the G2X. This allows us to create "smart sensors" that know their scaling and calibration values. The user simply instructs the G2X to "read" via the DatalinkII software...all new sensors are automatically added to the software, with appropriate channel name, calibration values, scaling values, logging rates etc.. automatically added.

While it appears we only have two available inputs, one is just an auxiliary wheel rpm input, while the other is the EFI interface...In all reality, the G2X is a full blown data logger. We just wanted to take our time going into this market, before rolling out all the bells and whistles.

The Vnet is something we created a few years back, which allows customers to easily add sensors, without the necessity of hiring an engineer to route a wire for each sensor, pick the type of sensor, calibrate the sensor, scale the sensor, etc. We just have not really highlight this aspect of the G2X, as we wanted our users to first become familiar with how to use the system, before adding additional items."

I want a display, GPS, and under $1000 - sensor input doesn't matter much to me but that is handled in either of the ones here. What on the Traqmate software was not good, mind you I've not seen much of either.

Ron

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
    Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"