Thread: Got my car, and stripped it...

Default Got my car, and stripped it...

Here's where it stands now. I paid $500 for the car and a blown up engine, the body is very solid and after stripping out the interior I only see a couple areas that need attention. The inside of the rear quarters are showing surface rust, and a couple spots where bolts were in the interior need to be stripped down. Stripping off the sound deadening material was much easier than I thought it would be, maybe because I am working in 15 degree weather

Wow! I'm in an almost identical situation. Picked an '89 CRX Si up for $500 with a dead engine that the owner claimed had a 'bearing problem'. Tires [cords fraying!] & muffler were shot but the body/interior was in great condition. After dragging it home, waited 'til after Christmas to fire it up. Had planned on getting a proper motor but who among us won't see how/if the original ran. . Found a good battery lying around and tried to turn engine over. Nothing. Starter relay wouldn't engage but the dash lit up nicely. Sunroof worked!
    Found an alarm system in the dash and rewired harness back to oe condition. Before attempting to restart, checked the oil level.....nonexistent. Added a couple of quarts. Checked the coolant. nonexistent Added several GALLONS until the you could hear water trickling down the back of the block onto the steering rack . Added some more coolant. Now OIL was running down the front of the block, on the direct opposite side of the block where the coolant was running .
    Closer inspection of the block revealed a hole the size of your fist clean through BOTH sides as a rod had let go.
    Just a slight 'bearing' problem .

eMkay: Is your car going to be finished in time for the start of the season.

Robert J.

Originally posted by Mr. Noodles:

eMkay: Is your car going to be finished in time for the start of the season.

Robert J.
    No, I hope to have it ready by the fall for the schools, I may autocross it before that, but I don't have the budget right now for roadracing this year

Just remember that part of the joy of working on a "Rust Free" car is not necessarily body work, but the ease at which parts unbolt!

Living in Buffalo, I have experienced this many times and I will look far and wide for a true "southern" or "Southwestern" car just for that reason. (even one that has minor accident damage)

HAVE FUN!!!!