Thread: Uniform Cleaning?

Default Uniform Cleaning?

Well its the end of the Season for this year for us. I looking for some infor on Uniform cleaning for storage. Is it ok to have the drivers Suit Dry cleaned or should it be hand washed?

DO NOT dry-clean your drivers suit. The chemicals they typically use are flamable.

Have them wash it if you can't and then let it air dry.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    ITS RX-7 and ITA project SM
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

What Andy said . . .

If you have a dry cleaner in your area that uses the CO2 process, that will work. Or, you can just wash it on gentle cycle and hang-dry it.

You clean your uniform once a year??????

Hand wash it in the bathtub, lightly scrub any heavily soiled areas (hopefully you've not had any major shunts ), then hang it over something strong to air dry.

I guess we need to go through this again. As a professional drycleaner, I make the following recommendations:

1.FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS.

2. Proban and other chemical treated cotton suits should not, in general, be drycleaned by any method. FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS.

3. Nomex is a specific fiber and responds well to washing and dry cleaning by any method. The main reason to dry clean is to remove oil and grease stains. Dry cleaning WILL NOT remove food, grass, or body discharge stains. FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS.

4. Frequency of cleaning. AFTER EVERY EVENT. Tests have shown that clean clothes last longer than clothes that are worn several times then cleaned. Has to do with dirt particles actually wearing the fibers in the garment. Same goes for men's dress shirts..they last longer if cleaned after each wearing. One other aspect of cleaning frequency. Stains that are left in the suit between wearings become set...removable only by scissors!!! CLEAN YOUR SUIT AFTER EACH EVENT BY THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS.

5. When cleaning, close all zippers and velcro fasteners, buckles, etc. My Sparco suit does not like to be turned inside-out, but others may. When washing, hang to dry. Same goes for your nomex underwear and hoods. Gloves can be cleaned but there is some risk of making the leather palms stiffer.(cleaning removes the oils that keep leather soft) Heavily soiled gloves could probably be washed and hung to dry unless oil stained...see above. Chuck

[quote]Originally posted by L.Lamb:
    [B]You clean your uniform once a year???? Just call me John Force

Thanks Chuck and ALL. Had been doing the Hand wash Deal just looking for the easy way out for the end of the year. I think Chuck has replied more than once about this, but always a help to get the up date. "Follow the manufacture's Instructions" or "If all else fails read the Directions"

Thank you Chuck Badder for your immense words of wisdom!!!!
    This is a subject we have beaten time and time again.
    PLEASE follow the instructions given by the people who built the suit.
    cheers
    dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97

Here's a quick and easy way to remove grease, oil, and other nasty oil based stains on your suit. Before washing, put talc powder or baby powder or even baking soda on the stain and rub it in. It will absorb the oil in the stain. Then wash your suit in cool or lukewarm water. Hang to dry. I did this for many years and the suits stayed looking great. As for washing frequently...yes, after every event. BO mixed with the smell of nomex can really get to you, let alone the dirt destroying the fibers.

Originally posted by L.Lamb:
    You clean your uniform once a year??????
    Ughhhhhh!!!

Maybe it's my age...but why does this thread bring to mind George C. Scott talking to Peter Sellers, on black and white film ?

Originally posted by joeg:
    Ughhhhhh!!!
    No actually after every race by Hand washing. Just thought would use a Professional Service, Then it would come back nicely covered for storage. The only cleaner in town uses "Perk"

I was wondering about using trak auto hand cleaner (white non-abrasive) on a nomex suit as a pre-treatment of tough grease before the light cycle wash.

It works wonders on jeans and uniforms on everything but paint.

Actually the white stuff will work well on nomex. It is soap and mineral spirits, and years ago, mineral spirits was the dry cleaning fluid of choicel. Will not hurt nomex but I would not recommend it on treated cotton such as Proban.

To clear up some confusion, hand washing/washing in general is the only way to remove the funk from a suit.(funk comes under the heading of body discharge) Ivory dishwashing liqiud is an excellent soap for this. The more expensive "Hand washing soaps" are mostly water and Ivory does a much better job. Chuck

Ever see John Force's suit?

as Slim Pickens sez, " one .45 auto., $100.00 in gold, $100.00 in Rubules, 2 pair silk stockings, 1 pack chewing gum, 4 candy bars, 2 condoms. Shoot a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas" Later glenn

According to Simpson-'perk' is fine if done to their instructions. My suit says to dry-clean and it came home perfect. I would have machine-washed it if I felt better about that method. How many times is certainly dependent on the cleaner you use. If they go overboard with the 'perk' the lifespan will be decreased. Brought mine home hanging in a bag and promptly folded it up and rebagged in my duffle-NO problems.

Very important-make sure all patches are sewn tight. DO NOT rely on the adhesive that is used on some as it will give way even in a washer.

------------------
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song
    '03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow