Thread: new here

Default new here

Hey guys, I'm don, I just bought my first race car, it's a 83 gti rabbit. it was used as an ITB racecar for the last ten years, the motor is fresh (balanced and blueprinted) i have a FK suspension for it and im welding in a new cage this weekend (the old one was parted out to someone). Im curious as to where i can find the rules to this series and where i can race (im in elkhart IN so MI or IN are preferred). Do i need a SCCA liscense? i have 9 years of race kart experience (100cc direct drive and 125 shifters) so i can drive fairly well but i know i have a lot to learn. any help would be appreciated.

Hi Don, welcome to our madness.

Rules: http://www.scca.com/Club/Index.asp?IdS=009...60&x=030|012&~=
    You need both the GCR and the IT supplement.

Don't touch the car without reading the rules. Then read them again, and again. Then come and ask the questions you'll have because the rules probably won't make sense to you. Especially don't put a cage in unless you're pretty familiar with SCCA cage rules and you're an experienced cage builder.

Here's the tracks in the SCCA Central Division - http://www.cendiv-scca.org/03racing/03tracks.html

Closest track to you is Gingerman (South Haven, MI). Then there's Grattan (my home track near Grand Rapids, MI), Indianapolis Raceway Park, Blackhawk Farms (IL/WI border), a new track in Joliet IL (Autobahn Country Club), Mid-Ohio, Road America in central WI.

Yes, you need an SCCA license, and you have to complete two driving schools to get it. The SCCA schools usually concentrate more on safety and procedure rather than driving skill. All the schools offered in the Central Division are in the spring, so you'd really have to hustle to go that route this year. The Central Division web site has the schedule.

Keep the questions coming.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

Welcome to the monkey house!!!

As was suggested, get a rule book first. They are available online, but you should get a hard copy for your library.

I don't know if your new car came w/ a logbook or not, but if the cage has been removed, you'll probably have to get a new logbook, as the logbook # is stamped on the cage. Since IT cars are required to retain the VIN#, and the VIN# is also in the logbook, they may just stamp the new cage w/ the old #, but I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say not.

You might be able to get the second school requirement waived, based on previous racing experience, but you should talk to the people at your first school about that.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

***You might be able to get the second school requirement waived, based on previous racing experience, but you should talk to the people at your first school about that.***

Don, just to add some to what Bill posted. If you are going to be a member of the SCCA join first & get a GCR. General Competition Rules book. Also finding someone who knows the ropes will speed your learning. Then find where your first school could be. Talk to the people in your division (CenDiv) & those running the school to see if you would be allowed to forward a resume of your Kart racing experiences/skills/finishes asking for permission that the people at the school watch you extra carful to see if you have what's necessary to have your second school waived in writting. Dam, that is a great runon sentence.

Welcome & Have Fun
    David
    CenDiv
    ITA/7 #14