Thread: New to IT, looking for advice

Default New to IT, looking for advice

I just started converting my retired '96 Integra into an IT car, and am looking to get a feel for things before competing (my previous experience with racing has been Solo as well as heavy involvement in SAE clubs in college).

I have started going to the local events and volunteering for different tasks (T&S, and flagging in a few weeks) to see how things work at the track, but am wondering what else would be recommended?

I have been told that some teams need volunteers to crew, is that correct?

Yes.

But it would be helpful to state where you live, what tracks you have worked at and whether you go to your local region meetings to meet club racers.

If you meet people and show an interest and reliability, you would be welcome into anyone's crew. You may even get some reciprocal help with building your car!

the 94 95 Integra is an ITA car now...I know the 96 on should be too...just a clarification of the rules i think...im not sure if it made its way down to ITA from ITS yet....should be a real competitive car with that B18B. My car is a 92 (B18A) still with the stock motor and it seems pretty competitive. Get as much time at the track doing anything and look around at what people have done and start getting stuff. The time at the track will motivate you and you will learn alot from others mistakes. Also study the GCR and know it well...knowledge pays big dividends in the future....

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

[This message has been edited by zracre (edited July 12, 2005).]

I live in Syracuse NY, and I started going to the local meetings a few months back, but have not meet many club racers (it is mostly a Solo region). I live about an hour from the Watkins Glen track, so that is where I have been going so far, but I am not averse to traveling.

The '96 Integra is classed as ITA in the 2005 GCR (after seeing your post I double-checked... You had me nervous for a second!) I was at the Nationals this last weekend, no IT cars (obviously), but I did learn quite a bit talking to some of the teams (I already had to fix a few things on the braking system after talking to a driver of a Prelude, and it seems I would have been better off getting Duron suspension bushings instead of the polyurethane…)

Well you could always make it up to the July sprints next weekend. Many from this board will be there and I just got an e-mail calling for hands to help with PIT, F&C and T&S.

Absolutely--Get on down to the Glen on the 23rd.

Contact someone at the Glen Region, SCCA. It's their race and should be a big field!