Some people will say to only run them if it is raining hard. I say it depends on the car. On a relatively light FWD, I found that as long as the track was damp with NO patches of dry grey pavement, Dirt Stockers were a safe bet and would not overheat. Damp tracks without standing water can still be slicker than snail snot, especially if it is very cold out, and you need the soft compound in order to generate grip, and if you can't generate grip, you can't generate heat to cause overheating. If the track does start to dry out quickly i.e. dark surface with sunshine after a brief passing monsoon, you must start to drive off line to search for puddles. That can make it tough to judge when to go out on 'rains' vs drys. Experience helps in this case. My Dirt Stockers lasted several years. I have to replace them due to the cracks in the side walls from age, but they have plenty of tread left and have been used several times. If the track is damp and looks like it will stay damp, run the dirt stockers. If the track is damp but show signs of drying i.e. patches of grey in places, no spray from other cars, etc, then run your dry tires and be careful in the opening laps. In some cases, sticker Hoosier tires i.e. 'drys' work very well on a damp/drying track. I would normally scuff my Hoosier tires with a light heat cycle to help them last, but if there was a chance of rain for the race, I saved them for the race. That extra bit of 'softness' from a new unscuffed tire was a distinct advantage. (in fact they worked too well, and I wound up tagging somebody in the back when I closed on them much faster than I expected but that's another story).

The soap trick works great. Try it on a mirror and hold it over a tea kettle or pan of boiling water. Rub it on with one cloth and then buff it in with a clean, dry cloth. You'll leave a slight haze but you will be able to see clearly without fogging.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited March 26, 2004).]