Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote camera??

Default Remote camera??

We currently have a sony camcorder that has inputs for a remote camera....Id like to know what everybody else runs?? Cost?performance? compatability?weatherproof? vibration?multipal inputs?and where to get possibly a discount?? THANX mike g

Yup that's what I do. got my stuff at supercurcuits.com Great stuff. You can see my videos at www.racerjake.com. The weatherproof hi-rez cameras are like $100 and are easy to mount. I use a remote mic now in my helmet. I've also run with a video processor to get 2-4 views multiplexed.

jake, tell me about this vidio processor. i would like to do this but i am not smart enought to know what to buy. I assume you have found a 12 volt color unit that multiplexes 4 signals like we see on security systems. do you use a standard camcorder with inputs. i have noticed 12v recorders sold for police cars in some of the catalogs.
    dick

Yes...tell us more...please.which camera do you use? mike g.

I have always wanted to do a two camera setup, horizontal formats, as the windsheild view lends itself to that format. One front view, one rear view. Is there a video processor unit that is appropriate?

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I just starting using the Racer Jake Video system. I personally like having only one screen; I think seeing multiple views at the same time is just too busy. The system came with a powered mic and remote lip stick camera. You just need the camcorder (just bought a JVC mini DV camera for $300).

I originally mounted the lip stick camera on my cage, but had lighting issues. Today I commited to a new mounting point and took the car around the block to see how it worked. Really cool!!! I took the mount the lip stick came with and mounted it on top of the roof. From this perspective you see the hood of the car and can see plenty on the right and left. It is also really easy to adjust and no more windshield glare. (and yeah, Jake made this suggestion) The Racer Jake video system also came with a powered mic which I have mounted in the car.

I can't wait to try it out on the track!

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Guess I should answer some of your other questions. Vibration - none, really! Weather proof lipstick camera. Compatible as long as you have video / audio in. Performance - great.

The lipstick I bought was $160, mic was about $15, cables another $20.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

and where would be the best place to buy/get information about the lipstick camera???

------------------
    Chuck Baader
    E30 ITA under construction
    Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

I think this is the camera I have:

http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prodinf...tem=35&mitem=40

There are several weatherproof cameras available, some with IR, (to see the pedals) some with zoom.

This is the quad processor that I've been using
    http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prodinf...tem=10&mitem=13

It will do 4 views, or a Picture in Picture that you can view in any quadrant. Just hook the cameras into the processor and plug the video out into your camcorder.

Plus you'll need a mic:
    http://www.supercircuits.com/store/prodinf...tem=15&mitem=24

Everything runs on 12V right off your car's power supply. I built a junction box with a main power switch to power the whole thing with all the correct connectors. You need to be a bit handy with wiring since most of the junctions will be BNC, but you'll have to convert to RCA for your camera.

I've also found a high quality 12V VCR that works with this system if you don't have a camcorder (sorry Dave, should have found this before you bought your miniDV) - we have some good footage using it.

Dave's been trying to get on my case about building turn-key systems. Maybe I should have listened!

I would suggest calling the order in for the camera. I was pretty sure I used the same link Jake provided but received a B/W camera.

Also, there is a PC75WR for $150. Couldn't figure out what was different between that and the other one Jake referred to (PC157WR). Now I've become curious. Went and looked at my camera. It has a model KPC-S230C on it. I couldn't find that model on their web site.

The customer service when I called was very good (after got the B/W one). The guy I spoke with was very familiar with using the camera for racing purposes.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Originally posted by Jake:
    ...Dave's been trying to get on my case about building turn-key systems. Maybe I should have listened!
    Yeah! I hereby declare Isaac,LLC customer #1. Seriously Jake, let's talk.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

PC75WR is color. That's what I use; it works great.

RadioShack has a BNC --> RCA adaptor for the video wiring.

Northern Tools has an awesome plastic box (think "Ammo Box") that I use, bolted to the floor. Cut some foam and I put the camera and my radio in it. Serves as a sorta-seat for the crew, too....

I had the same issue Dave Gran had - lighting issues. With the above-mentioned camera mounted to the main cage, just over my right shoulder, I see a lot of the dash (black) and the roof (formerly black), in addition to the outside. The camera is an auto-balance setup, so it tries to compensate....

Yep, with so much black in its view, the camera overexposes the outside.

I painted the inside of my roof white (easier for me with a removable hardtop), and it helped a ton; I may move the camera forward/outside at some point, but right now I like being able to see how smooth I am (or, more the case, am not) as I'm going through the turns.

In my Miata, I can see from A-pillar to A-pillar with this camera.

Jarrod

Quote:
    I've also found a high quality 12V VCR that works with this system if you don't have a camcorder (sorry Dave, should have found this before you bought your miniDV) - we have some good footage using it.

Please tell me about the 12v VCR. My camcorder died this last race.

Steve

I would still suggest getting an "inexpensive" mini DV camcorder. Works great, can watch the video while still at the track, still be able to use it as a cam corder, photos, ect. I am also very happy with the resolution I get with it.

(Bought the JVC GR-D70U at buydig.com)

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Well, as long as I'm giving away all my secrets...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DQHryoGxlXN/c...rch=clarion+vcr

Jake,
    how long have you been running the system. is the vcr heat sensitive. i am assuming that you can not put the vcr in a padded box as it might overheat. does it upset he vcr when the ride gets bumpy. can you play back the tapes in an ordinary vcr or must you always use the quad adapter to view it. This is some cool S*#t
    dick

Come on...I know you guys have some more info to share!!!

Dick - I haven't yet used the VCR in the race car, only in street cars. But even there, we've strapped it down with a piece of foam under it to provide isolation. Withe the isolation mount, I'm sure it would work well in the race car too. I use the MiniDV recorder in the race car 'cuz it's small enough to keep it in the glove compartment (my output wires go into there) and it makes video editing easier. Stop by at the June LRP race and I'll give you the tour of the system.

And no, once it is recorded you don't need the quad processor anymore.

Originally posted by Jake:
    Stop by at the June LRP race and I'll give you the tour of the system.
    I absolutly will

has anyone tried a digital recording device, one that records to a hard drive instead of a moving tape. sorry if i get the terms wrong, this is really not my field.
    dick

Jake and I park next to each other in the paddock, so you can take a look at how I mounted my camera as well.

I'm not sure how much you would benefit from recording to a hard drive. Because the Mini DV is not acting as the camera and just a VCR, the stability is great. There is NO shaking (well, unless I decide to take a trip across the grass again).

I'll tape the qualifying session as well - you can take a look at the video for yourself.

(I have a yellow prelude; Jake has the yellow/red MR2)

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude