Thread: Data Logging

Default Data Logging

Just wondered what everbody liked or disliked about the system they were using. I'm going to be buying a system to install on my 944 ITS car. I would like to be able to do the following: Lateral g's, steering position, throttle position, track map, RPM and either wheel speed, or the GPS system. Possibly shock travel/speed.
    Any suggestions/recommendations welcome.

We haven't even instrumented the car and I'm already comfortable attributing 2.5 seconds of found time - in the driver - to my DL-1.

K

Please use a system that measures real G loads--say, 50 plus.

It does us no good to learn that you demolished the car, can only recognize the engine block, and pegged the needle in your namby-pamby 10G system.

Sorry for the lame attempt at humor. Call me greedy.

For the record, the DL product line is very impressive.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Gregg, if you provide it, I'll run it...<grin>!

Ditto on the DL-1. Comes with 2-axis Gs and GPS out of the box. I credit it for 2-3 seconds per lap for me at VIR last Fall, the first time I saw it. This year it'll be mounted in the NX with lots of nice additonal inputs (TPS, brakes, tach, ad nauseum...)

I use an OLD PI system 1 that I have had forever. I still like it and I still use it at almost every race and always at a new track or chasing a new setup.

The new AIM sports set-up is on my wish list.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

I've been very happy with the AIM system (1 year under the belt so far). But as noted, there's other systems out there that work quite well too. One of the important differentiators seems to be the software to analyse the data - check out the options thoroughly.

Also - check out the article in GRM from Nonnamaker, discusses the use of DAS/DAQ. I was a little bummed, hoped it would go into more detail as I've already figured that much out on my own, but oh well. Maybe it's time for me to look into one of those real big serious books on using DAQ?

------------------
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB/GTS1
    www.vaughanscott.com

Thanks for all the input. I've had a lot of experience and support from Mychron/AIM in karting. Also, the DL1 looks very attractive.
    The video capability looks really cool, but is it really beneficial for driver development?