Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting ready to race

That, and if you did gut the motor housing, you wouldn't be able to manually raise the lights..

Personally I think this is assinine but that's what IT racing can be like sometimes.

PaulC
    PS-1 RX-7 #33
    NASA, Norcal

What are you talking about! That 20 ounce weight savings that you get from gutting each headlight motor could be the difference between first place and MID PACK!!!!!
    (Please note the "over the top" tongue in cheek sarcasm this was written with)

------------------
    Tristan Smith
    Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56

This is a purely academic conversation but, applying this logic, I can gut the cat in my SSC car. Right?

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    This is a purely academic conversation but, applying this logic, I can gut the cat in my SSC car. Right?
    I don't know if you're responding to my position or the position of others, but....

No. I am absolutely NOT advocating it's OK to remove or modify anything that isn't allowed. My position is that why must a part have to work? If it is there and is complete, fine. When is not working considered a modification? Why?

Your cat not only needs the matrix because otherwise it would be a modification, but it must also work because you are running SS and must have functioning emissions controls.

So, I'll ask again, should someone be DQ'd for a blown headlight? That's effectively what this comes down to.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Then we agree - but I don't know why I have to keep trying to convince you of that, Geo.

Someone suggested removing headlight motors, I told the story of tech inspectors turning on headlights to see if they popped up - an easy check to see that the guts are there - and then you suggested that I wanted the bulbs to light up. I didn't say that I did.

The turn signals on my GTI quit working the week before I left for my school. I went through what I can without taking the damned interior BACK OUT - argh - including buying another switch stalk. They still don't work but I'm not too stressed about it. Heck - I might even be cheating in some people's book because there's no rule that allows me to disable the signals.

(Someone out there is doing a Hah-hah! dance right now - admit it.)

That is what makes academic conversations like this academic. They help us to understand things - like the difference between a headlight motor that doesn't work and one that isn't there.

K

Then we agree - but I don't know why I have to keep trying to convince you of that, Geo.

Someone suggested removing headlight motors, I told the story of tech inspectors turning on headlights to see if they popped up - an easy check to see that the guts are there - and then you suggested that I wanted the bulbs to light up. I didn't say that I did.
    OK, OK.

Kirk, it's because your responses have been short and somewhat cryptic. Look back at them. I couldn't follow fully what you were trying to say. Reading your posts seemed to suggest otherwise to me.

[edit because I wasn't born with the spelling gene]
    ------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited April 09, 2004).]

The turn signals on my GTI quit working the week before I left for my school. I went through what I can without taking the damned interior BACK OUT - argh - including buying another switch stalk. They still don't work but I'm not too stressed about it. Heck - I might even be cheating in some people's book because there's no rule that allows me to disable the signals.

(Someone out there is doing a Hah-hah! dance right now - admit it.)

That is what makes academic conversations like this academic. They help us to understand things - like the difference between a headlight motor that doesn't work and one that isn't there.

K
    That was a great post Kirk! Well written, and pretty damn funny!

But isn't it called the "Ah HA!!!!" dance in this case?
    LOL....

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]