Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaining weight

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
    Let's say hypothetically, that YOUR car's minimum weight was raised by 100-150 pounds.

What would you do to make weight?

Add gas?
    Add cage?
    Put some interior back in?
    Add it all in legal ballast?
    All or combo of the above?

It seems simple to me but I wanted some creative minds out there to provide feedback...

I'm on a campagin to loose at least half the bars of weight out of my car. Doesn't seem to be working. However, the answer to your question is........ ballast!

Chuck Davis

A few of those new Burger King "Enormous Breakfast" sandwiches will work too.

Not that anyone would do this, but, if the weight was removable you could take it out for qualifing and put it in for the race. I have never seen a car have to roll across the scales until after the race.We will never have this option for we are still way over weight. Yes it is cheating, but I know it is done.

I've had to roll across the scales after qualifying per the Stewards' orders.

Then again, I'm part of the problem, driving a Spec Miata and all...

Don't recall if the IT cars in the group with us had to weigh or not.

Jarrod

I must agree with goeg...It seems that many IT drivers seem to think louder is better...then they have puzzled looks on their faces when dqed after the race (happened to me in IT when they can make the same amount of power with a nice stainless muffler...and more if they tune it properly. My 92 integra seems to be easy to make weight...i was shocked to find my car light at its opening race at sebring. I have a full length exhaust with the muffler at the rear. Good luck!!

Evan Darling
    ITA 1992 Integra

i had a surprise at vir when i came in 7 pounds heavy with alot more fuel than i calculated to make weight. looks like the spare tire is going back in. add more cage bars, fuel, and spare tire etc, you can place the weight to better balance the car.
    john costello
    its rx7 #87

When I did my first event we ran the car over the scales and found it to be 100lbs light.

Reinstalled the passenger seat, installed a spare tire and filled the tank to the very tippy top. Rolled across after the race at 12# over.

We are doing a new cage now, but may end up losing weight after pulling out the Autopower erw cage. I plan to reinstall insulation and carpet before the next event and install legal ballast to make up the remainder.

Chris

[This message has been edited by shwah (edited March 30, 2005).]

If you added 150lbs to everyone, I'd breath a sigh of relief. Finally my car could come off track with 1/4 tank of gas and be around minimum weight, rather than 175lbs over.

I kid you not, at the scales at Roebling last year, the tech guy looked at me with a straight face and asked,"what do you have in the trunk of that thing?"

Being Italian, I couldn't resist..."If I tell you WHO I have back there, you'll be joining them!"

------------------
    -Marcello Canitano
    www.SilverHorseRacing.com

Tell it all Marcello, tell it all. You and I are in the same boat (or car). I wish we had to add weight.

Ron

The only problem with using fuel as ballast is that it is not tied down. Neither a full tank, nor a near empty tank is much of a problem - but at 1/2 a tank, the 'swish' of the fuel from one side to the other can make left-right transitions a little hairy.

Originally posted by Ron:
    Tell it all Marcello, tell it all. You and I are in the same boat (or car). I wish we had to add weight.

Ron
    Well if I didn't build a A/S spec cage that I feel safe in, and instead just had a bolt-in six point with the absolute minimum bars in it, I'd be a lot closer to minimum weight. My old car was only like 60lbs. over, and a lighter driver (160 range) would have put it at weight. But again, that's a dangerous precedent to set...make weight or have a safe cage. I'll take the cage and deal with the weight, win or lose, knowing that if I ever have another bounce like I did with the old car, that I should be able to walk away without a scratch. (Not that I didn't last time, but that was just luck of where the impacts occurred.)

------------------
    -Marcello Canitano
    www.SilverHorseRacing.com

I have to run the passenger seat, spare tire, #100 ballast ( + 10# mount), extra tubes everywhere plus at least a quarter tank fuel to make minimum.

You could also put in a nice heavy steel fuel cell with wicked "extra safe" mounting.

Originally posted by Mark LaBarre:
    I have to run the passenger seat, spare tire...
    What kind of car is it?

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division