Thread: Anyone used a Traqmate? Compare to DL-1?

Default Anyone used a Traqmate? Compare to DL-1?

I've sort of come to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that data acqusition would be the best thing to improve my driving times except for seat time, which I'm doing the best I can with.

I had pretty much figured the DL-1 would be the way to go for my budget and means, but I saw this one:

www.traqmate.com

I've not investigated it fully, but one advantage I really like with this unit is that the complete system, for $1000, has an in-car lap time display. I'd thought about a in-car lap timer instead of a GPS system because I figured it would really be useful.

For example, drive the track the same except change up one corner and figure out what is best through there, then move on to the next problem area. With the real time feed back you can see right away if what you did had any affect, instead of getting back to the pits and thinking "Hmmmm, I think on lap eight I was braking eariler, but that might have been on ten."

Anyhow, seems like this would be the best of both worlds with a GPS and in-car timer built in. Software doesn't look to bad either.

Any comments on this thing?

Ron

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

Ron, I twould also look at the PI systems. they are the best quality and can upgrade the system if you change cars or move up in classes

PI is way out of my budget. I might be able to buy a wheel speed sensor and a temp sensor, but then I'd need to get the GPS, the display, the timer, etc. ;-)

One thing that is sort of off-putting is that the DL-1 is in use, has good reviews, while this thing is brand new.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited May 17, 2005).]

Ron The AIM Pista MXL has the lap time display, plus a best lap display, plus programmable shift lights, plus a programmable tach, and a bunch of other programmable items, all of which can diplayed.

The set up software seems easy, and the kill three birds (A high grade tach,{a good memory tach is $200 easy} lap timing [beacon included] {a lap timer and display will be $400} and of course, data aq) for about the same money as you are considering is very tempting. They also have a similar ubit with a smaller display, and slightly less capabilities for a few hundred less.

As I recall, I was looking for a tach and a lap timer, and the total of those two shipped to me was about the same as the starter AIM system!

I think I remember you checking them out....was there something that didn't work for you?

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Ron...I just took a look at the traqmate, and other than being new, I would worry about it's ability to get indepth data, and it's accuracy.

I am NO expert, but it seems it's GPS only, and I've been told that day to day, the accuracy of GPS may be wanting in this type of environment. They list nothing for specs, so I can't determine the accuracy they claim.

I does look like a godd mapping display though. Have you spoken to anyone? If you need a contact for AIM, let me know. The guy I got mine from bent over backwards to answer all my (dumb, no doubt!) questions, and the tech support guy gave me his personal cel phone in case I was at the track and needed him. No kidding!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Ron,

Nick and I have been using the DL1 this year and love it. When we head to VIR or you guys get up here to LRP, WG or Pocono, we will run you through it.

At $1000, it is awesome...and you can buy just the in-car set-up and share the 'brain' between cars in different classes at a significant savings.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

I asked about the same question for the new RackPak GPS system a couple weeks ago check back in the older messages. It had some good points about the DL-1

I posted the same question over on the prod board and here is the tread from there:
    http://www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar/viewto...opic.php?t=4280

It talks about not so much the GPS but the use of the G-force logging to help see if you are late/early apexing a corner. The GPS helps create track segments to help focus on give corners.

The one cool thing the DL-1 has is their video integrations. It is after the fact but you take the video file frond you digital video camera and sync it with your data file. It then creates a dash overlay on the video that you can then use the create a pro looking DVD.

DL-1 has 8 analog channels for other logging functions but it does not have the lap time display so you may be able to judge your improvements right away.

I've got to second the AIM systems. If you are on a budget, it is extremely hard to beat. They also have a system with video (DAVid).

Talk to Veracity Data, they sell a lot of different systems and can tell you the pros/cons of the various systems in your price range. What bells and whistles you need and what you don't based on what you are trying to learn.

I've already shared with Ron my views on the DL-1. I'll add here that it is interesting how much difference it made to me psychologically, knowing that I was commiting each lap to "paper." It was like having someone looking over my shoulder, providing encouragement.

K