Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Van vs pickup

I'll put another vote in for the p/u. However, if I didn't need it for work, and could have a dedicated tow vehicle, it would probably be a nice 'burban. Went from NJ to Road America last year for the June Sprints in a friend's 454 Vortec Suburban, pulling a 24' trailer. There were 3 of us in the truck, and even w/ all our gear, there was plenty of room for one person to stretch out and sleep in the back. It towed great, was comfy as hell, and could pass just about everything but a gas station. We averaged ~6.5 - 7 mpg. The other nice thing about a 'burban, is that if you put all the seats in, you can haul 6-7 people around in reasonable comfort.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

this discussion can cause about the same controversy as discussing college football or someone's wife. We all have our favorite tow vehicle and the various reasons that it works best for us. My wife would turn up her nose at a truck but will drive the Excursion, Suburban or Expedition any day(to name my last 3 tow vehicle) Her reason: SUV's are cool. Even the neice and nephew would rather us pick them up at school in the BIG TRUCK as either of the Miata's in the garage. Go figure. All I know is that if your significant other likes your tow vehicle, it is one less fight. And you can keep something else around to drive on daily basis.

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    I'll put another vote in for the p/u. However, if I didn't need it for work, and could have a dedicated tow vehicle, it would probably be a nice 'burban. Went from NJ to Road America last year for the June Sprints in a friend's 454 Vortec Suburban, pulling a 24' trailer. There were 3 of us in the truck, and even w/ all our gear, there was plenty of room for one person to stretch out and sleep in the back. It towed great, was comfy as hell, and could pass just about everything but a gas station. We averaged ~6.5 - 7 mpg. The other nice thing about a 'burban, is that if you put all the seats in, you can haul 6-7 people around in reasonable comfort.

Amen Brother! I towed my Honda on an open trailer for years with my Dakota. Typical tow was 100 miles round trip to Blackhawk or Road America. Not too bad if I took it easy. A bit of a white knuckler if I went thru Chicago to Gratten or Mid-Ohio.

Picked up an '89 Suburban with the big block with 96K miles. Guy I bought it from was a friend who owned it four years and he only put 10K miles on it. He only used it to tow his fishing boat. I took out the rear seat for space for tools/parts/tires. I took it down to Sebring from Wisconsin (3k miles) in January for the National. Hills? No problem. Winning drag races out of toll booths? No problem. Gas mileage was 10-11 which is only 2 mpg less than what I got with my V6 Dakota. It is so comfortable towing. You don't even know the trailer is back there. I used to get very tired towing with the Dakota on trips longer than 4 hours. I put in 12-14 hour days with the 'burb and felt fine. Best damn tow rig ever! Paid $2500 for it!

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited March 04, 2004).]

Well I think I am going to go with a van. I found a 96 E350 EXT Cargo VAN auto powerstroke diesel 2wd with 130k for 5500. F350s with the same specs are much much more. I am just worried about the gas milage in a van. Had a jeep which has no aero, it's like driving a brick wall down the HWY, and the milage sucked. Just worried a Van will be the same, but econo ford vans don't seem to bad aero wise.

This will be for towing the race car only the rest of the year it will sit behind the garage, except for the occasional runs to the depot or dump.

My other option was to trade my wifes new car in for an SUV. You guys may remmember that thread I started. I was thinking about the durango or armada.

I think the van is for atleast me the better option.

And the cool thing about vans kept behinfd the garage between races is the extra storage afforded!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]