Thread: Rotary Comeback in Sports Car Racing

Default Rotary Comeback in Sports Car Racing

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/16212/

A team is going to run a Courage chassis with a Mazda rotary engine! Woo Hoo!! And, the best part is, Jamie Bach (former SCCA FM driver) is one of the primary drivers!

Yes, I'm a little excited about this. Now I can't wait for the ALMS race at Road America!

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

I've raced with (and been beaten badlyby) both of those guys in FM's. It will be great to have some drivers to follow in the ALMS this year to make it interesting...ALMS Prototype class has been like F1 for a while: really cool cars, but no real good racing or competition.

Bill, did you forget that you drive a Saturn?

I'm really excited too. All that I care about is that it better sound cool. I saw the GTP car with that awesome rotary engine in it at road america a long time ago. Amazing.

Ben
    ITA RX7

Last year, during one of the ALMS races the announcers said that Mazda reps were snooping around the pits and asking lots of questions. I've been excited about this announcement ever since. The best quote was from one of those announcers that said their ears were still ringing from the rotary cars of the 80s-90s.

I'm headed to the Rotary Revolution in Indy next weekend. About the only reason I'm going is because Jim Downing is supposed to be there with the 4-rotor Kudzu. I cannot wait to hear that thing!!!!

And I'll probably hit the Mid-Ohio ALMS round to support the P2 car. Go Mazda!

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Ben:

With the RX-8 being reclassed to T3, I'm >< close to switching. I figure the plastic is a great learner car before making my move to either that or FM.

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

I'd go with the one having the most secure steering wheel.

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    I'd go with the one having the most secure steering wheel.
    Now, I need to come to the defense of my friend Bill...

..What am I saying? That was good.

Right now, I'm too poor to even make more than a few track days a year (hell, last year was the 1st time I actually made more than one.)

I'm encouraged to see more opportunities for racing in the US - maybe less people will look at me weird (probably not, but a guy can dream) when I come in on Monday morning, sunburned, talking about the great racing a saw over the weekend.

------------------
    Kevin M. Keller
    crew, '94 Saturn SC2 ITA CenDiv 2003 Champs
    F&C, STL Region
    http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com

I didn't get to watch the race because I was wrenching on a Mazda all day. Go figure! But from the results the little Mazda didn't do so well. 6 laps down to the winners who spent a couple laps in the pits themselves. Anyone see the race and have an answer as to why the Mazda was off the pace? Plain slow? Mechanical problems? Etc?

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Chris,

I've never gone to the event at Indy. Any information source that you know of? I have off, and might consider it, regardless of the drive.

Thanks,

Bill

Pretty sure last year was the first time for the event. This will be my first year. Here's the website. http://www.lat-g.com/ I'm instructing for the road course portion of the event Sunday which has the perk of some free track time two weeks before the regional up there. That and seeing Downing's car run are the biggest reasons I'm going. I'll also have two turbo street cars from my shop up there trying to drum up some business. I'm guessing it'll be the usual young import crowd. But there are supposed to be quite a few vendors there and some decent seminars. We're, hopefully, leaving Friday and will be there the whole weekend.

If you're interested in track time give this guy an email. His name is Aron. [email protected] I know there were atleast two guys that backed out this past week so there might be openings.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Haven't watched the race yet but the Courage Mazda did pretty well. I'm not sure the 6 laps down should be a hit against the effort. The chassis and engine combination are brand new, lots and lots and lots and lots of work had to be done to make things work for the rotary. Guy Cosmo did a write up for americanlemans.com with all that took place and in a short time frame. One of the drivers christened the car with tire wall binding green on the test day between 3 and 4. Don't think it came out during the first session on friday so there may have been a decent amount of damage. All in all, it finished and ran decent. Both drivers watched flag stations well and were very respectful of the faster cars.

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C

RIP Dimebag- August 20, 1966 to December 8th, 2004.