Bill Miller:

I did not mean to imply that two levels of competition (National vs Regional) meant two skill levels. And I strongly apologize to any drivers who took my statement that way. But rather two levels of committment, and opportunity. I agree that the majority of cars that are classed today should be allowed to race in both National and Regional races. That might necessitate the combining of some of the less active classes (SCCA has already set president by combining GT4 & GT5). But as I said earlier, the classes will continue to evolve, as they have over the 60 years that SCCA has been in existance.

Six regional races with a resonable level of competency qualifies a racer for a National license. The GCR also states that one does not even have to run any National races to keep their National license. Therefore the National/Reginal license distinction exists primarily to insure that drivers have a certain level of experince when racing in National races. So, since running Nationals is not a requirement to keep ones license, National races are in effect qualifying races, and Regionals, non-qualifying. At least that is my opinion.

And this is my thought on allowing IT classes at National races. Increasing the number and variety of venues to race at, along with the exposure of the runoffs will bring more cars and drivers (especially new members) in IT.

Slightly off thread, and not to be derogatory to Production car owners or drivers, but look at the intent of Production classes thirty years ago and where they are today. So what's to say that the original intent of IT (that it remain Regional only) is cast in stone and can't change?

Completely off thread - I managed to pass both of the guys I race regularly with every Monday night (they are usually 1 to 1.5 seconds a lap faster than I am, and one is a SCCA National champion) in our last heat last night. Yeah!!!!! Can;t wait to get the car back from the chassis shop.

------------------
Bill Stevens
Mbr 103106
BnS Racing
83 ITA Shelby Dodge Charger