Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completed my first track day!!!!!!

I would second andy on coming to nhis. lrp is a very cool place but the track is not typical. racing a more technical track like nhis is quite different.
    dick

Hey Drew,

I was your instructor for the first session - great job. I've seen your posts online - I'm glad you had fun. See you in ITS!!

Rob Driscoll
    Auto Technic, LLC.
    6 Danbury Road
    New Milford, CT. 06776
    www.autotechnic.net

Ummm...thanks Gregg! Better than what you said about GregA! (Don't forget to get the deposit on the Hoo.. er ..."Umbrella" girls in early so we have the best choice for the ARRCs!)

Raymond makes good points....I remember my first race or two. Sheeeesh they came at me so fast I was so busy getting out of the way I never got up to speed! It was crazy! But great! One day, my buddy Kurt Weiss, who was the fast ITA guy then, in his RX-3, slipped under me in Big Bend, and I decided to "step it up" and hang with him. I learned more in the next 6 corners than I had in 30 laps of racing. Watching that RX-3 up close, as it chucked and drifted through the corners was awesome, and I immediately saw he was on a whole 'nuther level! If you can find that guy, you'll learn a lot, and fast!

The jump from lapping days to racing is pretty big.

PS, Drew, if you can clear the time next November, I know somebody would love to have you as crew for the ARRCs......like me! (If Dick ITA15 rejects me!)

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Rob, are you sponsored by a BMW shop on rt7? I go by there every once and a while and always see the two BMWs in the garage.
    Jake, if I can get up to Louden, I'd love to crew for you. The only problem with racing at NHIS is that it is so far for me, and I don't think Bill(Umstead) would want to make the trek. He doesnt even go there. To crew though, I may be able to get up there.
    Oh and happy birthday to me. 18 today!
    ------------------
    Drew
    18 years old
    Wyndenup Racing
    ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
    Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49

[This message has been edited by THawkbh (edited April 13, 2004).]

Last year was my first year racing with SCCA (also did EMRA). Previous to club racing, I did SCDA, PDA, ect. Definately different! But doing those events are really, really helpful. You'll find that various instructors may tell you different things. Take the opportunity at HPDEs to try them for yourself and gain more comfort on the track. Don't be afraid to take advantage of having instructors ride with you and ask for lots of help. The more comfortable you can become on the track the better and more you'll enjoy racing.

Have you been to any of the SCCA regional races at LRP? If not, definately go. (There's one on Sat. 5/8)

I would recommend that you continue doing the HPDEs even in addition to SCCA racing. As we all say, seat time is very important. With a HPDE you get what, about 1 1/2 hrs plus seat time? Definately worth it!

As far as times go, that will definately come. When you are behind someone and they are going a bit faster then you, you'll start pushing things a bit more and automatically become faster.

(I too was instructing at the event with my Honda Civic si; also one of the guys that teched your car) If you go to the May SCCA event, stop by and say hi. I'll be driving a yellow ITA honda prelude.

Happy b-day!

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Getting behind someone on the track can make a huge difference... I think that I can drive pretty well, but I don't always feel 100% on game. Last year at Lime Rock during a qualifying nothing was clicking... I was turning horrible lap times and one of those darn (dare I say) ITC CRX's caught me and passed me!!! I followed him for a couple laps and then everything started to click. I like to consider myself a front running ITB car (without the Quaife it is impossible to catch Stephen or Scott Carlson but I can hang with others), and it sure was frustrating to get passed at Lime Rock by an ITC car.

The first time my brother and I raced at Lime Rock Rick Pocock showed us around a few laps (he was driving slow) then he picked up the pace. We learned a ton from that and tried to keep up as he picked up the pace...

My first time racing against the Bildon boys at Pocono I followed one of them in qualifying, learning their driving and where the track went. It was obvious he was the fastest car on the track, and I knew the entire time that I could go a lot faster on the straights... I didn't pass him though and just followed till the last two laps, then I used what I had learned on the infield from him and the straightaway speed of the Audi to pull off my first Pole position ever!!! I was nearly 2 seconds faster that 1 lap I did at 10/10ths. Probably my best race day ever, even though in the race my bro fought back and blew away the ITB field

Raymond Blethen