Thread: Who would be a mentor.

Default Who would be a mentor.

Al aka (Bad Al)made a comment about having a list of mentors on the IT Board. I think it is a great idea so I will start the topic. Maybe we can even keep the list at the top or in a new category called Getting Started so when someone new comes along they have a place to go and look for people to help. I think the list should include, name, email address or a way to contact them and what region or area you live in since some of us live out of region. I'll even start.

Sam Rolfe
    [email protected]
    New England Region member, living in the Arizona Region

------------------
    Sam Rolfe
    TBR Motorsports
    #85 ITC VW Rabbit
    #85 GP Scirocco

Great thought Al/Sam.

David Dewhurst
    [email protected]
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    #14 1st gen Mazda RX-7 ITA/7

When I grow up I want to be Bad Al Bell.

Dave Parker
    [email protected]
    wdcr ITC#97
    wdcr ITB#97
    A1 and A2 VW's

This is a great idea, of course.

As with anything though there are some pitfalls. How 'official' is the program? Who appoints? Once you are appointed "mentor", what standards do you adhere to? What structure does the program consist of?
    (Kirk can whip this stuff out in his sleep, no doubt)

That said, I volunteer! (This is easy, cuz those that make the decisions will say, "Ummmm... yea...thanks Jake, but maybe next time..."

I also like the idea of a FAQ on this site..perhaps consisting of threads or excerps of previous threads. We repeat a lot of good info.

I still think the first answer to any question should be:
    A- Buy a GCR' and...

B- Go to the track and volunteer

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I'd sure volunteer to help out in NC Region but of course, the academic in me would want to do the program correctly.

Research suggests that there are some factors that influence the success of a mentorship program, pretty much regardless of the substance or targeted group...

** Most importantly - screening and selection of mentors who really have the skill set necessary for the job

** Support for the program from decision-makers and policy leaders working in the mentoring setting

** Clearly defined goals and objectives for the program - this is critical to avoid a situation known as "transformation of intentions," where mentors, program managers, participants, or other stakeholders re-purpose the mentorship activities to align with their own sense of "how the program is supposed to work."

** Appropriate skill building for mentors and participants - teamwork, communication, decision making, conflict resolution, organization, and lots of other potential areas of weakness

** Clear, shared expectations of behavior for all parties

** Effective organizational structure to manage potentially complex and volatile interactions

** Sufficient resources to support mentorship activities

** Formative evaluation to provide feedback to program managers so the program can be improved

K

Seeee???? He posted that at 11:19!!!!

He CAN do this stuff in his sleep!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]