Thread: Kumho 710

Default Kumho 710

Has anyone tried these new tires and given them a head to head comparison? That $300 contingency is pretty good money for a regional. I am sure that there are a lot of us who would like to hear about these tires.

Thanks,

Derek

I had about 3 laps in the track-record-holding ITS RX-7 (NHIS) on them. They are VERY fast. Not sure how long they last however.

Net - Net? That tire won't be what is holding you back.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Where can I find out more about the contingency program?

Go to www(dot)kumhousa(dot)com and click on 'Motorsports' - top right of window.

Endurance races pay up to $700 real money, while regional plan pays in Kumho dollars. Still, thats money that does not have to come out of my pocket. It's great seeing support at this level!

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing
    83 ITA Shelby Dodge Charger
    www.motorpride.com/BnSRacing

I actually did a pretty good back to back comparison of a set of V710's and a set of S04's - each with a qualifying session and a race on them. They were at the same track, on the same weekend, no other changes made to the car, and weather was very similar.

I ran a race on the Kumho's and honestly, I was never cursing them at all. They were predictable, didn't fall off, and I thought did a pretty good job.

I then ran a race on the Hoosier's and they were better. Basically, the slower the corner, the bigger the difference was. Albiet minimal, there was still a difference - you could just carry more speed and get down to the apex. Basically when you need that extra .5 second, slap on some S04's. If you don't, go with the Kumho's and get a fat check.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Interesting info Kevin. I've heard from others that the S05's are better than the S04's, and that the Kumho 710's are better still. Perhaps your car is just better setup for the older Hoosiers? Tires can make a huge difference in spring rate and damper settings.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Watts (edited May 27, 2005).]

I suppose. My car was set up in the first place on S04's.

S05's - a little too early to tell. Basically, I just got tired of hearing conflicting stories from people on this tire vs that tire so I just went out and tried both of them. Both great tires, but if I'm shooting for a track record, it's going to be on S04's.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Slightly OT. How about those Hankooks?

Spec Miatas are going mid 3s on the kooks at Lime rock today. I'll get the lap times for hoosier tired cars tomorrow.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited May 27, 2005).]

Originally posted by R2 Racing:
    I actually did a pretty good back to back comparison of a set of V710's and a set of S04's - each with a qualifying session and a race on them. They were at the same track, on the same weekend, no other changes made to the car, and weather was very similar.

I ran a race on the Kumho's and honestly, I was never cursing them at all. They were predictable, didn't fall off, and I thought did a pretty good job.

I then ran a race on the Hoosier's and they were better. Basically, the slower the corner, the bigger the difference was. Albiet minimal, there was still a difference - you could just carry more speed and get down to the apex. Basically when you need that extra .5 second, slap on some S04's. If you don't, go with the Kumho's and get a fat check.

I did pretty much the same thing at IRP a couple weeks ago. Saturday we ran on new V710s. We qualified 2nd, 4/100ths of the pole. Ran a comfortable 2nd in the race until we got a full course caution. After the caution the tires never came back and were horrible. No grip at either end. During qualifying and before the caution we were quick but the tires never felt planted. The in car video shows alot of drive input. At the carosel I had trouble all day getting the car to turn down to the apex. It'd just push the front end. A test session two weeks before at IRP run on worn out S03s didn't show this problem. I'll admit we were new to the V710 fold and unsure of setup and pressures. But from the info we received on this board and some god guesses we ended up with good camber and pressure settings. The tire probe showed 150-160* across all four tires. That tells me we were smack in the middle of the ballpark for pressures and camber angles. IMO the grip issues were tire related and not setup.

Sunday we mounted new S04s. No setup changes. We went 1.5s quicker and grabbed the pole. The pole sitter from Saturday went about 1.5s quicker also as we edged him for pole by only 2/100ths. So the track was faster for sure so I won't attribute the outright speed to the Hoosiers. The difference was in feel. The in car proves the point. Driver input and corrections were minimal. The car just drove like it was supposed to. We also got a full course caution Sunday. On the restart there was no drama as there had been the day before.

I started the year on the Kumhos mostly because of the contingency. After that weekend I'll stick with the Hoosiers.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited May 28, 2005).]

maybe i'm wrong, but it appears the contingency is for T1, T2, SSb and SSC only. i see no mention of contingency for IT.

let me know if i'm wrong.

thanks!

------------------
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    White ITC Honda CRX #4

http://www.kumhousa.com/Racing/SCCA/Pdf_fi...05/Regional.pdf

The form for the regional contingency.

Originally posted by C. Ludwig:
    The difference was in feel. The in car proves the point. Driver input and corrections were minimal. The car just drove like it was supposed to.

I started the year on the Kumhos mostly because of the contingency. After that weekend I'll stick with the Hoosiers.
    I agree with that comparison. The car is just happier on Hoosiers.

That's the same reason I went ahead and tried a set of Kumho's. The contingency for SCCA isn't that bad but the contingency for Honda Challenge was freaking awesome. So I gave them a shot.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Very interesting stuff! Is there anything tricky behind the Kumho contingency award? Nothing annoying like a Kumho dollar not equaling a US dollar toward tires or higher priced tires if using Kumho dollars? I know…but had to ask.

If you choose to use Hoosiers, it would be worth contacting the distributor in your area to see if they have a contingency program. Hoosier Tires East (in CT) offers $100 for 1st place, $50 for 2nd and $25 for 3rd place finishes for any NERRC event (call them to verify the series). They also always mount the tires for free and are very friendly people.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

i've used hoosiers in the past but decided to switch to the V710's because of the contingency. i was not disappointed. i won my first two events this year and am getting the pictures done this week to finish the documentation.
    some of the other 5 in the group were on hoosiers but it was different makes and models.