Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Got caught Cheating...

***And how many cars with NASCAR bars actually comply with the "removal of no more metal than is absolutely required" part of the driver's door.***

Norm, the words are actually:

"and the inner door structal door panel may be modified, but not removed to facilate this type side protection."

It was good to meet you this past weekend at Gateway International.

Have Fun
    David

David, I think the "inner door structural panel" is the Government mandated crash protection...i.e. factory door bars/reinforcment. I have seen cars that had the stock door bar notched to clear the tie bars on the NASCAR bars.

------------------
    Chuck Baader
    #36 ITA E30 BMW
    Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

Chuck, your post could be correct.

The rule continues:

***and the inner door structal door panel may be modified, but not removed to facilate this type side protection.*** "The stock side impact beam and outside door latch/lock operating mechanism shall not be removed or modified."

I am not looking for a method to be illegal, just looking at the rules to legally get the most I can as I convert from Spec-7 to ITA/7.

Have Fun
    David

Dave -

That's what I get for paraphrasing the rules without the book in front of me. Same meaning - different phraseology.

And, yeah, it was good to meet you too.

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    I was told he got the lightest penalty possible, but I never checked the validity of that.
    The penalty assesed in the case being refered to was "Loss of Accrued points", the highest severity possible with the exception of "Expulsion from the SCCA". See GCR 14.4.1.

In light of what was done at Lime Rock this year (a DQ) for a case where there appeared to be intent to cheat for performance gain, something is totally out of whack.

Originally posted by chuck baader:
    I think the "inner door structural panel" is the Government mandated crash protection...i.e. factory door bars/reinforcment.
    The "inner door structural panel" is the metal that the cardboard/material panel, commonly called the "door panel" attaches to.

Originally posted by chuck baader:
    I have seen cars that had the stock door bar notched to clear the tie bars on the NASCAR bars.
    The rule clearly states that the side impact door beam may not be modified. If you've seen cars with notched side impact beams then they are plainly illegal.

It makes you wonder what they were thinking when they read the rule. If they'd glossed over the rule, why go through the pain of notching the stock beam to retain it?

------------------
    Scott Rhea
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

Izzy's Custom Cages

Once........when I was five.

And I walked right through that door.....

and I did, just like that

I walked right through the door