Thread: Jay Wright - RIP

Default Jay Wright - RIP

I have not been posting much lately (so sorry if this is a repost), but I just received this via e-mail this morning:

"Within the last week we lost two SOWDIV members.

Bob Ferstl (#1FA) is gone. I did not know Bob, but enjoyed watching him pilot his Formula Atlantic over many seasons.

Jay Wright of Houston Region, Carolyn Wright's husband. Jay was crippled in a Runoffs crash over a decade ago, continued to contribute to the club in many ways. An engineer with NASA, he developed the Wright Device to give club racers HANS-like protection for minimal cost, and gave the design away for free. Last weekend complications from those old injuries finally got the best of him.

RIP Jay.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

This is very sad news. I never met Jay personally, but working with him for the SFI testing was a pleasure and I only wish I could have helped more.

God speed, Jay.

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

I considered Jay a close friend, and I'm deeply sorrowful to hear this news.

I met Jay back in the mid-80s when we were both racing Dodges, first in IT then in Showrom Stock. Jay was always willing to offer anything you needed, and his intellect was far above the rest of us. Jay's bounce back from his Runoffs accident was more than impressive, with his having suffered an injury that I suspect would have mentally destroyed most of us. Not Jay.

His cleverness and dogged determination for promotion of low-cost, high-quality head and neck support resulted in its approval to technical and political ends. I am proud to have been one of the original customers (and cheerleaders) of his Wright Device. I hope I never have to test it, but if I do I'm confident it will live up to its legacy.

Happy trails, old pal.

My friend and I wrecked together this past Sunday and went airborne (after I plowed into a tree at roughly 100 mph). I'm glad my friend and I are both still here and I am very sorry to hear your friend no longer is. My sympathies for all of you and his family.

Bill Hollinger

This is a great loss. When I last spoke with Jay he told me he had been in the hospital and was not feeling well. Something to do with his kidneys, IIRC. This is not a surprise, but that does not lessen the loss.

I wonder, has anyone heard whether Jay was able to test his design at Delphi last week? As I recall it was scheduled for the 5th. It would be fitting if he finally received the recognition he deserved.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Jay Michael Wright, P.E., 54, passed away Sunday, July 10, 2005. Wright was an award-winning NASA Engineer and SCCA Champion race car driver.

Wright served in the U.S. Army from 1968 - 72. He was awarded the National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Cross of Gallantry, Army Commendation Medal, and a Meritorious Unit Citation.

Wright was educated at John C. Calhoun Community College and the University of Alabama Birmingham where he earned his B.S. in Engineering, Chemistry and Mathematics. He also earned a graduate degree in Biochemistry. He was awarded membership in the Phi Theta Kappa National Jr. College Scholastic Society and the Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society. Jay was a Professional Engineer – Metallurgy.

Jay Wright had worked as a Quality Assurance Engineer for Alabama Power Company. He joined Boeing Aerospace Operations in Houston as a consulting engineer to NASA. Wright began working for NASA - Johnson Space Center in 1987 as a Materials Research Engineer and Aerospace Engineer. During his NASA career, Mr. Wright received several Superior Accomplishments Awards and Technical Brief Awards. His many publications included “The Wright Method for Determination of Lot Homogeneity of Fastener Samples.” In 1991 he received a Patent Award for U.S. Patent, “Quick Application/Release Nut with Engagement Indicator.” Recently, Wright had designed, built, and tested a prototype for a propulsion system he named “The Bargmann Drive.”

Wright’s success extended to his passion for motorsports. Jay joined the Sports Car Club of America in 1977 where he competed in SCCA Regional, National and Runoff’s races until 1995. Jay won several Regional and Divisional Championship titles. In 1993, Wright was involved in a racing incident which left him paralyzed below the chest. In spite of his disability, Jay returned to racing. He designed and raced a hand-control-equipped race car which he raced in SCCA Pro Racing’s Neon Challenge. Wright later served as an SCCA National Steward.

Wright was also passionate about racing safety. He provided input to the SCCA Competition Board which resulted in changes that have increased safety for drivers. Wright also developed a head and neck restraint system, “The Wright Device,” which was successfully tested at Wayne State.

Wright is survived by his wife, Caroline Bargmann Wright, and his dedicated service dog, Henri. Visitation will be Friday, July 15 from 4-6 P.M. at Jeter Funeral Home, 311 N. Friendswood Dr., Pearland, TX. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to Texas Hearing and Service Dogs, 4803 Rutherglen, Austin, TX 78749. THSD plans to name a future service dog in Jay’s memory.

Wow.....

That's not the kind of news I like to read.

One of the travesties of life is that obits like the one above aren't circulated before death...I know that sounds weird, but I would have really liked to have known all of that a long time ago.

I knew Jay was a guy with "integrity" as a middle name, but after reading the details, it is obvious that he was a true asset to society.

Baker has always had nothing but high praise for Jay...seems he was understating the truth...

Thanks George, Gregg and Greg.

But..mostly ....thank YOU, Jay.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited July 13, 2005).]

I met Jay at the first SCCA Club race that I attended. I remember that Henri was wearing his SCCA ID walking with Jay around the paddock at TWS talking to people and hanging out. That was my first indication that SCCA Club Racing is so much more than just competition, but a "Club" where friends are made.

Rest in Peace, Jay.

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Roswell, GA

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    Wow...

Baker has always had nothing but high praise for Jay...seems he was understating the truth...
    Wow is right. 90% of this I never knew.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com