Thread: What to do and where to go at first race

Default What to do and where to go at first race

I am planning on attending my first IT race at Mid-Ohio in September. I have done lots of BMWCCA races but I think they are a little more layed back then SCCA.

I was wondering how does the day unfold. I get anxious when I am not sure where to go or what to do. I was looking for info on what to do from when you arrive at the track to getting registered and then to tech and such. What order do these things happen and what do I need to have with me.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

I'm assuming you're talking about driving and not just spectating.

If you're car doesn't have an SCCA logbook, by all means get it teched prior to going to the track...you don't want to be thrashing fixing something that does not pass on race day. Most SCCA regions have a safety steward/tech inspector that will tech the car in advance for you. Good idea to do 2-3 weeks in advance to get annnual tech/log book.

First you'll check in at registration...if you've pre-registered they'll sign you in, take your $$$$ if you haven't paid in advance, give you a packet with the supp regs and tech sheets to fill out. Find a place to park and get to tech shed.

Many regions have late afternoon registration the day before the race.

Assuming the car has an annual SCCA tech, they won't have to look at your car...you just carry the logbook and your driving gear to tech shed and get your tech sticker for the car.

Have you received your SCCA license or novice permit yet? How is this your first race and you haven't gone thru all this during the school process?

[This message has been edited by grayracer (edited August 19, 2004).]

Has your car received its annual tech? If not, it's especially important for you to get through registration as early on Friday evening as the schedule allows. Then on to tech. If your car is in the waived tech group for the weekend (meaning that annual tech approval is waived and the car must receive a full inspection) you should do the same thing.

Where in the schedule is your run group? If it's early, you need to get everything done as soon as possible regardless whether or not you need an annual tech/waived tech group. It doesn't take long to do the underwear check, but this event is usually a big one as it's the last before the Runoffs and draws a lot of national drivers looking for cheap track time.

Find someone with Mid-O experience in your class to paddock with and ask them to keep you pointed in the right direction throughout the weekend. Don't be late to the grid. Double Regionals are on a very tight schedule. Get to grid as early as possible for practice/qualifying. Ask your paddock mate if you can follow him around for the first couple of laps. Running together will provide you with a sense of how SCCA competitors handle traffic. That may or may not be different from your experience.

Find out where times will be posted. At Mid-O that's usually at the base of the tower.

Did I mention don't be late to the grid? For your races, get there before the five minute warning. Keep track of the schedule and what's happening in the race before yours. If it's a no schedule schedule (races "to be followed by") you will have to be very much on top of events. You may or may not get a call to the grid depending on what's going on in race control. If they're busy with incidents it's one of the things that gets dropped.

When you end a practice/qualifying session be alert for someone directing you to impound. Know where it is beforehand. Go. Don't play games with this. If you even suspect you've finished in the top four (or whatever the supplemental regulations say) in your class, go to impound even if not directed to do so.

Read the supplemental regulations. If there is anything you don't understand in them, find the Chief Steward and ask. Don't rely on other competitors to interpret them. Most won't read them anyway.

Thanks for the input. The car has it's annual tech and log book. I recieved my license through my experience in BMWCCA club racing. I have lots of Mid-O experience and know my way around the track and facilities but just not during a SCCA event.

SO when I pull in I go to registration and take what? My license, logbook, ?? Do you just pull your rig off the road near registration?

Thanks again.

Michael

With the annual I just need to take my logbook, driving suit, shoes, gloves, helmet, and sox to tech and get the sticker?

How about drivers meeting and such? Any of those?

Also, do they grid on the other side of the pond like other clubs?

Read the Supps. Read the Supps again and then read the Supps one more time. The race schedule is illusory at best but you should at least understand the order of race groups so that when the group before you goes to the grid, you will know to get ready for your session.
    Develop a check list for your car and go thru it before every session. Do not forget to torque the tires before every session. Make it your religious practice along with making sure that your helmet, gloves and head sock are with the car.
    Find or develop a reliable crew person. Your spouse may be able to do this. You dont really need a good mechanic, just someone who can help you get into the car and help with the basics.
    Now, go have fun!

Mike--you really only need your membership/license picture ID for registration. If you have a crew, try and make certain that they are with you so you can all sign the waiver in the package the registrar will have for you at the same time.

I would think that while the track is neat, the M-O management is a bit "uptight" and that sometimes descends upon our SCCA volunteers. So by all means, read and follow those Supps.

Now for a more relaxed facility, come race at Nelson Ledges--none freindlier!

This is all great advice but is also a great example of why it is so valuable to crew and/or work events for a while before driving.

I spent five years going to SCCA and IMSA club and pro events in various capacities so, by the time i got behind the wheel, I could concentrate on the driving stuff. Everything else was 2nd nature, I knew all of the people, and had the procedures down.

I went through the driver licensing process again this past winter and was absolutely amazed that many of my classmates had never been to an SCCA event before they bought Nomex. They were at a huge disadvantage.

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited August 20, 2004).]

The major differences I see between the two hosts is numbers. The SCCA races will be packed when compared to the BMWCCA races. Therefore, get all paperwork done early. Pay early. Go to registration with your whole crew (if any) so you only have to go once. The sooner you can complete registration, the sooner you can complete tech and be ready to race. Other than that, the weekend should unfold similar to the CCA weekend.

The other comment I would make is that in the first couple of laps the SCCA boys will be c o n s i d e r a b l y more AGRESSIVE Expect double or tripple wide for the first couple of turns/laps. After that, business as usual. Have fun:

------------------
    Chuck Baader
    #36 ITA E30 BMW
    Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

1. Don't wait to get to the track for any prep.

2. Put your gear in ONE bag with your license and checkbook.

3. Have lots of water and/or gatorade

4. Put beer on ice at lunch.

5. Park next to the worst looking car in the paddock. If you need help the guy in the 18 wheeler will be giving you numbers in Detroit and telling you FEDEX is the answer. The guy with the wreck will hand you a spool of safety wire, a bag of tie wraps and appear with a welding helmet and get you through the weekend.

6. Don't try to win. Get signed off. Stay out of trouble.

7. Don't take your wife or girlfriend unless she's a certified mechanic.

8. Bring your own toilet paper. Baby wipes are especially nice. Sort of tingly. :-) Race tracks generally have 60 grit.

9. Use pre-session checklists.

10. Don't bring your wife or girlfriend...did I cover that one already?

11. Check the air pressure in your trailer and truck tires.

12. Bring a pillow. Catching z's between sessions is very refreshing.

13. Keep the gas tank full.

14. After you forget the pre-session checklists on your printer at home remember to torque the wheels.

15. Have fun.

matt good list.
    maybe there is a profit opportunity here. i could rent myself out as a logistics coach for new racers. oh wait most of us do that already for free.
    try to meet some one early (maybe in the registration line)who is in your class or run group. ask if you can paddock near them and go to tech ect with them.
    dick

Having spent a few years doing Porsche Club Racing, the big difference is that there are more requirements to get your license than in SCCA (amount of track time). Although there are guys in SCCA who are good enough to make it as a pro, there are others who only have the two race schools for experience. So be defensive..........