Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to hear YOUR opinion...

(taps plays in the distance)

Wow, a topic that we've reached almost total consensus on...

I agree to let them go...

Remember-
    "I'd rather die in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming and flailing like his passengers..."

------------------
    Matt Green
    "Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

I'm still trying to find out what cars we are talking about for which we can't get racing parts?

De-listing them makes no sense, that is, just to de-list it because no one is racing one TODAY. They might be in a year or two.

Ron

Ron et al-

I was not agreeing to the delisting thing, but merely to the idea of making it so that when parts are no longer available, the car goes away naturally.

I personally have some other views on de-listing and age limits, but that was not Andy's original question.

Now on whether it's "best for the membership" is another story, but I think it's best for the class. If we are going to mandate OEM wire harnesses and the like, it would be a nigghtmare to confirm availability for every part for every car. You'd be surprised how many parts go "unavailable" when you open that door...

Oh darn, my calipers aren't available any more, but the larger ones from the same model that's 2 years newer are... I guess I have to change calipers, and therefore rotors, and etc...

Crap. I've been here too long. I almost said, "and then before you know it, we've let preparation creep up..." Damn.

I've been assimilated. Resistance is futile.

------------------
    Matt Green

Originally posted by ShelbyRacer:

I've been assimilated. Resistance is futile.

In my best "Mr. Burns" Voice...Exxxxxxcellent.

BTW: Thanks for all your hard 'rules writing' work on the PDE stuff.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

[This message has been edited by Andy Bettencourt (edited March 21, 2005).]

I've always liked something like a 25 year rule for IT. They have the same for SS so why not make it a natural "transition" ?

SS = 10 years (curretnly in place)
    IT = 25 years
    Prod = ?
    GT = ?

Just an opinion

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

25 year limit to make a lot of competitive IT cars go away? Is that the intent?

I don't think this would be a good idea since a lot of these people race because of their love for their choosen car. Count me in that group. Many others don't like front drive cars are not going to start racing front wheel drive cars - count in amongst them as well. There is a huge gap through the 80s and 90s where a good IT rear wheel drive car is hard to find. If this is the way it is going I'd vote for a similar move to split IT into more groups, into ITF - IT for front drive cars.

Z's are 25+ years old, should we kill them? Plenty of parts around for them, kill them why, because they are 25+ years old? And still in the hunt for podium finishes? Sorry, I cannot support a rule like that and I think you'll find many that won't support it either.

You might like racing your newer Rabbit but not everyone shares your love.

Ron

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning Tow Beast
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS - Zero

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited March 21, 2005).]

New Rabbit? Ron, it's 21 years old. Maybe 25 years isn't the right number. All I'm saying, that if you can't get the factory OEM parts, then it might be a good time to bump it up a class, so you can remove more of the EOM parts, and replace them with aftermarket/upgraded parts. I'm not saying that IT car's aren't "real" race cars, but we all know that IT = "Invisible Technology"

This way, you would have a transition plan. Just look at the Neon's. Very popular SSC and SSB cars, but how many are running in IT?

Just 1 example of a a bunch of cars with cages that now have to become daily drivers.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GP Wabbit

This got me thinkng, and Ron's right, there aren't many newer cars getting classified.

Just looked through the 2005 ITCS, and without any of the FasTrack additions, here are the # of cars listed for 1999 and 2000 models in IT

ITS, 62 cars classified, 5 models from 1999
    Acura Integra GS-R
    BMW 323i
    Honda Civic Si
    Mazda Miata
    Mercury Cougar

ITA, 83 cars classified, 4 models from 1999 and 1 model from 2000
    Acura Intrega
    BMW 318ti
    Chrysler Neon, both SOHC and DOHC

and the ONLY 2000 car listed is a Dodge Stratus

ITB, of 90 cars classified, none from 99-00
    ITC, of 72 cars classified, none from 99-00

This looks more like a car classification issue than an age issue.

I do like your ITF idea. Just let it rain

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GP Wabbit

As I read it you suggested a rule to bump it for age regardless of parts. If I mis-understood then forgive me. Z cars are approching 35 years old but I'm willing to wager parts will be around for them indefinitely due to numbers built and popularity.

I'm not against Rabbits, front wheel drives, or new cars. It is just there aren't many good ITS RWD choices out there throughout the 80s except water cooled Porsches and 300zxs. IMHO of course.

In the 90s there are a few - 240sxs, BMW 325s, but that is about it for rear drivers. Obviously I'm considering ITS but that is what I want to race.

There are lots of cars I've wondered why they have not been classed: Tarrus SHO (a front driver at that), 300z, early Porsche 928s, etc. Sooner or later we're going to have to face the fact that 200hp stock does not make a world beater in IT and class these cars. Hell, what happens in 5 more years when all these high hp pocket rockets out now are ready for IT? Keep writing responses to keep them unclassified that say "Too much performance potential?"

Ain't gonna keep the class alive. New cars need to be classed in IT and if they have too much performance for ITS then open a new class up.

Ron

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning Tow Beast
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS - Zero

***Prod = ?***

Tim, don't be a chicken $hit. Put a number in place of the ? mark. The boys on the other site that lurk here will love you.

Have Fun
    David

With the power of the net today, cars that were "impossible to find parts for" 5 or even 10 years ago are going strong today, thanks to Ebay, etc.

If your car is out of parts these days, it's REALLY over!

....let it slip quietly into prod....

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by racer_tim:
    This way, you would have a transition plan. Just look at the Neon's. Very popular SSC and SSB cars, but how many are running in IT?
    Actually, that's an issue of a car being grossly mis-classed. Now that they are in the right place (ITA), you'll be seeing a lot of them. They might not be big in some places, but I'm sure the CENDiv guys (or at least the ones from Michigan and a few other places) can tell you that Spec Neon was starting to take off. I do think that SN will dwindle now that ITA offers a real nice alternative.

Tim is right though, as I also feel that a transition plan needs to be in place, along with a philosophy that supports it.

And everything that has a beginning must have an end. The "natural causes" method that Andy put forth seems to be the intelligent choice.

------------------
    Matt Green

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
    In my best "Mr. Burns" Voice...Exxxxxxcellent.

BTW: Thanks for all your hard 'rules writing' work on the PDE stuff.

AB

Thank you... I'm sure you noticed, it was more a rules "massage" than a rewrite.

In order to not hijack your thread with another topic, can you email me? I had a question or two for you...

mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com

------------------
    Matt Green

while this thread got a concenus that we did not want the itac going out and specifying alternate parts, delisting is a whole nuther kettle of fish. I see no reason to proactively purge old cars for the good the the class.

by the way I was the first in this thread to equate dieing with going to prod. that was meant to be tounge and cheek. I used my smiley face darn it.
    dick

I do like your ITF idea. Just let it rain.
    I bet it won't be as much fun for you if it was split up FWD/RWD and you didn't have a bunch of rear wheel drivers to run off the track! :-)

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning Tow Beast
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS - Zero

Ron, or having some SSC Acura take you out on the first corner.

http://66.160.139.36/Rose-Cup-Start.avi

And this was in the DRY.

That was my last race due to additional employment problems.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GP Wabbit

Ron, water cooled Porsches and 300z's? You better tell the 10 or so 86-90 ITS RX-7's that show at Mid Ohio that they do not make a good ITS car.

Sorry, I was going by the IMHO. I know about the second gen RX7s, fantastic cars, but not what I personally wished to race or own. So, in fairness I should count them but you still have to admit, pickings are slim for good S cars in the dark years.

Ron

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
    We have recently received a couple letters asking for some specific allowances due to the availablility of OEM parts. I ask you this:

Andy,

Death is emanate for all human beings and so it is for most race cars. Old cars that don't die on there own need to go to a place called "vintage racing". Those guys have an endless supply of parts which I think come from purgatory. I think thre's a need to set an age limit on cars running in all classes.

Chuck Davis

When a car becomes so old (or rare) that the OEM (even Mazda) doesn't support things like brakes, windshields, etc - and there are no aftermarket OEM equivilant parts available, should we............

1. Allow the car to die a slow death, relying on drivers to retire their cars because they can't field legal versions? Does this encourage cheating? Does this promote loss of membership to other clubs who will cater to these types of drivers?

2. Allow alternate parts from other, newer models...or even alternate materials for things like glass, etc.

My immediate thoughts are to let these cars die. It becomes a NIGHTMARE to manage this type of process, as well as having to take drivers at their word on things that 'can't be found' anymore. Not even mentioning how we police each other in grid...

But what is BEST for the membership as a whole?

AB

I think the general plan to let them die is a good overview.

But, I think keeping an option open, isn't bad either.

Hypothetically, If 20% of the ITC cars were WomBat's, and the original WomBat ball joint was no longer available, but the WomBat GT ball joint was available, would you rather lose 20% of a class, or make an allowance for that ball joint?

In life we like to have a single solution for a problem, but that isn't always doable. Sometimes we have to have complex answers.