Thread: Ford Heavy Duty Brake fluid?

Default Ford Heavy Duty Brake fluid?

I heard from another racer that Ford has changed their HD brake fluid and it's not the cheap racer fluid it once was. Does anyone have any solid info on this? My local ford dealership has a less than helpful parts guy "We only have one kind of brake fluid."

I dont have them in front of me at the moment, but I remember the METAL cans had the boiling points printed on the outside? If so, it should be easy to cross-check with the new stuff (if it is).

- Tom

I purchased some Ford fluid the other week, in the tall blue can, and did notice it was DOT4 fluid. I thought the stuff I purchased a few years back was DOT3. The wet boiling point is printed on the can (I think 383), but the dry boiling point is not.

The retail price to me was ~$10 a can, years ago it was more like $6 a can. It was, and may still be a good replacement for ATE or other racing type fluids. I only buy it since I have to mail order (or purchase at the track) ATE, and cannot justify paying shipping if it is the only thing I need to order.

[This message has been edited by tac911t (edited April 21, 2004).]

Ford changed the PN on the HD fluid. It used to be C6AZ-19542-AA but is now called PM-1. Lots simpler number, anyway...

It's my understanding that it is the same stuff and I've been using it in my SS car this year. No problems to date but I haven't seen a truly hot weekend yet.

K

EDIT - BP is listed as 550 (dry) and 290 (wet)

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited April 21, 2004).]

i think the PN is PN-1.i use in my ITB car down here in fl. no brake problems yet.

I've been using the Ford 550deg fluid for 12 years without any problems.

A year or so ago, someone posted a list of most of the popular racing fluids. IIRC, the Ford HD had the exact same specs as Motul 550, and was rumored to be the same stuff. I've also heard the Wilwood 550 was the same alos, but have never seen or used it. I use the ATE as it lets me use the two different colors, so it's easy to see when the system has been fully bled. Don't know if Ford's changed their stuff or not.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Hi all
    The Ford dot 3 brake fluid is the same as the old part # c6az 19542 ab. It is ford spec# esa-m6c25-a. Same dry boiling point 550 & wet 284. The tall blue can you purchased is dot 4 part# ys4z 19542 aa. It is recommended for use in the Focus & other applications that dot 4 is specified.

MSRP for the dot 3 is $3.54 it is the dot 4 that is $10.31. I and RST have used the dot 3 for many years with no problem. We carry a supply with us if anyone needs any we can help you out.
    Tom Gray
    crew chief

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited April 27, 2004).]