Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on new car please

I've got him covered. My skills are quite good now and I don't know what else I'd do in the paddock.

I see people sitting still sometimes in a chair and I think to myself "What is wrong with that guy is he hurt? Shouldn't he be doing something?". Occasionally I'll see someone hoist a beer after 5pm too, and I think, "Dang, if I didn't have to rebuild these carbs I'd have one of those too!". Oh well, all in fun!

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
    Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

Originally posted by rlearp:
    He needs one of each JUST IN CASE, one of them is working the other will need repair. We wouldn't want anyone actually driving a car, would we?
    That's why a British car was the ultimate "date" car b/c it wasn't a matter of if but more when the car would break down and leave you stranded. Besides, one doesn't drive a British car, one motors (and walks and pushes). So many British car jokes (that aren't jokes as much as they are actual observations) and so little time...

The Miata is the Japanese answer to the classic British sports car - it's cute and nimble but it lacks the character that make British sports cars what they are today. Miatas start without fail, they don't leak water on a misty day and (unlike the TR8 that was perpetually "winking") their headlamps both rise and fall TOGETHER!!

Oh heck - I can't resist...

Lucas Electricals - the accidental inventor of the intermittent wiper...

[This message has been edited by mgyip (edited July 14, 2005).]

Why did the Yugo come with the rear window defroster?

Hand Warmer.

Tim

Originally posted by racer_tim:
    Why did the Yugo come with the rear window defroster?

Hand Warmer.
    I feel a challenge coming on...
    My favorite, seen at the Jefferson 500 @ Summit Point many, many years ago:

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start

Andy,
    You can believe what you want. I can only go from experience. The actions I've seen coming from the upper echelon of the SCCA is to guide club racing more towards a professional level. Improved Touring is looked at as the ugly step child of old racers and their confused crew. We have made enough noise to occassionally gain some respect, but only as a developing ground for professional racing. That's fine and good; wish I wasn't so old that I couldn't take advantage of it. The "handi-capping" some cars by weight and moving them down in class is an excellent step forward, but by their own admission, the comp board will not move fast on such things. All it will take to reverse the change is for another make to dominate a class and a bunch of formerly competitive drivers to write the comp board complaining.
    I may speak in terms of "ancient history" that seem to aggravate you, but I'll stand by what I say. If the 1800 gets moved down to ITA...great. But if I was going to build one for that class, I'm afraid the chassis would be well worn out before it was moved down from ITS...as would I.

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

MGYIP?

Is that the TR8 that finished 13 places ahead of you at SARRC/MARS last year in the Sunday race? Saturday I had a plug wire off.

Car ran 2:22 last fall in basically my first year as a driver. It's capable of more, when it runs (admittedly a problem).

I'd watch how you post stuff on here, I don't think you meant anything nasty but lots of folks read the board and might have a different perspective on your opinion.

Originally posted by JeffYoung:
    Is that the TR8 that finished 13 places ahead of you at SARRC/MARS last year in the Sunday race? Saturday I had a plug wire off.
    That would be the same car - I have the video in Oak Tree where I had to lock up the brakes to keep from hitting you when the car died. It left quite an impression in my mind since I really didn't want to shorten your car or mine. Considering my spin on the 2nd lap of the Sunday race in '04 due to my own stupidity, 13 places behind the TR8 (2 sec/lap slower) was fine by me.

Originally posted by ITAMiata:

I could opt for a 240 already built like Kirk has but I know absolutely nothing about them. Your thoughts there?
    Back on topic. Sounds like you had an eventful flight. Glad to hear all is OK now.

About the 240 in ITA. I have a well built one. Bought it built which brings up the problem of not knowing how something was done previously. However, with a basic .040 rebuild, the car is very fast and competitive. (4 NER races this year..1 win...2 3rds and a 7th after a vacuum leak issue..qualified on front row for each race (1 pole)).

I am also selling it. Email me for details @ mazdaracing17 (at) yahoo.com.

Jeremy

OK, no need to worry about me in a Baby Grand. After going over the car I will need a new radiator, new seat, new belts and new shocks (destroyed all four). Oh, and a new donor car. I already have the radiator, and Dave is going to set me up with new belts and a seat. I'm still working on the donor car, but spoke to Mitch about a cage, and the guy who is going to build the car for me thinks he can have a new one ready for me to go by MARRS VII if I can get a donor car ready for him when he is done with MARRS VI. So, assuming a car can be obtained, and a cage put in (and the shocks get here in time) you will all see me out there in my very own new 1.6 liter for MARRS VII!

If I can find one I'm going to put a George of the Jungle sticker on the new car.....

Bill

bill, bill, bill of the jungle friend of you and me.

Originally posted by ITAMiata:
    OK, no need to worry about me in a Baby Grand.
    Shucks - I was going to sell tickets to watch you get in and out of a Baby Grand...

Too bad about the suspension but at least you now know what's good and what's bad. How did the rest of the driveline fare?

Well, everything under the car looked OK, but I guess I'll know for sure when the they begin to pull things out of the old car and out them in the new car. The headers and exhaust were still intact. I couldn't believe that. Damn things break EVERY year at VIR and yet survive that wreck. Amazing.

Maybe you have enough welds ont he exhaust that its now indestructable