Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keep my ITA MR2 or build ITS 240SX

pimp - good choice in keeping the two! I have the tokico/GC combo and it is a great setup for the $. If you need any help on how to setup your car right and do it on the cheap - please visit my site or contact me directly.

Jake
    www.racerjake.com

Originally posted by slickS14:
    I have also spent many hours on a chassi dyno, scales, test days and races with my car to get it competitive, that's just what it takes, not just some bolt ons.
    Why do you feel I need to be told this?? I suppose you think I don't KNOW what it takes to be competitive with one of these??? I ask about a header and you think I only do bolt-ons??? Maybe you should ask me about the developement next time...

I'm happy that your base model car doesn't have any weight problems... that's great... The fact is that My, and my best friends, ex-TEAM NISSAN World Challenge 1996 and 1998 SE models do... And, like I said before, including in the post up above, I believe there are some additional ways to get some more weight out...

Maybe Nissan hid some lead in the cage some where that I'm not aware of to make weight for World Challenge...

AND, to quote what I said previously:

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">There is no way that an S14 will be competitive at the top level against a BMW or an RX-7, but it otherwise has the mechanical ability to be competive... AND, it's a hell of a lot better looking than either of those cars!</font>
    Isn't that EXACTLY what you just said??? I don't see how I've mislead anyone... What WOULD be misleading is to tell them these cars do NOT have potential weight issues, and then have them have the same kind of weight issues that mine has...

So, to be specific, apparently, what it takes to make weight with one of these cars is to get a BASE model, 4-lug car and begin working with that... which I believe is what Mr. SlickS14 has done... If he has any other suggestions, I'm sure he'll be forthright and share them here...

Also, to answer the posters original question... I'd go with the S14 for many reasons, not the least of which is that it's a WAY cooler looking car in my opinion, has gobs of torque, and I believe it has the potential to run up front if you are willing to develop it and can really drive!

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited June 04, 2005).]

Originally posted by slickS14:
    Ron, yes that's mine. It can be seen at www.newberryracing.com. What happened to you Sunday? I looked for you in the paddock to introduce myself and put a face to a computer name but you were MIA.
    Chris,

I would have liked to have chatted with you about a 240sx since I really like that car a lot and am entertaining it for my "modern" car after the JH.

Jeff and I packed it in early because our LSD let go along with, we think, our clutch - it appears the hit at Roebling did a lot more than just the visible damage. The car was deadfully slow and basically a marker on the track, so after running a little on Saturday we decided to retire. It is fast, when working correctly, but the hit has really held us up this year.

Chris' car seems to run very well here in the SE, which has a mixture of tight racing tracks (CMP) and long power tracks (VIR). Obviously I've never driven one on the track, but watching them it appears they can be very competitive in ITS but as mentioned, not dominant. That is good isn't it, don't we all want a class where no car is dominant and winning all the time? Still, seems they are stronger in A but it wouldn't stop me from building or buying a ITS 240sx, it is on my short list.

R

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
    Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited June 04, 2005).]

Darin, I'm not quite sure why you feel as though I attacked you or your car development but your response seemed pretty defensive. By the way my name is Chris Newberry #1 ITS 240sx from Atlanta if you ever need to contact me.
    For the record I didn't accuse you of anything, I pointed out that a person reading these posts that may be considering building a S14 would be mislead in general if they only read your post about being heavy and then missed the one about your search for a racing exhaust, which (in my case) is lighter than the factory assembly. I also didn't state that "you" have only bolt-ons, I pointed out, again in general, for those who may be new or considering building a racecar that it takes alot of development to get these things to the front.
    I'm pretty sure this topic started as "to build a 240sx or keep the currrent car." I didn't see "hey Darin, your car is underdeveloped or slow" anywhere in the topic. Maybe it should be a lesson to some to do some research, and then either build a car from your research or buy a former factory car and attempt to restructure it to a different set of rules and be dissapointed in the results. It's defensive or hostile responses like yours that bolster my decision to sell my car and move on and also helps others decide to run NASA or other sanctioning bodies.

It's worth mentioning that Chris and his 240SX grabbed a top 10 at the 2004 ARRC. He was the 3rd non-BMW and his fast lap was 2.3 seconds off the RX-7 that came in 4th.

Not bad. I would say an interesting choice for you non-Mazda/BMW/Datsun people!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

A well developed, well driven 240sx can be competitive, especially on tighter courses where torque off the corner is especially important. Our 91 model has had a good number of top five finishes at sebring, moroso and even at Daytona (5th) over the last several years. It does not have the straight line speed of Mike Flynn's mercedes or some the BMW's or Buzz Marcus' Speedsource
    car. It does have great brakes, handling and excellent acceleration off the corner.
    It was built in 1997 by Mike Covello on a limited budget. The car had a best of 2nd at sebring in 2004 at Sebring with Squeak Kennedy at the wheel. I believe a 240sx would be a more rewarding car to compete with vs an ITA MR2.