Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Guy needs some advice

Originally posted by JeffYoung:
    GO WITH TOYOS. My first year in ITS, I bought a set. 5 race weekends, total tire bill for the year: $600 (6 tires).... <snip>
    Without breaking any posting "rules", are there places people would like to recommend on WHERE to get Toyos? I will be attending the February double-school at Roebling Road (Savanna, GA). I have two sets of well-worn Hoosiers and a set of Toyo "rains". I want to pick up 4 or 6 shaved Toyos beforehand.

Thanks, in advance.

------------------
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

Originally posted by Newbie:
    Well, I did it! I put an offer on the RX-7 and it was accepted.

So, where do you guys go for track time? I'd like to get out early and often in 2005.

Steve

Welcome to ITS!! At least Rich W. will have another RX7 to play with next year, If I sell my car. If I don't, I suspect I'll see you at some point!

Midwestern Council http://my.execpc.com/~mcscc/
    runs a full race series as well at BFR, RA, Gingerman, etc. if you really want lots of seat time.

Feel free to emial me
    Jeff Giordano
    [email protected]
    RX7 #67 (also SS)

Insurance - are you talking about life insurance at the track? If so, shhhh! I did find it odd that my wife had a sudden interest on working on my car and my hub snapped off in turn one. Hey!!

Like others have said and will continue to say over, and over again, track time AND learning the right stuff is key. It is so much more cost effective to spend money on yourself then on the car.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

Originally posted by Mike Spencer:
    Without breaking any posting "rules", are there places people would like to recommend on WHERE to get Toyos?
    Do some shopping around but I'd bet that philstireservice.com can get them to you for less dough than anyone else.

Order them fully treaded (Phil doesn't shave) and take them to Hall Tire (Greensboro) to have them trimmed down to whatever degree you want. They charged me $10 each for the service and they WILL mount and balance tires that they don't sell.

K

"Anyways, the car was built by Speed Source"

Steve, whose/which car did you buy? I have a SS car too and kinda like to keep up w/ them. Maybe someone should start a registry.

Big Bear tire in Oconomowoc can help with tires.Call Parish Insurance for a quote on race car insurance(pretty cheap). There is a guy in new berlin next door to us that has storage space for rent.I also have space in Glendale for rent. I can give you many other local sources for stuff you might need.
    Stop in and get your saftey equipment before the prices go up in Jan. I will be at the PRI show wed-sat and be back at work on mon AM.
    I also do the SCCA Novice Licensing so, if you need the forms for that let me know and i'll bring some along to work. Call if you have questions.

Bob Clark
    Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
    800-688-6946 ext 1225
    414-254-5702 cell

Originally posted by bldn10:
    "Anyways, the car was built by Speed Source"

Steve, whose/which car did you buy? I have a SS car too and kinda like to keep up w/ them. Maybe someone should start a registry.
    I bought the Blue and Yellow # 47 from Rich Walker, some guy named Buzz used to own it. Rich moved on to RX-8's and runs with the Speedsource team. I think I got pretty lucky, since he's giving me 20 or 24 tires, 14 wheels, an extra gear box, and sending it to Speed Source to have them make sure all is in order before it ships. I spoke with Sylvain Tremblay, the owner of Speed Source, and he vouched for the car.

Maybe I can get the Cub Scouts to sponsor me? If I could figure out how to post a picture, you'd see what I mean.

Thanks,

Steve

I too can vouch for any Speedsource car. I know the men and the cars pretty well. The "some guy named Buzz" is Buzz Marcus. He is fantastic to be around. He has racing stories that are truly amazing. He is also very fast and consistantly wins races, despite his "advanced" experience.:>)

If I could figure out how to paste a photo here you, could see Buzz battling Kip VanSteenburg driving Nick Leverone's car at Sebring a few weeks ago.

Enjoy that car. You will have loads of trouble free track time with it.

------------------
    Marc Dana
    #63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
    #77 STS BMW 325I

My car is fast, I am not. Buzz just blew by me in qualifying a few weeks ago with Kip on his tail. Those guys are FAST. Buzz is a legend. Kip is gonna be one someday too. I just wish I could have stayed close enough to Buzz and Kip to learn something. The class was over quickly.

Happy Holidays everyone