Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford V10 Folks, advice needed

I think everyone will agree (or most of us) that a diesel is better for towing than a gas engine...would have LOVED to have one...but for me, the truck is going to sit 95% of the time, and will not move from Oct-Mar (except for some Depot runs). To cost justify a diesel was a big stretch..my ROI would have been in 2050 or something crazy like that...also, I already have a commuter vehicle, and a truck simply would not fit in the parking garage.

Thanks for the posts...notes:

Found sway bars online: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bi...con/7085FV.html thoughts?
    Anyone with experience with Superchips?: http://www.totallycustomtruck.com/site/587...61/product/1715

[This message has been edited by itbgti (edited January 19, 2004).]

same here, I was working at Ford and could have any truck I wanted with my blue oval D plan, I chose the V10 because 98% of the time its a daily driver and the v10 gets up to 65 mph in 2 shakes. I got my 03 F350 crew cab lariat for 29k out the door.

Wait a minute, you have a V10 and you want MORE power? That's SICK (you MUST be a racer!!)

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

I believe that my '01 V-10 was chipped with a SuperChip but would have to confirm with mechanic to be sure. I would think that any of the 3 or so big names in chips would be good. I think that the later models can be "flashed" rather than "chipped" but the effect is the same. It helps both power and mpg so just do it.

My brother-in-law is the service director at a Ford dealership. He has a V-10 Excursion. I have an '04 F-250 4x4 with a V-10, 3.73 gears. He has done a few mods and suggested I start with a Mac air intake, then a Superchip programmer (the one you can change from power to tow, or back to stock), then exhaust.

As cash permits, I will do things in that order, Right now I am getting 14 on the road empty, 10-12 around town, and a measured 9.8 on the road, towing an 8000lb 5th wheel trailer.

------------------
    Enjoy,
    Bill

[This message has been edited by EV (edited January 20, 2004).]

Found sway bars online: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bi...con/7085FV.html thoughts?

[This message has been edited by itbgti (edited January 19, 2004).][/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do...
    The rear bar for the excursion is not like the one shown. While mine now works well, it was not exactly bolt on. Don't know if it would be a direct bolt on for the F350, but the Ex, it was not.

First problem.....
    The U bend in the middle of the bar for axle clearance didn't. It would rub in a small spot against the hog's head.
    After a bit of looking and measuring, I had to shim the mount forward and downward with a few washers on each side. Then grind the back of the bar ever so slightly to give enough clearance so that it would not rub under comression or rebound.

Second issue.....
    The upper link mounts are designed more like these..
    http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bi...ml?mv_arg=41807

The upper mounting bolt goes through the link and into an existing horizontal frame hole. Problem is that is does not bolt to the frame, rather you are preventing up/down movement of the bolt by how tight the bolt/nut is. You only have the bolt head and tightening torque to provide this resistance. When you get real tight, you are sqeezing the upper link 'pivot' so to speak. Follow so far??
    So, after about 5000 miles, the bolts worked loose and I had a terrible 'clunk' of the rear bar as it weighted/unweighted.

Finally removed said bolt and welded a piece of 1/8x1x3" steel to the bolt just under the head (kind of like a large rectangular washer, welded to the bolt). This seems to be keeping everyting in check up to now. I would really like to weld these "washer" plates to the frame, but the fuel lines are in the way.

Even now that I got rid of the clunk, I suspect that this arrangement still adds a fair amount of "sticktion" to the linkage... May not matter cause the truck weighs 7000+, but I'd like to see a better mounting arrangement.

The Ford factory bar mounts in a better way. If the difference is less than say $50, I'd go for the Ford if I had to do it again.

[This message has been edited by eh_tony!!! (edited January 20, 2004).]

The stock F-350 rear bar was pure plug and play for my Exc. The hardest thing was marking the axle so that you get the shock mount back into the same position. Ive checked it a couple of times when I was rotating tires and still tight. Go Ford stuff.

whenry, do you happen to remember a ballpark cost for the F350 rear bar?

My '03 Excursion has a stock rear bar, but I've heard that the F350 bar is quite a bit bigger....and is a direct swap, so VERY simple.

Jarrod

I tow a 26' 8200lb trailer with car and gear with V10 Excursion. K&N intake and Borla exhaust. Tows like a champ. 12.5 mpg normal 8mpg towing @ 73mph. This is the smoothest motor at any RPM. It's a pleasure to drive. Wish mileage were better, but truck weighs 7150.

DC

I've got the '03 F350 Super Duty FX4 Offroad Package V10 (how's that for a name?) - what is the suggested thing to help reduce the amount of shifts it makes on the highway when towing my 24' enclosed. It pulls great but does tend to downshift more than I like. How to add more torque? Chip, exhaust?

Thanks,

------------------
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITS RX7
    BigSpeed Racing
    [email protected]
    NNJR

Originally posted by benspeed:
    I've got the '03 F350 Super Duty FX4 Offroad Package V10 (how's that for a name?) - what is the suggested thing to help reduce the amount of shifts it makes on the highway when towing my 24' enclosed. It pulls great but does tend to downshift more than I like. How to add more torque? Chip, exhaust?

With a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel!

Thanks,

Benspeed,

If you are towing with an automatic and are using the Dverdrive you probably need to tow in Drive. I did this with my suburban and it really helps. I saw very little drop in fuel economy.

Drive well.

The chip that we installed into the V10 also adjusted the shift points. I do find that if I have not towed in awhile, the shifts are kinda sloppy for the first miles.
    in response to the earlier inquiry about cost of OEM rear sway, I believe that it was $132 out the door. It will make a major difference in handling and cheap too.
    I do get somewhat better than 10 mpg towing my 20 ft Wells. 12.5-13mpg in normal driving. 15mpg going downhill ie Knoxville to Roebling Road.