Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completed my first track day!!!!!!

Default Completed my first track day!!!!!!

Well yesterday(4/3), I attended the SCDA event at LRP. It was my first time on any race track. It was a great day. Being that I was the youngest driver there(17), everyone seemed to know who I was. I was driving the red 911SC. I think I did pretty well. My best time of the first session was a 1:32, and by the third session, I was down to 1:17. The instructors were great. Pretty soon, I'll be joining you guys in the ITS class in the RX-7.

Congrats!!! Now your hooked!! Good luck for the rest of the season! m glass.

[This message has been edited by m glassburner (edited April 04, 2004).]

Originally posted by THawkbh:
    Well yesterday(4/3), I attended the SCDA event at LRP. It was my first time on any race track. It was a great day. Being that I was the youngest driver there(17), everyone seemed to know who I was. I was driving the red 911SC. I think I did pretty well. My best time of the first session was a 1:32, and by the third session, I was down to 1:17. The instructors were great. Pretty soon, I'll be joining you guys in the ITS class in the RX-7.
    Taking the school at NHIS?

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    Taking the school at NHIS?

AB

No, NHIS is a really long haul for us. I think I'll be staying at Lime Rock for the first year or two, but there have been some talks of me doing an enduro with 3 other drivers at Pocono. I doubt that will happen anytime soon though.

------------------
    Drew
    17 years old
    Wyndenup Racing
    ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
    Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49 - Team Owner

Just curious, what are your guys' general lap times for LRP?

------------------
    Drew
    17 years old
    Wyndenup Racing
    ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
    Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49 - Team Owner

ITS laps LRP in the mid 1:01's at the front. A whole pile of drivers in the LOW 1:02's.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region

You don't want to know! Sheesh..... those ITS guys are hauling the mail these days...1:01s and 1:02s are the game.

At a test day Brian Reilly dragged me over to tell me he had just run a 1:00.05. (In his old RX-7. He now has an RX-8)

Give it time and the lap times will come. Big chuncks at first, then steadily bit by bit. Just running with the race group will suck you around faster than you can imagine!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by lateapex911:

those ITS guys are hauling the mail these days...1:01s and 1:02s are the game.
    Oh man, I guess I got ALOT of work to do. I hope your right about everyone pushing me to go faster.

I think EXTREMELY fast ITA cars are doing LRP in mid to high 1:02's. Crazy fast for an ITA car!

Don't EVEN try to keep up with the front of the pack in ITS. Some VERY fast drivers and cars. Drive your line, watch your mirrors, ask a lot of questions and be patient.

Yes definitely be patient. One of the track day folks I run with do not time laps simply because they want folks concentrating on their lines, braking points, technique, and not worrying about times.

If you get the car in the right place, speed will come... or something like that.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing your experience!

This year, I'll hang back and work on my lines, and hopefully finish both races so I can get my liscense, but next year I think I will try to improve lap times alot more. I'm not really in this to hang out around mid pack, but I don't want to do anything stupid. The instructors all said I was very smooth on the track, so don't be worried about runnin with me. I don't go dive-bombing into turns or anything.

------------------
    Drew
    18 years old
    Wyndenup Racing
    ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
    Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49

welcome to the club Drew

Daryl

Welcome to the IT world of racing !!!

I think one of the biggest things complained about in a race (by new and old drivers) are the issues that occur when someone is being lapped. I post this not to be a bully, or anything, but to let you know what to expect in your first couple races till you get up to speed. I certainly remind myself of this advice every race especially when I have car troubles.

My advice running with this group is to stay predictable. Drive your line but be aware of your surroundings. If someone is beside you give him or her room, most of us are not scared to go two wide in any turn (even the dreadful downhill at Lime Rock). It seams like yesterday I remember being lapped at least once by the faster ITS and ITB cars. Now I am lucky enough to have progressed to being able to do some lapping, so I have seen both sides of the “story.”

With some people it seems to be an issue, who has right of way etc. I don't want to start that debate; just look in archives and you should find tons of arguments!!! I just wanted you to know that everyone in the group is interested in very close but safe competition (we all like to bring our cars home in one piece). On the same hand people do take what some might call risks and you should not be surprised if you see someone passes you in any turn or if they expect you to go 2 wide on any turn especially at Lime Rock. You can run 2 lines in every turn at Lime Rock and you can pass people on the inside line or the outside line... I guess I just want you to expect that and not be surprised.

Also I want you to know that we welcome you with open arms, most of us are good friends and we all need to trust each other on the track. If you have any problems or you need help please feel free to stop over and visit the Audi camp!!!

Raymond Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Oh: PS: I would suggest you run the “Cheep Date” event at NHIS towards the end of the year. This event is a great event. The weekend includes two races and generally costs less than a normal 1-race weekend.

PSS: 1 bit more of advice... 99% of the people at the track will help you with anything, don't be afraid to ask!!!

------------------

RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com
    1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
    1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
    3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
    4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
    1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

drew
    i competed in my first season of wheel to wheel racing last year in an its rx7. if i can help you with anything feel free to ask. i drive the red/white #87
    john costello

Raymond, thanks for the heads up. I knew that you guys were agressive racers, but I didn't realize that I have a chance of getting into alot of trouble if I'm not paying extra close attention at all times. Hopefully the two SCCA schools I'm going to in the next 2 months won't be as rough.

------------------
    Drew
    18 years old
    Wyndenup Racing
    ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
    Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49

Drew,

You are going to love this whole IT thing--serious racers who know how to have fun but never go overboard.

(Except for "grega", whose tag line is, "Never lift".)

Good luck on your first year. Regardless of how it goes, you absolutely must be at the ARRC at Road Atlanta this fall. It's the IT Woodstock.

Gregg

Well that describes me. I'm VERY serious about this, but making sure I am having fun.
    Id love to go to RA, but I'm going to be driving soley at LRP for at least the first season.

Drew,

That makes total sense. Going to ARRC as a competitor in your first year is a big bite. But you can still go to ARRC just to see how the hot shoes do it.

Plus, rumor has it there may be a good party working. Some nonsense about motorhomes, hot tubs, umbrella girls, etc.

If you make it, just ask for Jake, aka "Party Central."

Gregg

Drew,

I would recommend at least one weekend at NHIS during a Double race. Much more value for your money and more seat time - that is what we all need!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region