Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isaac Focus Group, Part II

Default Isaac Focus Group, Part II

This is the last time for this subject, honest. I don’t want to wear out the welcome mat here, but we have always found the IT.com forums to be the perfect combination of smart racers and budgets. Dumb at any price is of no value, and smart and rich is OT for this subject.

We would like your input on two things involving a new product we are going to add to the line: the price and the name. The product is a head and neck restraint that serves the budget-conscious racer--the one who is willing to pay for "good," but doesn’t feel the need for "best." We had some good ideas on pricing from a thread posted here last fall, but that was purely hypothetical. This is the real product. We crash tested it earlier this week and are planning a press release.

Since you cannot comment on something until you know about it, lets begin with a description (I may have a chance to post photos later).

Description

Because a large component of the cost of the original Isaac system is in the damper assembly, this new product uses mil spec parachute webbing. This is not the dog leash material made in China that you find in some designs. This is what a Special Ops guy uses when he drives an ATV out the back of a C-130 (yes, they actually do that now). If it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for racers.

That’s the only major change. The bits and pieces at the end of the webbing are different, of course, but it all still connects to the same helmet mount at the top, and the same style roller assembly at the belt.

Because webbing does not control the velocity (and kinetic energy) as well as a damper, it does not work as well as an Isaac system, which is what we expected. However, because there is much less webbing than in the body-style products such as the Hutchins, Simpson, etc., it is a more rigid restraint that catches the head earlier in the crash pulse, when the energy is relatively low.

The theory and the math predicted a performance better than other webbing products but, to be frank, it performed much better than expected. It is the third best product ever tested at this lab, bested only by the original Isaac system and the HANS device.

Let’s throw in a few FAQ-type questions:

How about side loads? It won’t work worth a hoot, just like everything else out there except the original Isaac system.

Do I have to keep it tight? Yes, but you don’t have to preload your neck, just take out the slack.

Do the straps have to be replaced periodically? Yes, it will have to be sent back for replacement. We are checking for a "ruling" on this, so at this time we do not know the frequency.

Is it, or can it be, SFI certified? Not at this price.

Price

Last fall’s thread had readers here suggesting prices ranging from $149 (fat chance) to $495. Given the above description, what do you think now for a version that performs at this level and uses the bottom-of-the line helmet pin?

Names:

What do you think? The following have been suggested:

The Isaac Link
    The Isaac ParaLink
    The Isaac Lite
    The Isaac Geronimo

I’m out for most of the rest of the day, but we’ll try to find some pics.

Thanks everyone.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Name:

Issac Paralink

Or

Issac Link

The Isaac Geronimo.....I don't know, it sounds like I am jumping out of something. Of course you could offer the Masten Gregory signature edition Issac Geronimo...I understand he jumped out of a few crashing cars in his day!

Price:

The cost of two Hoosier tires - or LESS - for my IT7 racer works for me

------------------
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    IT7 #17

***what do you think now for a version that performs at this level and uses the bottom-of-the line helmet pin?***

Why would you have a desire to attach the Issac name to a dog leash (slack is controled by the owner the same as slack in a dog leash) that is considerable less effective than the Issac? Over past time there have been many words thrown towards the second rate leash type devices.

***How about side loads? It won’t work worth a hoot,***

***it does not work as well as an Isaac system,***

If the company were mine I would seperate this new low cost devise from the Issac name.

Have Fun
    David

I could blame computer.........

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited May 07, 2005).]

Originally posted by mustanghammer:
    ...the Masten Gregory signature edition Issac Geronimo...I understand he jumped out of a few crashing cars in his day!
    I like the spirit, Scott. Geronimo is funny, but I'm not sure everyone would make the connection.

Price:

The cost of two Hoosier tires - or LESS - for my IT7 racer works for me.
    Which is what, $200 each? We are convinced we must get this under $500.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Dave,

I hear ya, but this product is no slouch. And the customer can use the same helmet mounts to upgrade later.

Think of it as an entry level model, like a 3-series Bimmer or a C-class Benz.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Some quick pics with no editing (sorry for the 700K size of the first two).

Here is a really poor lateral shot of the entire set up, on the bench:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Product/...ink/Lateral.JPG

Here is the yoke that attaches to the helmet and receives the top end of the webbing:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Product/...t/Link/Yoke.JPG

Here is a smaller shot of the belt connection:

And here is our happy customer after testing:

BTW, this was the same helmet we tested when last at this lab.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

How about the Kepler?

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Gregg,,,I shot you an email, and in it I suggested the Isaac Ripcord...

I see your parallel to BMW and MB, and it's a good one. Be sure that your web design is better philosophically, theoreticaly, functionaly, and with better build quality than the rest, and you will be fine.

So far, I think you have all four points covered.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Just a couple comments:

Paralink - sounds like a condition you don't want to be in (paraplegic)

Jake - Ripcord sounds like it would hurt!

I like Isaac Link best. But if I am going to save up $500, I will spring the rest of the $$ for the full system.

------------------
    Jason
    ITB 17 (NER SCCA)
    VW Scirocco

Originally posted by Geo:
    How about the Kepler?
    Ooh, good one George. I had to look that up.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

How about (in no particular order)...

Strap-o-Matic
    Noodle Bridle
    No-Twang 2K5
    Retain-Ur-Brain
    NogginThong
    That Isaac Strap Thingie
    Brain Bra

K

Ooops.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited May 07, 2005).]

Kirk,

Damn, that's funny.

Jason,

Good points. Thanks.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

I know the retail cost of either device isn't totally about the material cost, but the percieved cost of the shocks could be interpreted as the difference between the two.

Not sure if that matters, but might be something to consider.

Well, continuing on the concept that racers equate money to tires, in much the same way college students equate money with the price of pizza and beer, ("How much?? I can get a 6 of Coors and two large meat lover pizzas for that $!") I would think that a "starter" H&NR system should run less than teh cost of two tires, which are about $150 ea.

So, if it's priced at $295, would it sell well, if it performed as stated?

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by tderonne:
    I know the retail cost of either device isn't totally about the material cost, but the percieved cost of the shocks could be interpreted as the difference between the two.

Not sure if that matters, but might be something to consider.
    Good point. The shocks make a huge difference in performance, especially for lateral impacts where straps don't work (you can't push on a rope), and the Isaac system is unique in that regard. Plus, shocks are tricky to tune. Trust me, I did the math.

But a lot of people don't get it. Sometimes you have to keep it simple.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    Well, continuing on the concept that racers equate money to tires, in much the same way college students equate money with the price of pizza and beer, ("How much?? I can get a 6 of Coors and two large meat lover pizzas for that $!") I would think that a "starter" H&NR system should run less than teh cost of two tires, which are about $150 ea.

So, if it's priced at $295, would it sell well, if it performed as stated?
    We'll know soon. The press release will be out within 24 hrs.

It will be the Isaac Link, priced at $295.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

A little off topic here, but this weekend a fellow racer came over to visit and saw the ISAAC in my Scirocco. He hadn't ever heard of it but was VERY interested in it, but the price was a bit steep. He knew he should have some sort of H&N device, and knew about the HANS but the price of it was a deterrent as well.

Then I mentioned the forthcoming ISAAC (insert name here...I didn't know it at the time) that used the straps,performed as well as a HANS and would only cost around $300-400. He was SOLD instantly and wanted to know where he could get one. I pointed him to the website and he rushed home to check it out.

Gregg, I think you'll have a huge winner here.

MC

------------------
    Mark Coffin
    #14 GP BSI Racing/Action Digital/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme VW Scirocco

Mark,

You friend is a perfect example of our target segment for the Link product. It is very interesting how this market has changed over the past 3 years.

At first, racers felt all head and neck restraints were the same, or that any one was adequate. That's why we estimate 5,000 Hutchens devices were sold--why buy an expensive H&N restraint when you can get a cheap one, right?

But then we noticed orders coming from Hutchens users as racers began to appreciate the difference in products.

Until we tested the Link last week, there was nothing at the low end that racers could call "good"--not "best", but good. We don't like the fact that it offers no lateral protection, but then neither does a HANS.

With the new Link model plus side nets, the racer will have a very good package, out the door for well under $500. Not bad.

Here's the revised relative performance chart:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/chart.html

The lower end of the range is where we tested, with the slack taken out of the webbing (but not preloaded). We are assuming that if you loosen it up the loads can double.

This is a very conservative chart. The webbing products only perform at the low end if they are heavily preloaded. The way most racers use them they will come in at around 800# vs. 400# for our test.

Either way you slice it the Link was impressive. I was pleasantly surprised.

(If you're lurking Bill or Vaughan, feel free to throw in any observations.)

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC