Thread: Fuel Cell Prices

Default Fuel Cell Prices

Any one have a good source for a 12 gal fuel cell?

Contact either ATL or Fuel Safe. No matter where you go=not cheap at all.

------------------
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song-FOR SALE
    '03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Jegs sells some very nice aluminum units with foam in them. Sump pickups, excellent welds, under $200 for a 15 gallon bare unit, little over $200 for a coated one. They have 12s too.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...283&prmenbr=361

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited April 23, 2005).]

If used in SCCA cells shall be FIA FT-3 or higher.

Have Fun
    David

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    If used in SCCA cells shall be FIA FT-3 or higher.
    actually that is not true. the fuel cell only need to meet that standard in classes that require cells. the is no minimum standard for a fuel cell in an IT car.

dick patullo

We can use stock tanks, but not one of those nice fuel cells? You guys will LAUGH at my stock tank - location and construction - one of these is a huge step up in safety.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

Dickita and D.D. bring up a good question and I honestly don't know the answer. It could go ether way, I think, depending on who is doing tech on a given day.

It's analogous to the cage rules interpretation that requires non-required bars (oxymoron there) in a rollcage to meet the minimum size. I can have air in the diagonal across the roof, or the minimum-size tube, but nothing in between?

Or those damned fire systems again...

K

Dick, nice catch. (IMHJ, that's another of the IT cars are not race cars BS statement in the ITCS/GCR.)

K, let's not go there.

Have Fun
    David

See Page 19 ITCS. Section 17.1.4.D.10.C

It says:

"The stock fuel tank may be replaced with a fuel cell. The fuel cell shall be located within twelve (12) inches of the original fuel tank location. Additional reinforcement may be added to support the fuel cell, but such reinforcement shall not attach to the roll cage. Floor pan may be modified for installation. See GCR Sections 17.12, and 19. for requirements."

Section 17.12 says:

"All car shall be quipped wiht a fuel cell complying with specifications acoording to CGR Section 19. except Showroom Stock, Touring and Improved Touring cars."

Section 19 says:

"All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified by accordance with the FIA FT-3 specifications."

All this tells me it has to meet FIA FT-3 specifications. Some one could say that 17.12 says that IT cars fuel cell don't have to meet section 19.

But I say this exception is in refenace to have to run a fuel cell in general. The section 17.12 statement allow us to run a stock tank. Plus the ITCS states all fuel cells need to meet section 19. There for all ITCS non stock fuel cells need to meet FIA FT-3 specs.

I disagree RonInSD.

According to section 19.5 "The use of a rotary molded fuel cells not having a bladder, or not contained in a metal can, is allowable in those cars that do not require the use of a fuel cell, but where they are an allowed option."

The cells that Ron Learp found don't meet this description, if I remember correctly how they're built. I think they are a metal can with foam inside and no bladder (rotomolded or otherwise).

I'm not sure what I would do if you brought a car with one of these to me for an annual inspection. At least the rotomolded cells could stand some crushing. I think the molded cells in a metal can (which don't generally have foam inside) are a better choice if you can't swing an FIA cell.

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division

As far as contruction on the thing it is a aluminum cell that is tig welded throughout. Very nice construction. It has the foam on the inside, but no bladder as far as I am aware. Frankly, it looks to be better built than the Fuel Safe that is in the Z car we have, but the car came with the Fuel Safe. And it is a hell of a lot safer and better than the stock tank I have.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

Originally posted by rlearp:
    Frankly, it looks to be better built than the Fuel Safe that is in the Z car we have, but the car came with the Fuel Safe.
    Remember, if the Fuel Safe is punctured or mangled, the bladder *should* stay intact. No so of the Aluminum cell with the foam. If it's punctured or mangled, there'll be nothing containing the fuel.

------------------
    Scott Rhea
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

Izzy's Custom Cages

Agreed, but *should* doesn't always happen. Irregardless, these JEGs cells are much better than OEM tanks and in the case of my car, light years ahead of the POS that comes with a Jensen Healey that I am allowed to use.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

Those aren't rotary moulded cells, so there not legal.

Summit also has cheap fuel cells that they advertize as SCCA legal.

I am interested in putting a rotary moulded fuel cell in an ITB BMW 2002. Anyone know a supplier or any specifics. Looking for 8 to 10 gallon size.

------------------
    Ernie