Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some feedback for my 2005 schedule!

Default I need some feedback for my 2005 schedule!

I am seeking some feedback on the following events! My Brother, Father and myself are planning on doing something very very different for us! We are not planning on running ANY of our local events as we all would like to take a year and go adventure! the follwoing is what we have tentavly scheduled to do. It keeps the majority of our races almost 6 weeks apart to save money and time for other things. It also incorporates most of what I have heard are the best tracks to drive in the north East. I would like to go to Summit but it just doesn't fit in very well financially. I would like your feedback on the following events. I am looking for things like attendance, hospitality, Fun, Track Time, and overall value. Since we live in NH and the tows are far we really are looking for first class events. We figure that these 9 races will honestly cost close to the same as running the entire NARRC series and the AARC last year. (Only it seems alot more fun!) If anyone else is interested in joining us on the travles let us know as well!

May 7-8 Double at VIR (14Hrs)
    July 2-3 Double at Mid Ohio (14Hrs)
    August 20-21 Double at Beaverrun PA (9Hrs)
    September 17-18 Double at Watkins Glen (7Hrs)
    November 11-13 ARRC at Atlanta GA (18Hrs)

Oh ya the one other thing that I was looking for was who to contact in these regions for Reserved Numbers.

ITB #50 Audi Coupe
    ITB #51 Audi Coupe

Stephen Blethen

For your forays into SEDiv, you'd need to get in touch with Jim Creighton - see http://www.sedivracing.org/#perm - but it's really a pointless effort, I think.

Because the Spec Pinatas are in the same group as ITB, there is like ONE number that hasn't already been reserved in the division. You'd be better off with a white spot on the car and a stock of those number stickers that car dealers use.

K

Stephen,

I also plan on running the 4th of July at Mid Ohio and make that trip every 2 years. Usually large fields but they have been dropping of late. If you go I'll bring the Bratwurst (Carle's in Bucyrus).

------------------
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITS '95 325is
    Racing BMW's since 1984

I didn't see Nelson Ledges on your list.

Great track. You ought to give it a try. Superior to Beaver and the Glen's short track.

Cheers.

Stephen, we have a double Regional at Blackhawk Farms @ Rockton, IL the following weekend. But to meet the brothers it could be worth doing the trip from Wauwatosa, WI to Mid Ohio. Been to the Runoffs many times & have raced there at one double with my Spec-7. FUN TRACK........ This is now on the thinking burner.

Have Fun
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv
    ITA/7 #14

SARRC/MARRS at VIR in May (on your list) is one of the largest if not the largest amateur racing events in the US. 400+ cars last year. You've probably already heard about VIR. Fantastic facility and difficult track.

Stephen,
    When you are down at VIR say hi to my brother. he will be there with a bright green EP 2002. You will love VIR plus it will give a place for thos 5 cylinders to open up. If you can get down to Summit Point for the Labor Day Double Regional, 300 plus cars and summit is a cool track.

------------------
    Sam Rolfe
    TBR Motorsports
    #85 ITC VW Rabbit being converted to LPHP
    #85 GP Scirocco

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    ...But to meet the brothers it could be worth doing the trip from Wauwatosa, WI to Mid Ohio.
    Dave,

You gotta meet the brothers. They are fun and fast. Of course, one thinks he is faster than the other, but I can't remember which.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Hey, Mid-O's always worth the haul, and that has always tended to be a strong weekend for IT... It's in my plans to attend...

------------------
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB/GTS1
    www.vaughanscott.com

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    Dave,

You gotta meet the brothers. They are fun and fast. Of course, one thinks he is faster than the other, but I can't remember which.

That's what their girlfiends said as well....

(couldn't resist....)

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Stephen & Raymond,
    I'm sure all of us Mid Ohio regulars would love to see you guys at Mid Ohio. I think the numbers for that weekend should be better than last years since it doesn't actually include the 4th which I think has taken away from the numbers. Let me know if you need anymore info about that weekend or Mid Ohio as I only live about 50 minutes from the track.

Everyone should do Mid Ohio at least once. I've been trying to talk a lot of SEDiv and NEDiv drivers into making the trip this year with limited success. I made the trip to the ARRC last year and will again this year. Now I just need to make that trip to Lime Rock like I said I would.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

So it sounds like these are all pretty good events! that's great and kinda what I gather from this board and talking to people. Summit is something I really really want to do but I think funds would be tight since I definetly want to go to VIR and Mid Ohio. I would have to give up one of those events to afford Summit since the Summit event is earlier in the season. Nelson is another track I thought long and Hard about. My father went there last year and loved it! We are big fans of a famous instructor that works at Beaver.... Shawn Lewis! So in honor of him we have to go to the beaver this year.

On a side note for Kevin. I would not recomend lime Rock for an SCCA event. If you want to have fun and get track time do an Emra event or something like that. SCCA events at lime rock are very very limited track time with up to 50+ cars on track at once (only 1.54 miles so it is very very crowded) From what I here the Emra events are far superior for track time and value. This is hard for me to admit since I have gone to lime rock and had a family member (father or my brother and I) race every year since 1984. This will be the first year in over 20 years I haven't been to a race there! Last year with the 52 cars on track for qualifying was the final straw on running at lime rock (along with the increased entry fees).

Stephen Blethen

Ok now I need some help form our fellow canadians! AKA Vantage Motorsports! Several of our friends want to come visit your track in Canada so I am thinking that round 2 or 3 might be feasable at AMP round 2 is June 18-19 and round 3 is July 16th and 17th. Do you recomend either one?

Anyone from the states want to go to Nova Scotia? (sp)

Stephen

Just a quick note...

I am the faster Brother (Raymond) when my car runs and as far as an SCCA event at Lime Rock... I think that NER does a great job at "grouping" the cars together... or at least they do the best job that can be done. The other regions can be horrible at it sometimes and it makes for a lot of stress before the event wondering what the heck they are going to change to fit in everyone. The track is short ("1.54 miles") and the restrictions on times the cars can be run makes scheduling a tough job for the regions... but IMO the more cars on the track the more fun it is... I would rather have the max # of cars allowed at one time rather than 20 or even 7 cars at one time which you might see at an EMRA event.

IMO if you want to travel to the Northeast and compete against several (not 1-3) tough competitors then come to Lime Rock. The track is shorter than those elsewhere in the country but the track is still probably one of the best in the country and it is still a must drive track for any hard core enthusiasts...

Anyway I don’t want the thread to turn into a Northeast thread debating over Lime Rock so I will end that…

How about the schedule??? For a limited budget season (yeah we said that last year, but still went all out, so this year it is even more limited) does this seem like a good schedule… any other opinions? Anyone else want to join us? We will also need to visit the hole in the wall bar at each track… so I guess we need the suggestions on that as well… My travels will likely involve an extra day to do non-racing things… any suggested events in those areas at those dates?

Thanks for all your support and suggestions;

Raymond “Trying to make the best of it” Blethen

Oh Jake... your girlfriend said you were faster

Couldn't resist either :-P When will we have spec-7 or IT-7 running with the ITB cars in the Northeast??? sounds like fun to me

Hope things are well!!!

Raymond

PS: also just cause we are not "scheduled" to race doesn't mean we wont be at the track supporting (or driving if extra cash comes our way)... so you still have to be nice

You said the Summit Point is earlier then VIR and MidO... The labor day event is 9/3 - 9/5. (I get the other holiday mixed up myself) Jake F. and I went there two years ago and I am planning on making the trip this year. DC is very close and always worth a trip after the qual. day for beer. Everyone is very friendly and the even the night life at the track is fun. Over the past two years of racing, this may have been my favorite event. (My wife and possibly some other friends will be going...she'll go off to DC during the qual. day again for those not as crazed about racing as us.)

Hopefully I'll be able to get a bunch of us NER drivers to make the trip. Jake G., Greg? Ray, Stephen?

You could then switch to one of the other Glen events. I'm thinking the 7/23 weekend myself.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

Hi all
    As crew for the Blethen family I would like to visit some of the interesting sights
    available. I had a ball at Mid Ohio at the Runoffs and plan to enjoy this season. I will do my best to make "meeting the brothers" an unforgetable experience.
    Tom Gray

Tom, they can do that all by thenselves! lol

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by SamITC85:
    If you can get down to Summit Point for the Labor Day Double Regional, 300 plus cars and summit is a cool track.

i don't have my data sheets handy, but i believe the summit labor day double in 2004 topped the vir double for car count. there were almost 400 cars at the summit race, 350 or so at vir. quite the event!

Let me throw my two cents in for Mid-Ohio. Great track, parties have been great. Lots of great things to do.

I will probably have my car together, but since the event is my region's only race, I will probably be working (starter).

Columbus is probably out of the way for you guys, but one of our favorite activities is Speeds, an indoor 22 turn kart track. I race there every week with a friend who is a three-time national champion and recipient of the President's Cup (1959). He still whups up on us every week!

Do plan to make it. We would love to see you out here.

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing
    83 ITA Shelby Dodge Charger