Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the British Car Owner

Saw that too, bought me some since the JH was fresh out!

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
    Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

Ron,
    Now I understand your persistence on the Alternate wiring harness thing. IF I had known that it was so expensive to replace this "critical" part of almost any British car, I would have supported your efforts long ago. I would bet that this particular item will soon be unavailable at ANY price. At that time, the powers that be will have to seriously reconsider the wiring issue as previously requested.

Jim(new supporter of aftermarket wiring)

Jim, hell, we weren't even asking to put in an aftermarket harness. We were just saying (and I believe this is the case) that running new wires parallel to an existing crapped out stock harness is OK by the rules.

I can't see something that basically involves manual labor and some cheap wire being considered rules creep, and this is an issue that all of th older IT cars (even competitive ones, like the Volvos in B, the RX3s in A and the 240zs in S) will face.

Lay that wire racerboy....

Jeff,
    I actually NEVER had an issue with changing out wiring. I was just trying to make light of this very amusing ebay auction....

Jim

Are 4 people actually bidding OVER $2000 for a bottle of smoke??

Cool, cruel and funny...

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Hell, $2000 is a bargin. I gave $3200 for my last bottle of smoke I had to put into the Lotus harness.

I usually ran the lights on "flicker" instead of "dim" to conserve it, but it still used it up in a few months.

Long live Lucas, The Price of Darkness.

R

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

Damn, to think that day I inhaled the smoke coming out of the dash on one of my MGB's could have been bottled and sold for more than the car was worth at the time.....I didn't invest in any Central Florida real estate either.......oh that hindsite sucks....

I apologize for my ignorance, but is this "smoke in the harness" actually true???

I have NEVER heard of this (keep in mind, I am 26, and I have never owned nor worked on an old British car).

If it is true, can someone give an overall definition on how it works, or if it is not true, where does the joke originate from (smoking wires, shorting wires, etc?)...my educated guess is on the latter of it not being true.

Thanks,
    Alan

Ok, ok, ok ok.......

For sh$ts and giggles, I am going to leave my original post, but I was PROMPTLY called my a fellow racer who was laughing at my stupidity....

Ignorance is bliss

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">keep in mind, I am 26, and I have never owned nor worked on an old British car</font>

Damn kids!!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by itbgti:
    I apologize for my ignorance, but is this "smoke in the harness" actually true???

I have NEVER heard of this (keep in mind, I am 26, and I have never owned nor worked on an old British car).

If it is true, can someone give an overall definition on how it works, or if it is not true, where does the joke originate from (smoking wires, shorting wires, etc?)...my educated guess is on the latter of it not being true.

Thanks,
    Alan
    Bwaahhaaaaaaaaa! ;-)

Now, if you had ever worked on a Brit car you'd know why we complain about the OEM wiring harness crap!

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

I think this is the same as the listing Isaw for an extrememly rare Corvair radiator.

Fred
    bodyshopdotcom
    now selling muffler bearings for imports and domestic applications

Hmmm... will that cross-reference to VW's, specifically a 914? A coworker just recently picked one up, and I'm worried he might already be in need of a new one, given the alarming lack of fluids under the car (except after rainstorms)... <g>

------------------
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB/GTS1
    www.vaughanscott.com

Like we haven't had the same problem finding cams for our ITS RX-7's. Damn things are near impossible to locate!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Alan, I have a bunch of Wankel cams that are NOS. I'll sell them to you, and then you can sell them to Andy for a profit, deal???

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

Ron,

Not a problem, but only if you can help me source some summer air for my street tires...I am still on the winter air and I am in fear of them exploding.

Years ago, we got a guy really worried when we asked if he had greased the piston return springs on the tractor engine he was maintaining. When he said he didn't know he was supposed to, our looks of alarm got him thinking he was going to get fired when the boss found out.

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
    Like we haven't had the same problem finding cams for our ITS RX-7's. Damn things are near impossible to locate!
    Makes me think of ITA RX7 drivers who visited me after I dropped an intake valve on the GTi - they kept bragging about not having pistons, valves or any of those pesky moving parts!!

As for a 914 that doesn't leak - check it for ANY fluids. VW products leak only as a reminder that when they stop, they're EMPTY!!

I've got a whole case of twelth-fessor valves for sale. Cheap. Make you go fast, says Fletch.