Thread: '91 Prelude SI 2.05 Good IT car?

Default '91 Prelude SI 2.05 Good IT car?

I have a 1991 Honda Prelude Si 2.05. The body and engine are in great condition. Will this car be a good IT car? Will it be competitive? How expensive will it be to build?

Thanks

I don't have my ITCS handy but generally speaking, it is a FAR better idea to decide (a) what your budget is, ( what class (or classes) you would consider based on the available funds, and © what car you want of those available in the class.

It is almost NEVER a good answer to build what you have in the driveway, just because you have it. The initial cost of the car will ulitmately be a relatively small part of the total budget. There is a good chance that whatever you have will NOT be a competitive option, since there are often only a few cars that are really good choices. It is also WAY more expensive to build a car, for any set of parts, than it is to buy a car that is already prepared.

Now, if cost and competitiveness are secondary considerations, other choices might make more sense.

K

The '91 Prelude Si is in ITA at 2550#. It should be reasonably competitive - at least on paper. Although, as was mentioned - making a car competitive = $$, in a lot of cases.

Originally posted by ITANorm:
    The '91 Prelude Si is in ITA at 2550#. It should be reasonably competitive - at least on paper.
    I don't think so. That's heavier than the ITA Integra's and the car has less power and it's not as good in engine design, suspension design, brakes, and aftermarket support. Now a ITB Prelude, there you might have something.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

The 90 to 91 prelude should be an excellent ITA car.

221cc more than the integra
    5lb less than the 94-99 integra
    Starts with 140hp, 32 more than the CRX.

The down side is low stopping power. All I can hope to fix this is a miss print in my GCR.

I hope you try it.

Thanks to all you guys for your opinions. I think I will try it.
    Also if it couldn't win in that class, wouldn't it be in a different one?
    That is if it is driven well enough! And I may or may not be able to do that!!!

------------------
    Eric W. Chance
    2000 Mazda Miata C-Stock
    1964 1/2 Mustang (For Sale)

Originally posted by Ramblin' Wreck:

Also if it couldn't win in that class, wouldn't it be in a different one?

No that is the idea of IT!! Not all cars have a chance at winning but they all have a place to race. THe intent of it is to have fun and have a place to race not neccassarly be competitive to win.

Stephen

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Also if it couldn't win in that class, wouldn't it be in a different one?</font>
    Unfortunately, that's not the way it necessarily works. It's kind of necesary to "prove" that a car can't win - generally speaking - to get it moved in Club Racing. Proving the non-existance of something is not possible, strictly speaking.

It gets more complex with IT because there has traditionally been a policy in place that says cars are not assured that they will ever actually be competitive. It's a holdover from the early days of IT, and was thought to make the category "low pressure."

K

Well now that puts a different perspective on things!
    Thank you very much. I will definately have some more thinking to do!

If I deside against the Prelude, how competitive is a 1st Generation Miata in IT-A?
    ------------------
    Eric W. Chance
    2000 Mazda Miata C-Stock
    1964 1/2 Mustang (For Sale)

[This message has been edited by Ramblin' Wreck (edited April 15, 2005).]

I think a miata can do very well in ITA.
    There us usually a SM or two that beats the top ITA cars at the races. I dont remember the lap times at the ARRC, but I think they are close.
    ITA allows more mods then SM, and now you can run the 15" wheels. So, it would seem they can win.
    I have personally thought of this as a possiblity in the future. Love driving these cars...

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">If I deside against the Prelude, how competitive is a 1st Generation Miata in IT-A?</font>[/b]
    Ohhh Bowie! Where are you?

Bowie Grey finished 6th at the ARRC last year in his ITA Miata. It handled and braked very, very good but could use some more ponies. Now if he gets that engine built, I'm very interested to see how he does.

(Finishing 7th by about a car length, I got to see a lot of that car.)

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si