Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Duper Double Ultra Cheap Isaac System

Default Super Duper Double Ultra Cheap Isaac System

(Head Restraint Focus Group Time)

Two things that I recall my marketing professor saying:

1) Even if they are absolutely, positively, completely wrong, the customer is always right--in their own mind.

It is an undeniable fact. If you think the world is flat, there is no way you are getting on that boat with Columbus because if you do you will fall off the edge of the Earth. You are wrong in your perception, but your perception drives your actions. This is an extreme example of course, but we all do it to one degree or another.

In the world of head and neck restraints the vast majority of drivers don’t use them because they are considered to be too expensive. It’s not a matter of being right or wrong, it’s a matter of perceived risk and perceived cost. “They are too expensive. It won’t happen to me. I could put that money toward a set of tires.”

Yes I know, a good product should cost less than $100 per year of service, but most buyers don’t get past the purchase price. Consequently, H&N restraints are used by only 2% of drivers and there is still an average fatality rate of one driver per month attributable to head and neck injuries—-same as ten years ago. This bothers us. A lot.

And,

2) Never, ever under any circumstances announce a new product before it is ready for market.

We don’t have a new product, but we have been looking at a low-cost version of the Isaac system designed for the driver who goes kicking and screaming into every safety purchase. Let’s just say we’ve been scratching on the back of the perennial envelope and like what we see. We know roughly what it will cost to build. We don’t know how well it will work, but it should perform fairly well.

So, should we continue development and bring it to market? We can’t do any scientific surveys here, and we appreciate that there is no yes-or-no answer, but we would like your comments on the following product concept:

Pros:
    -Does not have to be worn
    -One size fits all
    -Can be used with any helmet
    -Can be upgraded to a more advanced Isaac system
    -Works better (we think) than a webbing-based product like a Hutchens or D-Cel/Simpson.

Cons:
    -Doesn’t work as well as an original Isaac (or HANS)
    -May require periodic replacement of some components
    -Less lateral support than the original Isaac system

Price:
    This is a market segment we cannot serve with the original Isaac system because it is simply too expensive to manufacture. Hence, every sale is an incremental dollar earned and a potential life saved, so we are willing to be very aggressive on pricing.

The question for you racers:
    What is the price point at which the average amateur racer would respond, “Get outta town/You gotta be kiddin’/No way!”?

Thanks.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Greg, what is the actual price of the standard system?

------------------
    Chuck Baader
    #36 ITA E30 BMW
    Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

Chuck,

The price of the Intermediate Isaac system (most popular) is $895. We came out with the Basic Isaac system, which uses a simpler pin connector to help address the cost issue, at $725.

We also offer a made-to-order titanium alloy model for very high impact environments, but that's another story.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Gregg,

I think you are facing an uphill battle (I do applaud the effort, concern for racer's safety, and the business ethics and morals you display). Many people in the racing community do not put safety as their number one priority. That being said, I would think your system would have to come in at the <$200 range...why?: there is a H&N restraint system in stores now, Hutchens Device (which I am sure you have tons of data on), which is in the $250-$400 range Keep in mind I am not comparing device vs. device for safety/usability features, just H&N Restraint costs. If people are not attracted to the $250 models, then I cannot see them opening their wallets unless it is lower than $200.

Regards,
    Alan

FYI- I own/use a HANS....best purchase I made, those who were at NHIS this year for the first race, saw I REALLY tested it.

EDIT: I re-read your post...you mention Hutchens, and how your product "may" work better.....hypothetically, let's say it works twice as well, for the same cost as a Hutchens, I still dont think you will grab additonally customers...you may gain some market share from Simpson, Hutchens, d-cell, etc, but I think you were targeting those who have not purchased due to price

[This message has been edited by itbgti (edited September 30, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by itbgti (edited September 30, 2004).]

Alan,

Great post, for several reasons. I found interesting two comments:

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">FYI- I own/use a HANS....best purchase I made, those who were at NHIS this year for the first race, saw I REALLY tested it.</font>

You are a believer. Drivers who have had major hits are the best proponents of H&N restraints--forget the brand. Our second (?) customer lost his brakes at 130mph at the end of a straight and spent three months in a neck brace. Then he bought an Isaac system. You guys get it.

After your hit, did you say to yourself, "This thing is overpriced!"?

And,

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I think you were targeting those who have not purchased due to price.</font>
    Exactly. One might call them the non-believers. Either the sanctioning body or the wife says, "You must use something."

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

I think if you get in the range of the cost of entering a race weekend, approximately $250-300, you can't get much better than that. Note, I all ready own the standard Isaac system, though not tested .

Like Alan, I got a HANS before the 2004 season. Unlike Alan, I have yet to go on my lid with it. <knock wood>

As to the price point: My gut tells me it has to drop all the way to $149 to be a no-brainer. At that point, it's cheaper than a regional, cheaper than a decent helmet, cheaper than a tire. I can picture lots of non-believers saying, "OK, OK, so I'll get one ..." at that price.

Steve U
    05 ITS
    Flatout Motorsports

Just remember to post every test detail for Juan (or whatever his name is over at SM.com) even if Hutchens and G-Force doesn't

------------------
    Scott Rhea
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

Izzy's Custom Cages

LOL!! Scott, you lurker you!

Ah yes, the infamous Juan. :beatheadagainstwallicon: Sheesh.

Let's all think happy thoughts, okay?

Now, where were we?

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Hi Gregg. I agree with the rest of this post that a price around $200-$300 would be cool. I think even $300 would grab my attention. I'm a pretty low budget guy and have been interested in getting a H&N restraint for awhile now. For me it's not the sacrifice of go fast goodie or more safety, it's more 'get this part so that I can actually race' or not race and get an H&N restraint. It's that old "how much to you value your head" arguement which I know I'm on the wrong side of. So I like the idea of an affordable device. The one thing I would have to be sure of is that the device, at this lower price, would still function well. I like the Isaac, looks like a cool idea, but I would have to know that the more affordable option would still perform. Kind of a tough bind for you isn't it! I do appreciate your efforts though.

On a different note, I do have one question about the Issac. I don't currently race enduro's, but lets say I did and a driver change was part of the race. With the Hans and others, each driver can just hop out or in wearing whatever. Lets say each driver is an Issac user. Can the Issac quickly go from one person to the next?

Thanks Gregg.

Ben Harding

Ben, remind me about this question next weekend. You can see just how easy it is. The Isaac stays in the car and all the driver needs is the helmet with the mounts glued/screwed to it. As soon as the driver hops in, it's belts, steering wheel, radio, Isaac (or some order like that) and away you go.

If you want to know more about that, just shoot me an e-mail. I don't want to clutter up Gregg's thread anymore...

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

We were just chatting about this on another forum... and I'll be running in the Last Chance Enduro at the Glen with mine; another driver has a HANS, and one has nothing at all. We'll just pop in the ISAAC when I'm in, just clip it onto the belts as needed...

------------------
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
    www.vaughanscott.com

Ben,

Since you said $200-$300 would grab your attention, how come you have not looked at the Hutchens style H&N restraints?

(I only ask this to help Gregg's original question of what the right price would be, and to help prove my point of <$200)

Regards,
    Alan

Some good points have been raised so far. I'd like to get into this more, but need to finish up a few things before the work week ends.

In the meantime,

Originally posted by benracin:
    ...The one thing I would have to be sure of is that the device, at this lower price, would still function well. I like the Isaac, looks like a cool idea, but I would have to know that the more affordable option would still perform. Kind of a tough bind for you isn't it! I do appreciate your efforts though...

Thanks Gregg.

Ben Harding
    Ben,

We are estimating (really rough) that it is going to come in at between 300 and 600 pounds of load in a 45G sled test, maybe better. For comparison, check here: http://isaacdirect.com/html/chart.html

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    Exactly. One might call them the non-believers. Either the sanctioning body or the wife says, "You must use something."
    (I don't know that I've ever quoted myself before, but it's a good way to make a correction.)

I was wrong. Ben is a good example of a budget-conscious believer. He is price sensitive, but for different reasons than the non-believer.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Originally posted by ulfelder:
    ...As to the price point: My gut tells me it has to drop all the way to $149 to be a no-brainer. At that point, it's cheaper than a regional, cheaper than a decent helmet, cheaper than a tire. I can picture lots of non-believers saying, "OK, OK, so I'll get one ..." at that price.

Steve U
    05 ITS
    Flatout Motorsports
    Steve,

Ouch. $149 would definitely get a lot of attention, but I don't believe it is possible. The liability exposure alone is probably that much per sale.

Nice target price though!

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

FYI, readers may want to examine how major products perform, their costs and which represents the best buy. We did a rough analysis a while back, so I thought we might throw this out for you to play with. Feel free to tinker with the numbers.

Unfortunately, many buyers do not get this detailed in their product evaluations. For the purpose of this thread, we are talking about the guy who considers all products the same and wants to buy on the cheap.

http://www.isaacdirect.com/Productpricing.xls

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

FWIW. Been out of a racecar for two years now. I definetly plan in being in one next year. I plan on having some sort of H&N restraint.

I will probably being doing Co-drivers races, or if we do actually get two cars going, swapping cars regularly.

Since he already he already has a HANS devise, That would naturally bee my first choice. Just so that we are compatible, consistant, and to ease the confusion of swapping drivers.

However, As a stand alone racer, with my own car, and no other facters added in. I would already be looking at your product. Price it under $500.00 and I'll be looking at it even if this deal goes through.

This is club racing. The speeds are low. The rules prohibit car to car contact. I am a good driver and my car is safe. I don't need to spend big bucks for something that I will never need. I won't happen to me, it only happens to the other guy.

Until you get past the club racing denial syndrome you could give them away and not all drivers would use them.

Having said that there is still one other device out there that no one has mentioned. The Wright device. Plans for which are available on the internet for users to construct their own at minimal cost. How many of them have you seen in use?

2%??? I had no idea the number was that small.

I own the intermediate issac (I think that's the model). But as far as the guys I race with that don't have a restraint system goes. They tend to think of cost in terms of racing "components" i.e. cost of tires, entry fees etc.

Realistically, with these guys, you would need to be not much more then one "race tire", and less then one "entry fee". Say sub $200 level. Otherwise this group will just blow it off without a second thought. Regardless of how great the product is.

Wayne