Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on First Car

Default Opinions on First Car

First, I am new to this forum and the IT class. For more than 3 years I have been the crew chief for a CFC team that somehow mananged to become the 2004 SARRC champions. We want to add another car so I can drive as well.

I am leaning towards ITS or ITA and would like some opinions on what would be a good car to start with. A rear wheel drive car is preferred but I am open to all ideas at this point. Budget is about $15K for car, enclosed trailer, safety gear and any car specific required items. Timing wise, the goal is drivers school at Roebling next Feb.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

------------------
    Tom Sprecher

ITS RWD:
    * BMW 325i - Top dog when well developed, but expensive. Hit with a restrictor plate this year.
    * RX-7 - Probably 2nd in potential in the class. Easy to find cars and go-fast parts. Lots of information available. My favorite. Should fit your criteria.
    * Z (240, 60, 80) - Good ones can run with the RX-7s. Harder to find parts.
    * Porsche (I think the 944S is supposed be be competitive, but it might be hard to develop it.
    * Others are less common and not commonly seen up front.

ITA RWD (I'm not as well versed in this class, especially since the realignment last winter):
    * Miata?
    * Fiero?
    The CRX usually runs up front. RX-7 is not competitive.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

In ITA the Miata is doing well and is rwd. To see two ITA Miatas from the recent VIR race go to: http://homepage.mac.com/billh96007/PhotoAlbum140.html

Brett in the #74 car took pole for both races and finished 1st in the Sunday race (he broke something in the Sat. race). I was in the #38 car and took 2nd Sat. and 3rd Sunday.

Bill

Send me an email. I have an RX-7 for sale and race in the SARRC series. I am sure you have seen my car before. We can arrange use of the car for the drivers school if you would like to get some seat time prior to making your decision.

I am also offering trackside support for the first few races to the purchaser of my car.

Nick Gurucharri

My direct email is [email protected] or I may be reached at 786.302.2322. Located in Florida

Nissan 240sx in ITA - rear drive, pretty reliable, should be reasonably competitive, lots of parts...

K

What Kirk said. Just make sure you look at the S13 (12v). The S14 (16v DOHC) runs in ITS, and right now, doesn't run w/ the other ITS cars mentioned.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

While not as learned as the other folks on this board, I just went through what you did for getting a first car. Don't do what I did and build an oddball car unless that is your nature.

Were I doing it all over again I think I would select the S14 240sx for S, or the 2nd Gen RX7 for S. With one car you'd get to have the fun of developing and maybe winning, with the other car you'd know it has the potential to run with the top dogs if you get it done right and you are able.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

Jeez, Tom, aren't you busy enough?

The one thing you didn't tell these guys was how tall you are. Miata's and Fiero's are going to be a little tight for you.

For me, the choices would be pretty simple.

For ITS: A second gen RX-7. It's plenty fast, and can be had fairly reasonably. The motor will run forever, unlike those FC motors you're used to. A lack of torque in the rotor-motor makes 'em feel a little slow off, but they're not. The CRB seems like they want to reel in the BMW, so this might be the car for the class.

For ITA: The 240SX. I don't know alot about these, all that matters is that they're RWD, and not a Honda!

The other thing I'd do, is forget about the enclosed trailer, and spend the extra money getting absolutely the best car I could afford. I'm sure Mark will let you you change into your suit in his shiny new trailer!

Chuck Newman
    #57 BSI SM

Chuck,

We saw Court last race weekend at Savannah but you were no where to be found. What about the Kershaw ECR? You guys need to do another of those Low Country Boils like at the ARRC last year. Or we'll do the brats, burgers and beer.

Anyway, I want to drive now and Mark's car is pretty well settled out. He set a track lap record last weekend at Roebling for CFC with a 1:12.999. So, I figure it's time to get a car. At first I thought about SPO (3-4 yr old ARCA or Busch rollers start at $12-15k and there are dozens to choose from) but I need to walk before I run and SPO or GT1 would require me to sell my house for something with a larger and flat lot. My driveway is quite a hill to say the least and there is now way to get a GT1 or SPO up it.

Now an IT car could easily do it. I park the Harley in the basement and my wife still keeps her SUV in the other side. She's happy, I'm racing and we don't have to move. The trailer is parked at a RV storage site or on my new best friend's property so if anybody reading this needs a best friend call me so I can save $50 a month.

The BMW's seem to really dominate, but are too rich for my blood. Plus, I thought I read they are making them run restrictor plates soon. The 2nd gen RX-7 seems the way to go for ITS, but I have not seen to many for sale. 1st gen there seems to be a few available so I might run IT-7 on the cheap.

The 240sx looks interesting but seem few and far between on the track and might take a lot of development as well. Also, I heard the drifter crowd snaps up most cars that come up for sale.

So, I'll keep looking, asking questions and with a little help I hope to figure out IT? like I did CFC.

------------------
    Tom Sprecher

Another one I forgot to mention, and is rear wheel drive, and is stil damn competitive - a 240z. Obtainable, lots of parts, and I consider them very reliable and not that expensive to run.

For me the major things are an "S" car and rear wheel drive, this might be a good choice. Our 260z is moving toward being competitive, against the 240zs, so I feel the 240s might be a nice choice.

I think BMWs should be running restrictors right now if I remember the rules correctly.

Ron

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

Tom, the S13 240sx's are great cars, but as mentioned above they are the car of choice for the drift and import crowd. Because of that, they are getting harder to find cheap and a lot of them are trashed if you do find one. But I highly recommend them. (Warning, do not use my results as a benchmark for the car's capabilities. I suck as a driver. Your results may vary.)
    HA!

------------------
    Tristan Smith
    Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56

Damn Tristan. If you suck, then I must really suck. Oh, wait...I do really suck, but I'm getting better. Tristan's suckiness netted him 5th in the SARRC in ITA last year. Wish I could suck like that.

Didn't somebody have an ITA 240SX for sale? Forget if I saw it here or in Sports Car or somewhere else, but pretty sure I saw one.

David

After looking at last years points it looks like Tristan sucks as much as he brags about being a great driver. 5th out of 22 possible is nothing to sneeze about. We had 4 possible, but formula classes are like that.

If the event that an IT7 car comes up where can I find the rules for that class?

------------------
    Tom Sprecher

Well, thanks for the good words. Actually Geoff Churchill is selling a partially built car. That's in the Atlanta Region SCCA Classifieds. You may want to at least give the ad a look-over. And David, you'll probably be passing me at the July race! See you then.

------------------
    Tristan Smith
    Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56

[This message has been edited by Tristan Smith (edited May 17, 2005).]

Tom, if you can bear to drive a FWD car in ITA, I have a friend that's selling his primo-prep Saturn. It's this car:

http://www.teamscr.com/forsale.htm

...but he bought it from Walker and it's now in New England. Jeff drove it in two schools last year but he just has too many personal priorities to race it. This car is really prepped well, and I think it has a lot of potential in ITA. Hell, I wish I had the money to buy it myself!

It comes with everything listed on that web site plus 10 new tires, new hood, and a second exhaust that he fabricated for New Hampshire (the original one was too loud). I did the annual insepction on it a month ago, it's in great condition and the only thing I had to write him up for was lack of appropriate tow hooks. He's asking $10K, and it's worth every penny. jeff02740 at hotmail dot com

Tom, I just posted my ITS 240sx (s14) for sale and it happens to be in your price range. The car is fully sorted and developed. I was on pole last SARRC event on Sat morning but DNF because of slight altercation with BMW that put me in sand trap. Sunday was third place. Don't be fooled, these cars are competitive but take alot of work to get them there, but I already did it. The car is race ready and has spares available as well. My contact info is Chris Newberry<[email protected]> or 404-314-5042. The car is located in Atlanta but I can meet you within a couple hundred miles for delivery. Enclosed trailer also available.

Tom, I too have a racecar for sale. It is a 91' ITS Mazda RX-7. I am asking slightly above your price range but am sure we could work something out. The car is a consistant front runner and is extremely well sorted. I have been actively racing the car in the southeast since 00'. There is an extensive spares package included with the car. I am currently racing in Grand-am Cup with the new Mazda RX-8 and do not have the time to race the "S" car. [email protected] or 786.302.2322. I will deliver within reasonable distance...and provide trackside support at first several races anywhere in Southeast.

Well, I wouldnt rule out miata's for ITA.
    Even if your tall you may still fit. I'm 5'11" and fit easily in my street miata.
    They are cheap, built like tanks, and are truly the most communicative street chassis I have ever driven, and I've owned everything from a 2004 cooper S to an 88 CRX SI. I used to think my first gen MR2 I had 10 years ago was the best chassis...
    Also, I really think they can win at the ARRC. Like I've said, I've had a CRX SI, and I think the miata is faster and outhandles the honda.
    Just look at some race results and see how many SM's beat ITA. These miatas are not prepared to the level of an ITA miata either.

Zoo, see the post on the Mazda board about ITA Miatas. Twisty tracks, they win. HP tracks, the Integras, 240s and CRXs beat them more because of aero than anything else.

Still, a great first car, I agree. Totally trashable, predictable, great handler. Good car to learn to race in, although you will be spoiled by it.