Thread: Junk Titles and Racecars

Default Junk Titles and Racecars

Hey all. Ok, have yet another question. Ive located what looks like a good candidate for my ITB project, but there is an issue with the registration. Here in CA, where the DMV is akin to Satan, there are funky laws pertaining to registering cars. The one Im looking at is from model year 1981, so it is subject to smog certification rules (all cars 1976-newer have to be smogged). The guy Im looking to buy it from has a valid bill of sale from the city of Long Beach, as he bought it at auction there. However, he never registered it (long story, but seems pretty plausible). Now that he wants to sell it, according to CA law, it needs to be smogged. Unfortunately, its not in drivable condition (bad diff.). So, I though we could just do a non-op. NOPE! You can only do those within 60 prior or 90 days after the registration period (December, in this case). All regular registration fees need to be paid up to that point. The only way he can sell it to me that would work is to do a “Junk Title.” Basically, according to the DMV, the car would be treated like a parts car at a junkyard. I can do so many of those a year as a private citizen. The catch is that the wheels cannot be on a public road. That included towing… on anything other than a flatbed. You CAN tow it, but none of the wheels can touch the ground. Otherwise you have to get a one-day “transportation permit” to move it. The good part of that whole deal is that you do not have to register the car or have insurance on it (which you do in CA even if its non-op). Confused yet? Good.

So here is the question. Are there any rules stipulations regarding the title and registration of a race vehicle in the SCCA? Im sure you have to have legal ownership, but what is there beyond that? What do you guys do when the registration comes up? Do you just go for the non-op? Do you put the smog gear back on so it can pass the test? Im trying to figure out if this car would be more trouble than its worth due to the registration issue. Please help! Thanks!

Jive

I'm glad I live in Florida....There is not much needed other than legal ownership...signed title and bill of sale should suffice...a junk title shows ownership and once it is a race car the real title will be the logbook. You will want to trailer it to the races anyways...the public roads are far to dangerous to risk driving on with a precious race car with all those crazies...

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Originally posted by zracre:
    I'm glad I live in Florida...the public roads are far to dangerous to risk driving on with a precious race car with all those crazies...

I'm glad I moved from California to Florida.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Are there any rules stipulations regarding the title and registration of a race vehicle in the SCCA?</font>
    Nope. SCCA doesn't care.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Im sure you have to have legal ownership...</font>

Nope, SCCA doesn't care.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...but what is there beyond that?</font>

SCCA requires a valid VIN that corresponds to the equipment that came on that car, to which a logbook and rollcage number are affixed.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> What do you guys do when the registration comes up?</font>

It doesn't. My IT car is not registered with The State. Thus, I do not drive it on public roads.

If you choose to register your vehicle, you'll need to comply with the DMV laws of your state. Regardless, SCCA doesn't care.

Jive do not worry about it if you need to transport it just keep it above the ground even if you tow dolly it most cops wont give you a second look. It is not that big of a deal just do not leave it on the street or it will get towed or cited! Do you have a tralier and truck to move it? Glenn

So that you are thinking bigger picture, and just in case you decide that you want a multi-purpose car some day down the road. RALLY cars do need to be registered and insured (but they don't care in what state ).

If you never, ever want to register it, no worries!! Get a bill of sale and the title and never let the wheels touch the ground on a public road and you have no problem.

I would not risk tow dolly'ing a non registered car in CA as all it takes is a CHP to see it, pull you over and IMPOUND your car on the way to the track...that would suck !!! CHP's aren't near as likely to look the other way as a city cop/sherrif who has much bigger fish to fry.

If you must register it:

Get the back fees up to date, you should be able to obtain a temporary moving permit (tell them you need it to bring the car to a garage to have repairs completed and then to a smog station several days later). These are good until the end of the current month. Before that permit expires, non-op it. You may have better luck at an AAA office. They are able to take care of all DMV related stuff besides testing and they are a much friendlier group. Sometimes more ignorant about what can/can't be done as they often are acting as travel agents and passport photo takers, car loan officers or insurance agents.
    AAA membership doesn't cost too much either.

In CA you used to be able to non-op it at any time...they found too many people operating with expired tags and then non-op it, avoiding penalties and late fees.

[This message has been edited by Daryl DeArman (edited August 01, 2005).]

And I thought NJ DMV laws were wacky.

As to the issue of the SCCA.

The only thing the ITCS, is that if your race car is registered to be driven on public roads, it has to meet the DMV laws of your state. As far as a title, I bet a large part of the current IT cars out there have no title. And I'm sure the percentage goes up even more w/ Prod cars.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Jive, just don't sign any DMV forms, and just get the bill of sale.

If you really need a VW, let me know. I have a 75 ITC Scirocco that is just keeping the trailer on the ground. It's got a Quaife in it, that't the only reason I got the car.

Carb'd car that needs cage upgrades, and is about 80% finished.

some pictures are @

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/trailer/

These pictures are for the trailer, but you can see the Rocco on it, and what's left of my Cabiolet parts car. It's basically a 2 wheeled dumpster.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com