Thread: Helmets

Default Helmets

I am in the market for a new helmet. Does anyone know how long a SA2000 helmet will be able to be used. I have been told the SA2005 helmets will be out in October and I did not know whether it was worth waiting until then to get a helmet.

Any feedback on what helmets people are happy with. I have a Bell Sport now.

I have a Bell M3 now, and I love it. I'll probably replace it w/ another one next year. Unless you absolutely have to have a new helmet now, I'd wait until the Snell SA2005 units are out. I imagine a SA2000 may be good until 2010 or 2011, but w/ the way the whole belt thing went, you never know. We may end up w/ a 5 year 'lifespan' on helmets..

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    We may end up w/ a 5 year 'lifespan' on helmets..
    Do people actually use helmets for more than 5 years anyway?

Obviously the lifespan can't be that short (5 years) unless they plan to release new helmet certifications every 3-4 years. There would have to be some reasonable overlap.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Watts (edited May 23, 2005).]

Originally posted by Bryan Watts:
    [B] Do people actually use helmets for more than 5 years anyway?

Obviously the lifespan can't be that short (5 years) unless they plan to release new helmet certifications every 3-4 years. There would have to be some reasonable overlap.
    [B]
    Bryan,

**Disclaimer**
    I have no idea if anything of this sort is in the works, it's only a possible scenario. I only offered it up as a thought, based on what has happened w/ seatbelts.

IF (and that's a very big IF), something to the effect of "All helmets shall carry the current Snell Foundation SA certification." was put in place, and the new Snell Foundation certifications usually come out late in the year of issuance, you would get maybe 5.5 years out of a helmet. That's assuming you purchased it right when the new certification was issued, and it was allowed to run to the end of the calendar year that the next certification was issued in.

This is all 110% speculation, on my part.

I only offered it as a consideration in trying to decide to buy a new helmet today, or wait a few months and buy one w/ a 'fresh' certification.

/edit/ fix quote

------------------
    SCCA 279608

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited May 24, 2005).]

I'm sure people use their helmets as long as possible. If you don't do many races, have a closed car and keep it clean and properly stored, a helmet will last a good long time.

Because of the amount of racing I do, however, the lining in my helmet gets really ugly (sweat, dirt, etc.) so I change the whole helmet when appropriate.

Cheers.

...the lining in my helmet gets really ugly (sweat, dirt, etc.)

A two layer balaclava goes a long way toward keeping a helmet liner in good shape.

Just a thought.

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division

Originally posted by x-ring:
    ...the lining in my helmet gets really ugly (sweat, dirt, etc.)

A two layer balaclava goes a long way toward keeping a helmet liner in good shape.

Just a thought.

Sure does!!!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by x-ring:
    The dirt isn't the problem. After 2-3 years of heavy use, the foam liner and the beaded protection material become compressed. The helmet doesn't fit as well and is no longer as safe.

Hammer and all,
    A SA2000 helmet will be "good" until January 1 2011. Unless SCCA changes its mind(and we all know that they never do that ).

The SA2005 specifications will be released in October 2005. The manufacturers will submit their helmets for testing in November and December. The Snell foundation will notify the manufacturers what models passed or failed. The manufacturers will have SA2005 available for sale in February/March of 2006.

cheers
    dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97

I recommend the Bell SR-Pro. I've used one for the past few years and have been very happy with it.

The SR-Pro is a closed-face model with a visor (instead of a shield, which most closed-car drivers wear up anyway, right?). It has a large eyeport, which is good for vision, cooling, and especially if you wear glasses, like I do.

I guess there is a real difference in quality between helmets. I have owned simpson helmets as long as I have raced and I have never had the interior liner deteriorate in any way for over 6 years of pretty normal use. I guess the extra money is well worth it.

Derek

I will fight the compunction to list ALL of the nasty stuff that I've seen intrude into closed race car cockpits at this point - and just list my top three:

3. Semi-live bird

2. Fir branch, attached to tree, spears hole in seat head rest

1. (drumroll) Entire throw of a Fiat crankshaft, including rod big end - right through the windshield of a Datsun 510

Please close your visors!

I can't fathom the energy absorbing foam in a helmet compressing from simple wearing (as opposed to true "use"). Chemical attack from salt, solvents, ozone, etc. have always been cited as a bigger risk.

K

Just some info we've run across over the years...

1) Using a balaclava tends to double helmet life in terms of fabric degradation, etc.

2) In really rough numbers, there are approximately 120,000 helmets sold in the U.S. every year to about 450,000 racers, so even though a helmet can be good for 10 years racers tend to replace them more frequently.

3) Size does matter, but also shape. (I'm going to regret that wording). You may have a 62cm circumference head that is shaped very differently from your buddy's 62cm head. Remember that when your buddy tells you his Brand X is really comfortable--or uncomfortable.

4) We purposely crash test with inexpensive, fiberglass helmets in order to represent a worst-case scenario. I must admit that they are impressive. We have multiple helmets that we have crash tested multiple times and none have shown any fractures. Sure, they get the living snot kicked out of them, but they are still good to go. I used one on track once.

5) Visors are good. Keep them closed even in a closed-cockpit car. In addition to Kirk's references, they keep the flames out.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Dirt and dust in the eye doesn't do much for good lap times and accurate car positioning either.

Simpson and Bell are both very good and happen to be shaped for two very different heads. It is unlikely that anybody will find them equally comfortable. You will find one of them doesn't fit well depending on the shape of your noggin'.

The lower end Bell Helmets come in S, M, L, etc. The higher end models and Simpson come in hat sizes 7, 7 1/8, etc. Unless you just so happen to have the perfect sized head for a Bell Medium, you are likely to get a better fit (because of more options) by going with a helmet that comes in hat sizes.

Lastly, the prices on Simpson and Bell are very close. Both lines have models in every price range. You want to spend $300 or $1000, both have something for you. Just because you bought a Simpson and I bought a Bell doesn't mean you spent more (if that is something to brag about) or got a better helmet.

Arai makes a good bucket too!

The head shape issue is absolutely true. We used to define people as "rollers, folders, or wadders" (you figure it out) in most settings, but as "Bell heads" or "Simpson heads" in the racewear shop. You are either one or the other - and NOT both.

Shoei heads (I miss their SA options a LOT) are the same as Bell heads, but I don't know about the other brands...

I personally use a Bell XFM1 - no stupid holes to start cracks or let flame in, and I have NO problem getting my little, liberal glasses inside the narrow eyeport.

K

First rule of helmet purchasing:

A cheap helmet that fits properly and passes required certs is better than an equivilent expensive helmet that is ill fitted.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Just a comment about Bell helmets, from personal experience. First off, I love Bell helmets, and will more than likely, never wear anything else (one of them saved my life once, and I feel that I owe them some brand loyalty, not to mention that I can personally speak for the quality of the product, and its ability to do its job!). I've noticed different fitments between different styles of Bell Helmets. I have an M1 that I wear on my bike, fits great, but is a 7 1/2. The M3 that I wear for racing also fits great, but is a 7 3/4 (yeah, I know, I have a big fat head!). I actually tried on an XFM1 several years ago because I there was a great deal on one (the VAS shop at Bridgehampton was closing). Tried on 3 different sizes, and not one fit right/well.

BTW, I totally agree w/ Jake. Get a helmet that fits you properly!!!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Helmet fit within a specific brand, such as Bell, will also depend on where it is manufactured. Manufacturers will also "modify" the sizing over the years. By the way, Simpson is moving to the small-medium-large sizing on the Voyager and other lines.

HBennett

When purchasing a new un-named major/long time manfactures helmet two years ago while working with the factory they shiped a total of 5 helmets to me before one fit. The sizes were goofy as compared to the previous helmet by the same manufacture but the big deal was that the liner radial location was not controled relative to the shell eye port. This helmet has a small eye port & with the liner radial location being $crewed up the eye port was smaller yet. The plant manager finaly absorbed the issues he had that he didn't know about. Can you say minimal quality control ?

Have Fun
    David