Originally posted by JeffYoung:
Katman, we will let you know when we make it down to RA. Will try the ARRC this year I think.

One question though (since I have a brake challenged car as well). CMP is hard on the brakes for me, for this reason. From Turn 11 through the "autocross" section, I'm not using the brakes all that hard, but I'm using them 4 times in a row. No time for them to cool.

This causes me problems, far more than VIR where I believe the braking for Turn 1 is a lot like 10a. About 130 mph down to 50 or so. At VIR I'm off of the brakes a lot, no real time to cook them.

So, what I'm getting is literally a melting of the piston seals in the caliper. I've got the brakes ducted to the rotors, but have not yet added caliper ducts.

At CMP when I use the brakes that many times in a row in that succession, I get too much heat in the caliper and the piston seal starts to go away.

Any thoughts/ideas/solutions? I've tried some things, including one thing that I ripped out because I decided it was illegal (a fluid recirculating valve), but no luck yet. Cooked the right front seal at CMP before I broke the transmission a few weeks back.

The only thing I haven't tried, other than caliper ducts, is hard metal pads that Kirk recommended. He thinks they will transfer less heat to the pistons. I will try this next if the problem continues, but again wanted the advice of (a) someone who obviously knows what he is talking about and ( someone who has worked with brake challenged cars.

Thanks.

Jeff
Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you some info.

------------------
katman