Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts & bolts packages...

Default Nuts & bolts packages...

Yeah I know, this sounds like a silly post but...I've been looking to buy a collection of metric nuts / bolts. There have been a few instances where not having a silly bolt or nut has almost cost me or another racer friend not to be able to run because of the need of a bolt. Of course we never have the right size we need and have to wonder around asking people if they happen to have the right size.

I went to Home Depot, Lowes, several auto parts stores, local harware stores, some tool catalogs, ect. but have been unable to find a package of various bolts and nuts. Most places were selling 4 bolts for $.80, the you have to buy the nuts still. It seems this would be the expensive way of getting my assortment.

I'm sure there are places that sell a variety package out there at a decent price, right? Do you know what grade they are? I'm assuming that the bolts should be of an industrial grade?

[This message has been edited by gran racing (edited December 22, 2003).]

Grand....supplier mcmaster-carr company in atlanta. Trust me, they have everything, and in stock. web address is mcmaster.com and definitely order a catalog. They are industrial supply, but have most things needed to build and maintain a race car. chuck

Try Northerntool.com in there 2003 fall/winter master catalog they have a metric nut,bolt and lockwasher assortment box 240 pieces. Hope this helps.

Lou I
    NER ITA rx7 #79

Try this www.boltdepot.com LARGE amount of hardwhare! They ship UPS the same day!

Oh ya

I always forget

Mike
    ITA RX7 #21

I don't know what kind of car you are talking about but we gathered a stock of the right sized hardware by asking a friendly (OK, not so antagonistic) U-pick used parts place if we could buy a sack of hardware for $X.XX...

We just went out and unbolted a bunch of the parts that we need to hold on, from similar model cars and I was frankly a little surprised how few sizes we actually needed...

K

Try Metric and Multistandard Components, they truly have EVERYTHING in metric fasteners, in all grades. Very good pricing too. Not sure of their website, but you could do a search. Their catalog is like 4" thick.....

Bob

Another good place is Threads for the South in Marietta Ga. Carry just about anything including odd size and hard to find stuff

Chuck

Griots Garage has several assortments in metal storage units. pricey but complete. I look at their web site but couldn't locate them but their catalog has them in. TW

------------------
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
    "Hemi haulin' Rotary"

My buddy and sponsor at my local Napa store (Klover Napa in Bridgeport, CT) sold me my "spice rack" of metric nuts bolts and washers. About $100 for it all.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I have a Fastenal warehouse in my base town and they are willing to sell me small amounts of hardware.
    Unfortunately the average parts or hardware store dont see the need to carry much in the grade 8 or so quality. I did have a "friendly" True Value store close by who kept some good stuff stocked but the ownership changed. I bought out the metric inventory of a Quality Feed & Farm locally when they closed. I keep 3 large bolt boxes in the trailer for the various uses.

I'm with K on this--grab mucho oem fasteners from the JY (or wherever), clean them up and put them in a nice fishing tackel box.

Thanks for all the help!

That sounds like too much work to go to a Junk yard. I'll just buy one of those kits and hope.

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    My buddy and sponsor at my local Napa store (Klover Napa in Bridgeport, CT) sold me my "spice rack" of metric nuts bolts and washers. About $100 for it all.

Jake, is there a part Number on the assortment??

------------------
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
    "Hemi haulin' Rotary"

Try this http://www.nutty.com/assortments.html

------------------
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Dave,

Katz Hardware in Glastonbury has a decent supply of Grade 8 stuff. Don't know prices off hand cuz usually when we go there, it's because we need it. They will look at you a little odd if you walk in covered in grease with a strut in hand though!

Diane

Please don't flame this thought-but has anyone considered buying extra hardware at the dealership? We did and found that the prices asked were reasonable. Our local Pep Boys and NAPA do have bins with Grade 8 and Metric 10.9 grade hardware too. There are any number of fastener houses across the country. Could someone create a FAQ with a list from this thread? I'll add one more -Gateway Fastener in Export, PA.
    Happy holidays

------------------
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song
    '03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Check your local newspaper for auctions at industrial or mcahine shops. I usually go to 4 or 5 of these a year and buy mixed lots of hardware. I get lots of new in the box fastners. Nuts, bolts, screws, washers, roll pins, e-clips, O rings you name it. I sometimes pick up a deal on tools and shop equipment as well.

------------------
    Mark Jeffery
    ITA #92 '85 RX7
    MiDiv - Arkansas Region

I have boxes and boxes of assorted metric bolts/nuts for our race team. When we junk a car (many of them over the years) I will personally removed many bolts & nuts from the car and throw them into a box. I use my air ratchet. You would be amazed at how many nuts & bolts you will have just from one car.

Ummm. I would also caution people against using hardware store bolts - even the 'high-grade' ones - on ANYthing that you really count on: A lot of them are crrrrraaap.

That Azerbaijani metric 10.9 bolt might be hard but it might also be very brittle, just waiting to crack and set that brake caliper free...

Try this test: Take an OE Honda or VW bolt and one of the same size from Lowes or Home Despot, clamp each in a big vise and whack it sideways with a big hammer. A good bolt will ALWAYS bend - a lot - before it breaks.

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited December 24, 2003).]