Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallett vs Mid America. Which is better?

Default Hallett vs Mid America. Which is better?

Hi
    I may have a chance to race at one of those two tracks this year and I want to get everyone's opinion who has been there as to the pros and cons of each of those tracks.

From what I have seen both look pretty flat and boring. Mid America does not even seem to have any berms. Are they nice facilities? Is it worth a one day drive (for me) to go to either of these places?
    thanks
    rick

Rick, I've never raced Mid-America, but I can assure you that Hallett is definitely NOT flat and boring. It's no VIR as far as facilities go, but it's a fun and challenging race track.

There are significant elevation changes, blind over-the-hill corners (you'll love "The Bitch"), off-camber turns and braking areas, and plenty of places for passing and strategy. It takes a good driver to wring the best outta that old girl.

Always enjoyed racing there, used to consider it my home track although it was several hours away. Hope to make it back some day...GA

I drove Hallett in August 2003 in a 500hp USST truck set up for the road course. Even the straights have elevation changes. I'd only raced at the Florida tracks, Daytona (banked), Sebring and Moroso before and I had a ball. I don't know which turn is the "Bitch", but I have an idea. You can run it in both directions also. We ran in the clockwise direction. Don't miss your opportunity to go!
    Those big V-8 trucks aren't as agile as my ole ITC 510, but they sure are fast as hell down those straights!!!!

Hallet is one of the most interesting tracks in the Midwest.

We have not had the opportunity to race at Mid-America but I can tell you that Hallet is in no way boring or flat.

------------------
    Jennifer Rudder
    PFM Racing
    www.pfmracing.com

Never been to MA.
    At the Hallett drivers breifing when they tell to watch out for the turtles pay attention.

rick, where do you tow from ?

Have Fun
    David

I am in Nor California. Sounds like everyone likes Hallett and nobody has been to Mid America.

Mid-America has better facilities (nice bathrooms, separate shower rooms with sinks, etc). It is FLAT, and pretty fast. Hotels in the south Council Bluffs area are 20-30 minutes away with the requisite Walmart and restaurants. Spectators can watch the whole race from the grandstands; I have to admit, it's kind of nice to SEE where the car is at instead of having to guess.

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/

Hallett has decent bathrooms with showers (hey, I'll use them, and they're not porta-johns). Hotels are 20-30 minutes away, but chain-type hotels are closer to 40-45 minutes away in Sand Springs (west side of Tulsa) or Stillwater (college town). The track can be very abrasive and hard on brakes, but it is a fun track to drive, but more technical than Mid-America. I think Chris would tell you it is his favorite Mid-west division track, except for the drive getting there (St. Louis to Hallett is down I-44; ~5 hours of nasty hills and turns between StL and Springfield).
    http://www.hallettracing.com/

If you are going to go through the trouble, I would tell you to go to Hallett.

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Originally posted by GregAmy:
    Rick, I've never raced Mid-America, but I can assure you that Hallett is definitely NOT flat and boring. It's no VIR as far as facilities go, but it's a fun and challenging race track.

There are significant elevation changes, blind over-the-hill corners (you'll love "The Bitch"), off-camber turns and braking areas, and plenty of places for passing and strategy. It takes a good driver to wring the best outta that old girl.

Always enjoyed racing there, used to consider it my home track although it was several hours away. Hope to make it back some day...GA
    Consider this an official invitation to come race there with me sometime sharing my car.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

(Schweeet!!)

The Turtles are gone. The Stephens have done some nice upgrades since getting control of the place. If you can learn to corner at Hallett you can race most anywhere.

No more Turtles, damn. There was nothing like going through the dip looking up the hill for the turn in point at the top of the hill, then blowing the whole turn to miss the moving lump in the road.

Did my first school at Hallett. It is a long pull from the Austin area but I plan to go back at least once this year.

P Sherm Guest

My .02...

MAM is flat and fast and there's a couple corners that are tricky to find the right line. The facilities are nice w/large portion of the paddock paved. The track is smooth and plenty wide overall.

Hallett IMO, is much more fun. Not quite like Mid-Ohio, but nice elevation changes. It isn't as smooth as MAM, but I *THINK* they're fixing some parts of the pavement. Not sure because of the other track construction in Tulsa. Very little paved paddock space, mostly grass & gravel.

Neither track will cause you trouble if you venture off into the green asphalt (no concrete). And I think the turtles are MOSTLY gone at Hallett, but I'd still be careful if you are on track early morning in the spring...

If you have the chance, I'd say go check out Hallett.

------------------
    #59 SSC Neon
    Wichita Region
    Yes, I know it's not an IT car... yet...

Originally posted by P Sherm:
    I *THINK* they're fixing some parts of the pavement. Not sure because of the other track construction in Tulsa.
    Oh my. What track would that be?

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

I've raced both and Hallett is way ahead. MAM is fun, the facilities are nice, but the gravel road in is a bitch. You spend all your time cleaning up from that white limestone fine dust that gets in everything. I raced Hallett when it opened in 1977 and it is every bit as much of a challenge now as then. I wish they would do the "backasswards" race again, where we ran clockwise. Stay at the track. Lots of social activity going on. I've been "adopted" by several racers over the years because I go to most races by myself.

I race at both MAM and Hallett. I agree with the others, Hallett is way more fun, mostly due to the elevation change and blind corners. Both tracks are challenging in their own ways and relatively free from obstructions to run into. Stay at the track for both. Des Moines Valley region has been putting on great Friday night unofficial feeds at MAM and the official party/meal on Saturday evening is very good at both. Instead of choosing only one, just take in both.
    Mike Trier
    IT7 99

The turtles are gone? Tell that to the Atlantic driver I watched spray turtle guts out of the cockpit of his car last April. "Fortunately" the turtle "created" a drain hole for him....

Any of you who have previously been to MAM will be happy to know that the road to the track has been graded for paving, and that the paving SHOULD be done by the first SCCA event next Spring (April 23-24 for those scoring at home.)

Jarrod

Yeah, there are still a few turtles around - and they're not the little terrarium variety, either, they're probably in the 5# range and larger than a dinner plate.

In any event, I'd definitely add Hallett to my list of "tracks I must race on before I die". It's by far my favorite Midwest track. It's not as fancy as M-O, or the Glen - but every bit as challenging.

If you can only make it one time, do it for the 4th of July race. The Saturday night fireworks competition is a nice diversion.

------------------
    Norm - #55 ITA, '86 MR2. [email protected]

P Sherm Guest

Originally posted by Geo:
    Oh my. What track would that be?
    Geo: Dan Guterman (sp?) is/was building a track in the NE part of Tulsa, in the same area as the drag strip. I don't know the status of it anymore, as I heard he was having some issues with permits. IIRC, it's designed by the same guy that did MAM, Barber as well as others. Another flat layout, approx 2.2 miles I think.

------------------
    #59 SSC Neon
    Wichita Region

P Sherm Guest

Originally posted by JIgou:
    will be happy to know that the road to the track has been graded for paving, and that the paving SHOULD be done by the first SCCA event next Spring (April 23-24 for those scoring at home.)

Jarrod
    Jarrod: Are they paving the road from the north side into the track only?

------------------
    #59 SSC Neon
    Wichita Region