Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wright Device H&N Restraint Testing Contributions

Scott,

Bill is holding the drawing tonight at 10:00 EST. Unfortunately, we are only about 1/3 the way there, so we need to bank this and continue with the fund raising.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

As an aside, there is an opportunity for those whose budgets preclude donating to make a contribution.

As readers may or may not know, Jay is wheelchair-bound as the result of a neck injury he suffered while racing. Consequently, travel is difficult for him and he could use a volunteer to monitor the test. I have offered to do this, schedule permitting, but it would be wise to have a backup if my calendar gets jammed or I otherwise become unavailable.

Of course, it never hurts to have a helping hand around so if Mr./Ms. backup wants to tag along to one of the world's newest crash labs I'm certain they would find it worth the trip to Vandalia, OH (north of Dayton).

A technical background isn't necessary, but it would help.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

[edit: location]

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited March 31, 2005).]

Dave Gomberg Guest

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    ... he could use a volunteer to monitor the test. I have offered to do this, schedule permitting, but it would be wise to have a backup if my calendar gets jammed or I otherwise become unavailable.
    As with you, if previously scheduled commitments allow, I'd be happy to be your backup on this. Just let me know when the tests are scheduled.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

BTW, since you are more familiar with the use of Jay's design than we are, feel free to come along. We helped the lab personnel put the product on the dummy at the Wayne State Bioengineering Center lab, but the wiring of the load sensors got in the way of some of the straps. It simulated a worse-case condition but did not do justice to Jay's work. Your presence would be valuable.

Besides, one should never pass up a chance to see a crash test, especially if it is their first.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Gregg,

I am only 30 minutes from Vandalia, have the flexibility of schedule, have a vested interest, and would be happy to help in any way possible. Just let me know.

Dave

First, let me apologize for not doing this last night. I got completely tied up in another project (also for the IT.com Community) that I completely forgot about it!!

So, without further ado, THE WINNERS ARE:

Jake Gulick - Isaac Device

David Gomberg - Wright Pro Device

Dave Zaslow - Wright Shoulder Device

The drawing was supervised by my peers at Rexnord Technical Services and the names were drawn by an associate (i.e. not me).

Thank you to everyone who participated! Your contributions are very much appreciated!

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Gregg: I would like to be included on the list of observers. I really appreciate all that has been done to help Jay and the racing community.

billstevens(at)columbus(dot)rr(dot)com

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing
    83 ITA Shelby Dodge Charger

Thanks to all for offers of help. Am still asking others for monetary help and am saving my pennies for the test. Delphi test lab is about 3 miles from Dayton airport. I never told you Greg but you guys put the harness on wrong (it looked to be upside down and backwards)and I was amazed it worked at all. Guess it shows the design strength.

Dave Burchfield - please drop me an e-mail so I can put your address on test contact list. I have the other two. [email protected]

Thanks

Originally posted by Dave Burchfield:
    Gregg,

I am only 30 minutes from Vandalia, have the flexibility of schedule, have a vested interest, and would be happy to help in any way possible. Just let me know.

Dave
    Dave,

Thanks for the offer.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Originally posted by RacerBill:
    Gregg: I would like to be included on the list of observers. I really appreciate all that has been done to help Jay and the racing community.

billstevens(at)columbus(dot)rr(dot)com

Bill,

Thanks.

Gee, maybe we should have raffled off tickets to the crash test. Hmmm...

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Before this goes too far, I should note that there may be a limit to the number of observers allowed at the Delphi lab (never asked).

The idea of a large crowd standing around watching a metal object hurl through space at a high rate of speed, followed by a rapid dispersion of kinetic energy (i.e. crash), cannot give the insurance carrier the warm fuzzies.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Such a deal I have for you:
    I will discount the price of the raffle ticket for Wright Device shoulder harness or Wright Device Pro to anyone who purchased a raffle ticket for that device.

------------------
    Jay Wright P.E.
    Over 40 Racing Motorsports Accessories, Inc.
    http://www.over40racing.com

Originally posted by Jay Wright:
    For those who want to know the SFI testing requirements: Pulse contour of 68G peak at 70 KPH (43.5 mph)A minimum of two (2) frontal tests and one (1) 30 degree right frontal test will be required. Results must be 3200 N or less for frontal tests. If test fails to meet requirement a third frontal test is required and none of the values will be above 4000 N.
    Costs: $500 registration fee with SFI. $2500 per test at Delphi.
    Jay,

Here's a thought: Let's hit it right now! Seriously! Three tests at $2,500 each, but there is no requirement to perform all three tests at the same session.

Thanks to eveyone's generosity we have enough funds for one test, so let's do the worse-case impact. If you get under 4,000N on the 30 deg offset frontal you are golden, i.e. the straight frontal should be easy.

Let's do it, like, next week!

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

+ $500 registration fee for SFI paperwork and scheduling. will check with SFI on split tests.

next week is fine if we can have some one at delphi wed afternoon and they will do one test. SFI personnel must be present and they will be there MTW. need to send unit and helmet for test to whomever will cover for me

Hey, that's great Jay! Let me work on it from this end.

Any backups out there good for next Wed pm?

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited April 06, 2005).]

Jay,

I can be there Wednesday PM. I believe it would be very helpful if one of your users were there also. While I am generally familiar with your design, someone with day-to-day knowledge could prove useful.

From a logistics standpoint, it would be best if you shipped directly to the lab. I'd be happy to hand carry everything for you, but I'm concerned that baggage handlers or TSA may foul things up. Your choice.

Also, please pass on contact info for Delphi and any SFI folks who will be there.

I think it would be great if others observed, but you may need to clear this with Delphi. They may draw the line somewhere between 6 and 60.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Well....?????

What is the latest?

Technicians hooked it up wrong and did not function. Will do retest same unit but hooked up correctly week of 5 July if SFI there. Already scheduled with Delphi.