Thread: Track Records

Default Track Records

I realize I should probably know this, but I don't. How are track records officially recognized and recorded? Is there something governing this in the gcr, or is it done on a regional basis?

We occasionally have people who will run laps "better then existing track record" as an Astrix on the results sheet. We also have a track record sheet that lists all the classes and their respective track record holders. Although I'm not entirely sure it is updated very often.

How exactly does one officially get a track record? Do you have to run X laps better then the record, or X times?

Wayne

no magic. one lap during a race, qualifying does not count. lap records should be updated every event. multable configuation tracks have seperate records for each configuration.

Unless you are at Pocono... the track is a blast, but nobody has been able to ever show me any track records...

All the other tracks in the northeast seem to have a well organized track record recording system. Track records are usually posted near the timing building/results board. I think it is the SCCA local regions (the ones hosting races) that keep track of them.

Raymond

Must just be my region then. Lap records, no big deal, don't worry about it.

If I were selling a car that held the track record, it would be nice to have a document that said as much.

Wayne

...and it would be meaningful if a full, post-race teardown and confirmation of legality were required for the record to be "official."

I know of at least one IT car in history that held at least one lap record for a while that had a rollcage that was made largely of muffler tubing.

K

San Francisco Region has both qual and race records.

http://www.sfrscca.org/RoadRacing/Records/index.html

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

The ITA qualifying record at Laguna was held by a CRX for a long time. It is now held by a Miata. I'll bet that the ITA time will not be beat in our lifetime, no matter what kind of car you put in ITA.

Originally posted by Quickshoe:
    The ITA qualifying record at Laguna was held by a CRX for a long time. It is now held by a Miata. I'll bet that the ITA time will not be beat in our lifetime, no matter what kind of car you put in ITA.
    Wow!!! Over 1:30 faster than Stretch's race record time! Guess I'm gonna have to trade my 240SX for a Miata (as soon as I can figure out how to shoehorn my 6'-4" self into one).

With respect to Kirk's point, I've often wondered if there was any additional inspection/scrutinization done when a car sets a new track record. Can I assume from this that there is none? So is there nothing to stop me from dropping a EP engine into my 240, maybe adding a little NO2, and going out and getting a new record (of course, in my case all that would probably only prevent me from getting lapped )?

------------------
    Earl R
    Aspiring 240SX pilot

[This message has been edited by erlrich (edited April 16, 2004).]

...So is there nothing to stop me from dropping a EP engine into my 240, maybe adding a little NO2, and going out and getting a new record...?
    Nope, nothing, unless you coincidentally get torn down due to placing well or competitor protest.

If you want posterity, you could drop in that EP engine, get your lap, then "drop out" of the race for one reason or another...

Is there any place online I can find SCCA race lap time per class. Like whats in the SCCA magazine and our regional newsletters? I had years of these magazines and when I moved somehow they all disapeared. Me thinks it was the wifeE.

So can I look these up anywhere online? For example say an ITA race June 10th 1997 at LRP.